Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production or Limited for new competitors

JPatters

I am just starting in USPSA. I have a P320 Xfive Legion that is approved for production if I remove the magwell. Trying to decide if I should compete in Production class or do Limited as it allows a fill magazine. Any thoughts on that?  I am not good at all and trying to get better. Right now my main problem is speed. Thank you. 

You will hear from many that you should be in Production to be "competitive" due your pistol being scored as 9mm minor - in Limited it is somewhat penalized. But just starting out it really doesn't matter if you are "competitive" or not..... have fun.

I'd suggest shooting Limited (even as minor) because you can just get used to shooting, moving, your stage plans will be much easier, and you can just have fun.

After you get the hang of things decide if A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want is where you want to stay, or give Production (or Carry Optics) a shot. 

Whatever you do just show up and get started.... the first few times scores will not matter, just pay attention and be a sponge. And be safe. Oh, and don't forget to have fun.

Every time someone writes Limited "Minor" without the quotation marks it transcribes (A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want”) in its place once you submit the reply.

Because some feel shooting Limited "Minor" is stupid.

Edited by Boomstick303

I have a P320 M18 with a Sig Red dot on it. I shoot that very accurately when I have all the time in the world. I tried a match with it ( first USPSA match) and I was so slow because I couldn’t find the dot and was fishing for it. So I thought try iron sight with a bigger heavier gun might help. 

2-4 weeks of solid, daily dryfire and you will find that dot much more easily. Your index (having the sights come right to your eyeline) will get better and better. Any of the divisions are fun, but Production (as is) has sadly moved ever toward extinction. CO is really a good time. You'll get past that fishing for the dot quickly if you do a lottle work. 

Shoot lim minor for a while. Learn the game, learn how to be safe, and dont impede yourself with the low magazine capacity of prod. You'll have a much better time at matches starting out if you dont have to worry too much about reloads and extra pouches/ mags. Look at what others are shooting, ask questions about other people's gear, and eventually you'll choose a division that best suits you, then buy that gear. You may decide neither limited or prod are right for you and switch to CO or something else- so dont fuss over it too much now. 

1 hour ago, JPatters said:

I have a P320 M18 with a Sig Red dot on it. I shoot that very accurately when I have all the time in the world. I tried a match with it ( first USPSA match) and I was so slow because I couldn’t find the dot and was fishing for it. So I thought try iron sight with a bigger heavier gun might help. 

or you could try practicing. that's how everyone else learns to find the dot. It's how you learn to find iron sights quickly too.

I think either is a good place to start learning.  When I first started shooting USPSA I was advised to shoot Limited, for several reasons.  At the time, Production was all plastic guns, which I don't care for.

Today I don't think it matters unless you try to overthink your stage plan.  If you shoot production, start with 11 in the gun.  Shoot 8, reload, shoot 8, reload shoot 8.  You'll have 2 make up shots each reload without going to slide lock.  Don't try the whacky stage plans some Prod shooters use to use the full mag.

If you shoot Limited, you'll have one reload most of the time.  Try both.  You have nothing to lose.  Personally, I'd put a dot on it and shoot CO, as others have suggested.  Limited stage plan and Open shooting.

As someone who started in iron sights, I wish CO had existed then. I learned alot about shot-calling and grip and trigger press from shooting dots because it's so much more obvious what you're doing wrong. Once learned what information is available from a dot, I found I was seeing alot of that same information with irons. I just never knew it ws there or how to see it. 

Irons (and my natural tendencies) kept me slow for way too long.

23 minutes ago, JPatters said:

Well, I managed to strip the screw on my xfive magwell so until I get that fixed it looks like no production. Can you use a magwell in CO?

No. D7 22.3 of the rule book.

I would suggest you focus on getting into the game as inexpensively as you can.  It won'y take you too long to decide a few things after participating, including if you even enjoy shooting in competition.  Observe, ask questions, conserve your money for ammo or components to reload, and/or good quality training.  If you decide it is a game you want to be a part of, proceed diligently.

This approach will likely save to you tons of money that you might spend on pistol platforms you don't like, optics you don't care for, holsters that end up in a cardboard box, etc.  And each step of the way will add to your knowledge base and understanding of the sport so you are more adequately prepared to achieve your best bang for the buck.

Or, if you are independently wealthy . . . . . . buy two of everything you see that looks cool and give it all a try.

But most importantly . . . . .be safe and have fun!  Welcome to the sport!

Again, shoot whatever division you have the equipment for NOW , get started. Doesn’t really matter which division is easier or has the most people.

having to get out and buy more stuff, an optic, more mags, etc are just slowing down getting started. Once you have a few matches under your belt you’ll know what you want to do next, and see what’s being used.

6 minutes ago, JPatters said:

Appreciate all the feedback. I did enjoy the first match I did but I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I wasn’t the slowest. I finished 24/28. I got the magwell off the gun so I have some options. 

Only one way to go from there

New USPSA shooters will often add a lot of time to their stages because they are not sure what target is next, often forgetting targets. They aren't confident with a stage plan, stopping to figute out what's  next and usually do all standing reloads. But that's normal when you first start.

When you get past that point you will reduce your stage times and can work on everything else it takes to improve your performance.