Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot suggestions

JPatters

I am considering purchasing a red dot for USPSA. I had another thread on this forum where several posts suggested I put a red dot on my X5 Legion and shoot CO instead of production or Limited. I am new to USPSA.  I typically have trouble finding and tracking the dot when I am trying to go fast. I am told I need to practice and do dry fire drills. 

My question is if I want to got CO with the Legion, which RDS should I go with. I would like a large FOV.  I have a p320 M18 with a Sig Romeo 1 pro and that is what I used when I was having trouble finding and tracking the dot. Based on that, any suggestions for a red dot on the Legion?  I have looked at the new large optics (romeo3xl and max)from Sig as well well as the Trijicon SRO. The other idea is to forget the optic for now and just shoot limited. Thank you. 

Just shoot limited and dont worry about it.  You will get classed based on your score with that gun and ammo,  so really it doesnt matter that you would be scored minor until you get up to grandmaster unless you are really worried about your overall placement. It DOESNT MATTER .  Have no idea why these people are worrying you about this. 
You shoot a classifier with a score of 70% with 9mm ammo,,, you will be shooting against people that score a 70% with major ammo.  They will shoot a few more points, you will be a bit faster.
Put whatever funnels you want, go load to capacity dont worry about the dot if you dont want to. when you start losing by 1%  you can look towards a 40 limited gun, CO, or Open.  But really until then it doesnt matter.

Anywho,, I am putting a Burris FF IV on my Steel challenge open gun I am putting together.

If I was looking to spend some money and do carryops and didn't already have something else lying around, I would buy once  and cry once and just get a trugicon SRO.

That said, even though I've been trying I can't really love carry-ops and I'm probably going to just end up shooting something like single stack cause it's what I like. I'll just look at the overalls and see who I beat and who beat me and be happy. So you might decide to just shoot limited for a bit and see if you prefer irons over a DOT

romeo 3xl or max, or trijicon sro are pretty much the best and most popular. many of the sigs have had warranty problems with the buttons, but when it happened to us they had a new one at our door in 2 wks, and sig paid shipping both ways. however the sig is hella expensive now with the recent price increase.  i think its possible that a deltapoint pro in 6moa would work for me, but the 2.5moa i have is not quite bright enough for me in full sun at high speed.

if you show up to a match pretty much anyone will walk over to the safe table with you and let you look at their dot. That can be informative.

Edited by motosapiens

My personal favorite is the Alpha 3 by FTP. the girlfriend loves her Romeo 3 max. Most everyone I know uses the R3max/XL or SRO. If you can ask to look through a few different red dots. I found that on some the dot is clearer then others. Like for me the SRO looks like a blob, by the Alpha 3 is almost a perfect circle. Romeo 3 max is ok but bit of a Starburst. 

3 hours ago, JPatters said:

My question is if I want to got CO with the Legion, which RDS should I go with.

You'll have to buy an adapter plate if you go with an SRO or Romeo3 Max if your X5 Legion has the default optic cut. I would tape the front of the Romeo 1 Pro and dry fire until my index was good enough to consistently find the dot. You can find an article on occluding the dot here. Both the SRO and Romeo3 Max are solid choices for your criteria. The former is the reliable competition gold standard and the latter is slightly larger with better optical characteristics.

12 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Do you agree with that?

Yes, definitely. I have looking for training classes near Huntsville Alabama.  I am attending one in November, the other was filled. As far as dry fire practice, I am reading about how best to do that. I saw some information from Ben Stoeger. My concern with dry fire practice on my own is I could be practicing wrong and making things worse. 

2 hours ago, JPatters said:

My concern with dry fire practice on my own is I could be practicing wrong and making things worse. 

this is definitely true when it comes to trying to go fast and beat par times, but if your dry fire is focused on properly executing efficient movements to get the gun up and see the sight I don’t think you are in any danger of doing it wrong.

3 hours ago, JPatters said:

My concern with dry fire practice on my own is I could be practicing wrong and making things worse. 

A real concern.  @motosapiens gave you good advice.  Right now focus on proper repetitions.  You know what the outcome needs to be:

• A neutral and not clenched strong hand
  • A support hand that has a death grip as as high as possible on the side of the pistol
  • A dot that's in front of your eyes

Go slow, be very self critical, adjust as necessary, wash, rinse, repeat.