Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production or Limited for new competitors

JPatters

On 10/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, motosapiens said:

i would get a dot, load your mags all the way up, and shoot CO. In my observation, the people who do that improve more quickly than the ones who try to learn the sport with iron sights.

most places nobody shoots production anymore.

I concur.  Get a dot on the slide, some mag extensions and shoot CO

On 10/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, JPatters said:

I have a P320 M18 with a Sig Red dot on it. I shoot that very accurately when I have all the time in the world. I tried a match with it ( first USPSA match) and I was so slow because I couldn’t find the dot and was fishing for it. So I thought try iron sight with a bigger heavier gun might help. 

You need to fix your draw and presentation from the ready so that the dot is in front of your eyes no matter what you do.

You need to put in the work at home in dry fire, then check that work with live fire practice.

There's only one way forward.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:24 PM, JPatters said:

Appreciate all the feedback. I did enjoy the first match I did but I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I wasn’t the slowest. I finished 24/28. I got the magwell off the gun so I have some options. 

Step 1: learn to shoot.  I mean really learn to shoot.  The great majority of people who own handguns simply do not know how to shoot, at least at a level that we would consider basic competency.  Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth.

Step 2: learn to move.  By that I mean learn to move how we move.  ETA: I'll include learning how to plan a stage efficiently here too.

Step 3: combine shooting and moving.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

the low hanging fruit to moving up is better planning and then good deep visualization of your plans.

get to the matches at least an hour early and walk though each stage. plenty of shooters will be there doing the same.  study what they are doing and ask a few questions. thank them.   don't get too fancy yet. keep it simple. once you have a rough simple plan in mind walk through the stage and commit the plan to memory. 3-4 walkthoughs per stage usually does it.

face up-range, close your eyes and shoot the stage in your mind with as much detail as you can. If clear and smooth in your mind move to the next stage. if not get a few more walkthoughs.

when you "make ready" close your eyes again, and see your plan.
clear your mind. nod your head.
when the beep goes off just go through the plan in your head.
dont think, just shoot.

imo - A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want is fine as your learn the game.

Edited by scroadkill