Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For your information

Johnny_Chimpo

I used to want one of those tungsten grip sig 320s, but after being at several matches they seem to be the least reliable guns that I see. The last major I worked sig 320s failed at a higher rate than open guns on my stage.

The added bonuses of not getting shot if I happen to drop my gun or if it goes in the holster minutely incorrectly seem to reinforce the decision of not getting one. I believe I'll stick with some other crapper plastic fantastic, or go with a dasa gun if I'm ever looking for a new carryops blaster, or carry gun. The da/sa won't be a sig either, but that's for completely different reasons LOL

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RJH said:

The added bonuses of not getting shot if I happen to drop my gun or if it goes in the holster minutely incorrectly seem to reinforce the decision of not getting one.

A DASA gun that was not a Sig was dropped and killed an RO in a USPSA match back east.  I cannot say for certain but I am fairly certain a P320 has not killed anyone in USPSA.  

I still do not understand your comment on so many of them malfunctioning in the manner as you describe.  I am not saying it did not happen, that just that has not been my experience, or observations.  A good portion of guns in CO in our area are various P320s and they never malfunction.  Now a few have blown up due to the unsupported barrel, but thats another story.

I am not advocating for anyone to buy anything.  To each their own.  I keep trying to move away from the 320, but mine just run.  Every malfunction was due to ammo and not the gun.  I recently purchased a CZ Shadow 2 to test over the off season and thought it would be the cats meow over the P320 platform.  In early testing it has not been the case.  Over the next couple of months I will run 3 different guns, land on one, sell the other two to buy a back up for next season in CO.  The leader in the club house is the P320 AXG Pro.  

7 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

A DASA gun that was not a Sig was dropped and killed an RO in a USPSA match back east.  I cannot say for certain but I am fairly certain a P320 has not killed anyone in USPSA.  

I still do not understand your comment on so many of them malfunctioning in the manner as you describe.  I am not saying it did not happen, that just that has not been my experience, or observations.  A good portion of guns in CO in our area are various P320s and they never malfunction.  Now a few have blown up due to the unsupported barrel, but thats another story.

I am not advocating for anyone to buy anything.  To each their own.  I keep trying to move away from the 320, but mine just run.  Every malfunction was due to ammo and not the gun.  I recently purchased a CZ Shadow 2 to test over the off season and thought it would be the cats meow over the P320 platform.  In early testing it has not been the case.  Over the next couple of months I will run 3 different guns, land on one, sell the other two to buy a back up for next season in CO.  The leader in the club house is the P320 AXG Pro.  

I reckon that da/sa gun that was dropped and shot somebody had been modified, not a stock gun like the 320s that seem to randomly go off 

As far as  them running, I'm just reporting what I've seen. Like I said I was really interested in one early on. Then two of the first ones I saw at a match had light primer strikes with factory ammo and they were bone stock guns l, this was on the same day. The last major I worked, which has been a year or so back, I decided to pay attention to guns that didn't make it through my stage. Sig 320s led that list by a long shot. Of course I don't know what ammo or modifications were made to the guns as people tended to rack the slides etc. and get back to shooting.

I was at a match the other day and a friend of mine had bought a sig 320 and I asked if he had had any issues with it, because I noticed they had more stoppages than other guns in my experience. He said his had ran fine and it did the rest of the day. However, there was one other guy at the same  match shooting a sig 320 and it locked up bad enough that he zerod a stage. I know a bunch of them work, I just seen a higher failure rate out of them than other production type guns. 

Like I say, just what I have seen. I don't care what anybody else shoots, long as it's safe. All I know is that I went from wanting one to wouldn't have one. 

And let's not even get into that ungodly high bore axis 🤣🤣

20 hours ago, RJH said:

I reckon that da/sa gun that was dropped and shot somebody had been modified, not a stock gun like the 320s that seem to randomly go off 

As far as  them running, I'm just reporting what I've seen. Like I said I was really interested in one early on. Then two of the first ones I saw at a match had light primer strikes with factory ammo and they were bone stock guns l, this was on the same day. The last major I worked, which has been a year or so back, I decided to pay attention to guns that didn't make it through my stage. Sig 320s led that list by a long shot. Of course I don't know what ammo or modifications were made to the guns as people tended to rack the slides etc. and get back to shooting.

