Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Square Body" Middy First Build

Cam73

1 hour ago, jbauman915 said:

I talked to him a couple weeks ago.  Still getting up and running in TX.   He's got a while yet until he's pumping them out.  

Sadly I just wrapped up order with final 3port and only have 2x 2ports left.  Sad panda. 

1 hour ago, donnyglock said:

Yep. He told me hopefully by the end of the year. With that laundry list of things I think we will be lucky to see them by end of next year. Lol. I wish him the best as he’s always been a great guy to work with. 

Bummer! It sucks having to use less favorable parts, but at the same time, good on him for making such an impactful product. His other projects are very impressive too!

As comps go, the writing is on the wall. Can the void left in the market really go untouched? That other one, also currently out of stock, has a big shop behind it…

How would a high performing steel 2 port full profile comp fit into the modern open gun profile? Weight/handling/balance ext. I know I’d have 1 more expensive  carbide end mill in my tool box (Jason too 😂) if steel was the go to material.

Edited by Cam73
Typos

18 hours ago, donnyglock said:

Yep. He told me hopefully by the end of the year. With that laundry list of things I think we will be lucky to see them by end of next year. Lol. I wish him the best as he’s always been a great guy to work with. 

Glad I was able to have one in my build. Talk about good (bad?) timing. Hope he'll be up and running soon.

I talked Don into building one of my 9mm middy's with a 3 port BE comp. Could not be happier!

I have another one sitting here with a bunch of other parts waiting to go to Don.

I can tell you not all comps are created equal. I tried another popular 2 port and man it was not even close to the BE comp.

20210324_153035 (Copy).jpg

11 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

I talked Don into building one of my 9mm middy's with a 3 port BE comp. Could not be happier!

I have another one sitting here with a bunch of other parts waiting to go to Don.

I can tell you not all comps are created equal. I tried another popular 2 port and man it was not even close to the BE comp.

20210324_153035 (Copy).jpg

Looks awesome, I like the stepped swoop cut and dimples. I'm thinking about dimples or diamond serrations on my next build. It's gonna be a lot of cranking.    

14 hours ago, Cam73 said:

Looks awesome, I like the stepped swoop cut and dimples. I'm thinking about dimples or diamond serrations on my next build. It's gonna be a lot of cranking.    

Yep....the small details make the difference.

• 6 months later...

Update-

Put an FTP Alpha 3 on the gun a few months back and ran another 200 rounds through it. All was good, so I decided to shoot open for the first time yesterday.

I'm happy to report the gun ran well with no malfunctions after the buzzer, but should note:

I stepped into the box on the first stage and said "I hope this thing runs," tossed in a full big stick, racked the slide and the first round jammed low on the feed ramp 🤣🤣 Pulled one round out of the mag and didn't have any problems the rest of the match. Feed lip dimensions were checked and mags were left loaded for a few days when new. Gonna double check everything and try to replicate the problem, but it's possible I rode the slide forward too.

There is a bunch more clean-up to do and then it will eventually go to H&M for black nitride.

SQ6.thumb.jpg.720dc010419d08aefaace47c5e0df581.jpg

I don't have any pointers to give you but Big Kudos to you. Cam 73, that is really awesome build. Congrats ! It is a pleasure to hear stories from folks like you building their own race guns.   BTW, I had a pleasure talking to Jason from Defions Arms and He is really a Stand up guy and takes time to explain how his guns works and etc. 

On 5/7/2023 at 4:07 PM, clw42 said:

The only other issue I can see is that the slide racker, and mag release are on the wrong side.  🤣

Suit yourself!! 🤣

21 hours ago, turbocomp38s said:

I don't have any pointers to give you but Big Kudos to you. Cam 73, that is really awesome build. Congrats ! It is a pleasure to hear stories from folks like you building their own race guns.   BTW, I had a pleasure talking to Jason from Defions Arms and He is really a Stand up guy and takes time to explain how his guns works and etc. 

Thanks! It’s been a goal since getting into USPSA a few years ago to shoot something I built. I certainly appreciate everyone that helped and answered questions. 

On 5/10/2023 at 5:51 PM, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

So with the binary comps having the bore on a 1deg did you still have to cut your slide with a 1deg also or did you cut the slide square ?

Slide cut square.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:58 PM, jbauman915 said:

Definitely came out nice dude. 

Thanks man. Trying to remember what you said... "every missed opportunity to shoot open is a disservice to oneself" or something like that. 🤣

23 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Inspired me to build one. 
let’s hope it turns out as nice. 
and more important it works 😬

Nice! There are lots of good resources out there. That said, nothing will replace the hours spent trying to diagnose and fix a problem you never knew existed!! My experience is limited to a few builds, but I am happy to try and help if you have questions.