Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

square deal first station

I have been reloading on this press for 2 years and still have trouble getting that first piece of brass started consistantly . If i do not put that brass in the shell plate perfectly it will be off center and hit the die and not go in. I just cant run this press smooth and consistanly. Help?

Update   i installed  a  undersized lee 9mm die i made to fit the SD so now its really finicky. tried various finger swipes up down left right top of case bottom of case ect. nothing close to 100 %. going back to guide wire.

1 hour ago, loubob said:

Update   i installed  a  undersized lee 9mm die i made to fit the SD so now its really finicky. tried various finger swipes up down left right top of case bottom of case ect. nothing close to 100 %. going back to guide wire.

So… you were having problems with brass lining up with the Dillon die… so you opted to fit a die with an even smaller opening on the press. A bold move. 🤣

As for your issue… put the Dillon die back on… and just slow down and position the brass better. It’s just like going fast on steel poppers… a makeup shot will always be slower than just being more precise and getting it the first time. 😉

Had to switch dies, i am  down to my armscor 9mm 124 gr that measure .353 Ordered Delta Presision today. Always forget to ask dillion when getting parts because i had the wire on. already going slow, best method is setting case in and coming straight up.

starting the cases in the first station is the problem case does not index very well backes out if not gently and carefully inserted in shell holder thats why the wire retainer i glued on worked it stops it from backing out

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, loubob said:

just an update.....glueing a piece of plastic just in front of station has worked 100% of the time since then. thanks for replies.

Can you post a photo?

I cannot visualize what exactly you have done.

I have an old SDB and tall brass like .357 Mag is a bit finicky about placing the case in the first station. No problems with stumpy ones like .45ACP.

• 4 weeks later...

I was having the same problem and then I was also having shells fall out between 3 & 4.  I bought a new shell plate and it is running like a top now.  No more finicky indexing or feeding in station 1.  There were easily 10,000 rounds on mine and I bought it used.  So it was time.