I was at a match the other day and a friend of mine had bought a sig 320 and I asked if he had had any issues with it, because I noticed they had more stoppages than other guns in my experience. He said his had ran fine and it did the rest of the day. However, there was one other guy at the same  match shooting a sig 320 and it locked up bad enough that he zerod a stage. I know a bunch of them work, I just seen a higher failure rate out of them than other production type guns. 

Like I say, just what I have seen. I don't care what anybody else shoots, long as it's safe. All I know is that I went from wanting one to wouldn't have one. 

And let's not even get into that ungodly high bore axis 🤣🤣

And there is the bore axis comment...

Better ditch the 1911/2011 platform!

Edited by mrvip27

2 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

And there is the bore axis comment...

Better ditch the 1911/2011 platform!

I'm not so sure the bore axis isn't higher on a sig 320, check out handgun hero and overlay them if you don't believe me LOL . And a sig 320 is generally made of lightweight plastic, not steel. And for 30 years all I heard was Glocks for the best cuz of low boraxis blah blah blah and everybody bought right in, but now everybody loves the highest bore axis gun there is. It just don't make much sense, but whatever

37 minutes ago, RJH said:

It just don't make much sense, but whatever

I took it as a tongue in check remark.  I imagine it makes a difference for people that cannot grip pistol correct.  I could never get over the grip angle of the Glock.  I have tried to stick to more of a 1911 grip angle for most of my pistols so my index is moderately good moving platform to platform.  

I think the bore axis commentary is much like the difference between 124 gr and 147 gr.  Are you really noticing the difference on the clock?

5 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I took it as a tongue in check remark.  I imagine it makes a difference for people that cannot grip pistol correct.  I could never get over the grip angle of the Glock.  I have tried to stick to more of a 1911 grip angle for most of my pistols so my index is moderately good moving platform to platform.  

I think the bore axis commentary is much like the difference between 124 gr and 147 gr.  Are you really noticing the difference on the clock?

Probably not but I had to listen to it for 30 years lol 

And I'm beginning to think sig fan boys are worse than Glock fanboys. I mean, sig fan boys are the ones who gave us "there's no way that sig 320 is going off if you drop it, it passed the army's drop test" 🤣🤣

On 10/23/2022 at 4:09 AM, RJH said:

Probably not but I had to listen to it for 30 years lol 

And I'm beginning to think sig fan boys are worse than Glock fanboys. I mean, sig fan boys are the ones who gave us "there's no way that sig 320 is going off if you drop it, it passed the army's drop test" 🤣🤣

Memes, 🤖, and Gun: DROP THE  GUN!  ITS A SIG!  OK, PUT IT  DOWN SLOWLY Fuckery payattentionamerica

On 10/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Bruce Gray

This guy says "SIG said it was a defective firing pin return spring." The P320 has a striker reset spring, which is irrelevant to his claimed scenario. I call b.s.

My striker reset spring is broken all the time. (the tiny small one in the striker) I´m pretty sure that happens to all p320´s pretty often.

Mine doesn´t fire by itself.  

10 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

I just did this test with my p320 w/ grayguns trigger kit and it failed. Wow. 

IMO, Edmond is one of those "hidden gems" that understands how the P320's FCU works; and more importantly, he does an excellent job in presenting the information in his videos in a way that's very easy to understand!

BTW:  what was causing your failure with the GG kit?

🤔

2 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

My striker reset spring is broken all the time. (the tiny small one in the striker) I´m pretty sure that happens to all p320´s pretty often.

then something is probably wrong with it😀

4 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

IMO, Your striker reset spring SHOULD NOT be broken all the time!  Something definitely wrong!

🤔

15 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

I just did this test with my p320 w/ grayguns trigger kit and it failed. Wow. 

So it is failing with the GG trigger? Or did you swap out the trigger for one where there is a pre-travel screw?

