Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From 1050 to 1100 - what's compatible?

I have an RL-1050, and I'm sick enough of the endlessly-creative ways my primer system likes to puke that I'm thinking of selling it and getting an 1100.

How much of the 1050 "stuff" I currently have will work on the 1100?  For example, are the toolheads compatible, or would I have to replace them?  Same question for shellplates, powder-drops, casefeeder heads, etc, etc, etc.

Thx

Bruce

Download and print a blue tip protector for your primer system.

It stops most of the problems caused by the fragile blue tip on the 1050 primer system. No more crushed tips, tipped primers, etc. Soft plastic, so almost no risk of a crushed primer detonating (which is also unlikely because primers now stay in the slide where they belong).

Screenshot_20221026_202700_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DownUnder

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about possible damage to the blue tip.  My primer issues are sporadic - maybe 1 or 2 per 1000 rounds - but they are VERY frustrating, as I have not found a way to clear them without removing the whole primer assembly from the press, and whenever I do that it (of course) spews the whole contents of the tube all over my bench.  

Lacking a 3D printer, do you know of anyone who makes such a tip protector?

Bruce

1 hour ago, bgary said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about possible damage to the blue tip.  My primer issues are sporadic - maybe 1 or 2 per 1000 rounds - but they are VERY frustrating, as I have not found a way to clear them without removing the whole primer assembly from the press, and whenever I do that it (of course) spews the whole contents of the tube all over my bench.  

Lacking a 3D printer, do you know of anyone who makes such a tip protector?

Bruce

For fun I printed one out. I live up the street from you in Anacortes. I teach fairly often in Skagit County. If you want to figure out a meeting time I'll bring it with me and give it to you.

Edited by dldarrow

13 hours ago, bgary said:

I have an RL-1050, and I'm sick enough of the endlessly-creative ways my primer system likes to puke that I'm thinking of selling it and getting an 1100.

How much of the 1050 "stuff" I currently have will work on the 1100?  For example, are the toolheads compatible, or would I have to replace them?  Same question for shellplates, powder-drops, casefeeder heads, etc, etc, etc.

Thx

Bruce

Great way to empty the primer tube without spilling primers everywhere. Primer issue are inevitable, it will happen on any and machines, necessary evil. 

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/primer-tube-discharge-system-for-dillon-super-1050

Toolheads are all the same except the ratchet "gear tooth" tab which can be easily replaced. If you even are using the ratchet tab. None of my machines use them. 

Something to note. Toolhead to shellplate distance WHEN at bottom stroke. Are all different between the the 3 gray dillon presses. IE. If you have size setup to touch shellplate on RL1050. Put same head on 1100 or super 1050. Your die will either be short of touching the shellplate or too far down to allow a full stroke. This is why I stay in the same family of dillon presses. 

I've printed that blue tip protector and used it for a while. Great idea in theory. Terrible idea in practice. It doesn't give any space for the primer slide/cam to discard crushed primers etc. If something gets drawn back its going to be very tight spacing and likely to damage the blue tip or set off all your primers. 

Maybe not as bad on manual operation.