Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help* Slide Racker Issue

SufferInSilence

I have this STI Franken-Gun I bought off someone here years back.  It works fine, just the slide racker is kinda hokie.  

It’s clearly handmade.  After several shots, it gets really loose, no matter how tight.  I’ve drowned it in every color of loctite (except red).  Everything else in the gun is legit.  Just looking for the right racker.  

- Is there an actual slide racker that’ll fit this? 
(not sure if it was handmade for a reason or they just didn’t buy the right one) 

- is there a more permanent solution out there? If I need to send it someplace for some slight milling I’m down.  Just don’t know who.  

Im in Tampa FL if that helps.  Thanks

slide and rack1.jpg

slide and rack2 .jpg

Edited by SufferInSilence

1 hour ago, SufferInSilence said:

Also, how the hell do I add legit pics to this forum? 😂 

Email from phone to PC. Download on PC. Then click on the choose files thingy and copy paste.

more or less

6 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Also, how the hell do I add legit pics to this forum? 😂 

Look at the bottom where it says “choose files” You can select a picture from your phone. Just be sure to resize it to a smaller image if necessary 

68405A69-E6C3-4117-822B-FBDA87B9684D.jpeg

2 hours ago, mscott said:

Look at the bottom where it says “choose files” You can select a picture from your phone. Just be sure to resize it to a smaller image if necessary 

68405A69-E6C3-4117-822B-FBDA87B9684D.jpeg

Thanks. I think it worked

The slide appears to be well machined but the racket itself looks beat up or modified with a dremel. Can you reach out to the original owner and find out who milled the slide? That may lead to a better racket for it.

Edited by BritinUSA

4 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The slide appears to be well machined but the racket itself looks beat up or modified with a dremel. Can you reach out to the original owner and find out who milled the slide? That may lead to a better racket for it.

The guy I got it from had no idea, he got it from another person. YES, its a totally beat up racker!! It was even worse before I smother it out with a dremel.  It looked like someone just whittled it out of some bar stock stainless steel. It's a total garage fix.  It always bugged me and now that I have the time/$$ to address it, I'd like to get something better. 

Anyone know what's up?? 

If it’s not a tight fit then it’s going to work itself loose every time.

You could probably mill it out to a common dovetail fit and get an off the shelf racket that will fit tighter. If you have a micrometer then you could try measuring it up and then searching online for something that is a little wider and then mill to fit.

15 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

If it’s not a tight fit then it’s going to work itself loose every time.

You could probably mill it out to a common dovetail fit and get an off the shelf racket that will fit tighter. If you have a micrometer then you could try measuring it up and then searching online for something that is a little wider and then mill to fit.

Looking for something a little… already done. I can’t imagine it to be such a “one-off cut”   I just don’t have access to other slide rachees to try out to see what fits.  

13 hours ago, LuvDog said:

Do you have a local smith?  Hopefully the current dovetail is narrower than what an off the shelf shooters connection or brazos is.. then they could widen it and put in a "standard" racker.

No I don’t.   I’ve been out of the game mostly since I moved to Tampa about 4 years ago.  If anyone knows a good smith lemme know.  

On 10/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, MikeBurgess said:

the racker itself looks a lot like the Shooters Connection Sidewinder that someone has tried to make look more like a Brazos Zig racker. the cut looks wrong for either

On yeah it does look pretty similar.  I’ll put a micrometer ti it tomorrow and let y’all know.  

On 10/25/2022 at 6:08 PM, BritinUSA said:

It looks similar to this one from Brazos http://www.1911store.com/slide-racker-bcg-zigracker.aspx

I suggest contacting some gunsmiths and asking for dimensions to compare with your slide cut. If you don’t have a way to measure the existing cut then it will severely limit your options.

Ok yeah I like it.  I’ll do some measurements tomorrow.  Thanks for the reply.  

I would just get an other shooter connection racker and blend the end to match that radius the best you can. 
you’ll have to drill and tap it. Maybe put two small set screws in this time. 
I wouldn’t cut the slide anymore. The dovetail looks close to the back of breach face to run a dovetail all the way through to the other side. 
it’s not ideal but you could make it work.

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter