Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the most reliable 1911 single stack .45 magazine

Gunsbygiz

As a guy who shoots single stack, I have tried them all. McCormicks are awesome. I just recently switched to Ed Brown magazines. Super happy with those. The Wilson’s are reliable but due to the follower design an in battery mag change can be a little rugged.

5 hours ago, gethirt said:

As a guy who shoots single stack, I have tried them all. McCormicks are awesome. I just recently switched to Ed Brown magazines. Super happy with those. The Wilson’s are reliable but due to the follower design an in battery mag change can be a little rugged.

Thank you, I have 1 Ed brown now, it does not have any issues but I’ll definitely try a McCormick too!

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I have this and that but lean towards CMC Power Mags or the RPM which have the stiffest springs I have found.  But they fed with no advance squashing of the springs.

Thank you very much 

The McCormick Power Mags I have do not drop free when empty, the follower moves forward when fired until empty and drags on the frame. The mags are reliable but do not drop free. Wilsons have worked well but maybe need more frequent spring and follower changes. Ed Browns have worked fine as have my Tripp mags.

One thing to watch is if you run a mag well some mags will not seat if the base mage is wider than the mag. I have a few like this and I think they are Meg-Gar and the Brownell 8 rd mags but do not remember off hand for sure.

I have used the OEM mags that came with my first 1911 45, Metalform, Tripp, McCormack, Wilson regular and Wilson ETM.  By far the best is the Wilson ETM.  You don't have to condition the spring, or worry about feed lips when you drop it.  Eight rounds load easily by hand and it is easily reloadable with the slide closed.  They drop free.  I didn't believe Wilson when I bought mine 11-12 years ago.  I ordered extra springs with them.  So 50,000 rounds later, the original springs are still going strong.

I do not like the new ETM 10 round mags in 45.  The rolled over feed lip design exerts too much pressure on the cartridge, resulting on feed problems for the first two rounds.  Maybe messing with the feed lip spacing would help.  Dunno.  The original 47D 10-round Wilsons are the cat's meow if you replace the follower with an ETM follower.  Then it becomes easily reloadable with the slide closed.

Have to see what Wilson 10 rounders I use, I think they are the ETM's have not had any issue with them or the Chip Mccormik Power plus (IIRC) 10  rounders.
I shot pins, so cant speak for the drop free part. Dont recall an issue,, but never reloaded or cleared on the clock either... For that matter if they were empty I was probably fubared anyways.

17 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

What's the consensus on Mec-Gar mags? 

I don't know about consensus, but their 10-rounders would not function in my Sig Tacops 1911 45.  Fortunately, Greg Cote was kind enough to take them back for a refund.

I've used everything from WC, to Tripp Research, to $7.00 Shooting Star mags (bought back in 2001 at the Del Mar Gun Show, when they had gun shows in California), all work if they're in spec, and the gun is in spec.

I prefer those where the basepad is removable, and not attached by inward bent tabs for easier cleaning, but that's a personal preference.

Act mags are working well lately, and are affordable. I don't like spending a lot of money on a design that is over 100 years old, so I avoid anything over $35.00.

Tripp's are beautiful mags, but they didn't work in my Sig Tacops 1911.

OP, go to the range and ask to try other peoples mags.  That way you'll find out what works in your gun.  Remember that mags made to work with the high mag catch shelves common today are not going to work well with mil spec shelfs.  And vice versa. 

6 hours ago, fraizer15 said:

I have and still use a couple of Wilson 45 mags I got in the mid 1980's.

So do I, I have 3 Wilson's 7 round office mags that I use for my Springfield armory 4" range officer compact They run 100%

Edited by usmc1974