If it is truly failing with a GG trigger then something is wrong.

9 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

IMO, Edmond is one of those "hidden gems" that understands how the P320's FCU works; and more importantly, he does an excellent job in presenting the information in his videos in a way that's very easy to understand!

BTW:  what was causing your failure with the GG kit?

🤔

Edit to clarify:Doing the test in the video after pulling the trigger the striker drops and is past the second ledge of the sear. But when I push in on the striker assembly there is no click and the trigger is just mush. Also if I take out the barrel the firing pin protruded through the breechface like in the last test in the video.  

8 hours ago, echotango said:

4 GG kits with Keres/AC triggers.  None of them failed.  Something is wrong. 

4 hours ago, ddc said:

So it is failing with the GG trigger? Or did you swap out the trigger for one where there is a pre-travel screw?

If it is truly failing with a GG trigger then something is wrong.

Originally I did it with GG kit with armory craft trigger and it failed. So I tried again with the GG trigger and kit and it still failed. 

Not sure what else to try? 

Edited by fireman1776

1 hour ago, fireman1776 said:

Edit to clarify:Doing the test in the video after pulling the trigger the striker drops and is past the second ledge of the sear. But when I push in on the striker assembly there is no click and the trigger is just mush. Also if I take out the barrel the firing pin protruded through the breechface like in the last test in the video.  

Originally I did it with GG kit with armory craft trigger and it failed. So I tried again with the GG trigger and kit and it still failed. 

Not sure what else to try? 

First I would try removing the striker assembly and give ALL the springs a thorough look see for fit/function.  If that is all good, I'd then, if you haven't already, put the pistol back to factory condition with all stock parts back in the FCU.  Of course checking all the aftermarket parts for function as you removed them............

Looking forward to hear your results!

👍 

The striker reset spring gets crushed from dry firing the gun. The striker is meant to stop once it hits a primer. With an empty chamber, it over compresses the spring and crushes it fairly quickly.

A dead give away is if you see the striker poking out of the hole in the slide. I guess it could possibly ignite a round, when releasing the slide from slide lock. I don’t think it makes any difference in function. I gave up replacing the spring years ago. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

The striker reset spring gets crushed from dry firing the gun. The striker is meant to stop once it hits a primer. With an empty chamber, it over compresses the spring and crushes it fairly quickly.

A dead give away is if you see the striker poking out of the hole in the slide. I guess it could possibly ignite a round, when releasing the slide from slide lock. I don’t think it makes any difference in function. I gave up replacing the spring years ago. 

Found this video 

I just checked my pistol and the striker does stay protruded. I have dry fire this gun a lot. So maybe this is why the striker is sticking out in the other test. 

I’ll have to order a new spring and see if that fixes it. Gun functions fine tho with live ammo. 

7 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

Found this video 

I just checked my pistol and the striker does stay protruded. I have dry fire this gun a lot. So maybe this is why the striker is sticking out in the other test. 

I’ll have to order a new spring and see if that fixes it. Gun functions fine tho with live ammo. 

Excellent video!  ;)

And if you go to 3:25, there's a quick and easy test to see if your striker reset spring is compromised.

👍

10 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

Found this video 

Sig stopped selling individual striker parts last year. They now only sell the complete assembly.  Sometimes you can get the parts through other retailers, but it’s less common now.  This is the main reason I stopped caring about it. 

@fireman1776

"IF" your needing striker reset springs, SigSauerParts.com has them in stock.  I have purchased a lot of spare parts from them; and always receive genuine factory parts when ordered.  And their service and shipping is excellent!

https://www.sigsauerparts.com/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-p320-striker-reset-spring-180

https://www.sigsauerparts.com/parts-accessories-p320-small-parts-slide-parts-striker-assembly

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 10/27/2022 at 10:03 PM, HOGRIDER said:

@fireman1776

"IF" your needing striker reset springs, SigSauerParts.com has them in stock.  I have purchased a lot of spare parts from them; and always receive genuine factory parts when ordered.  And their service and shipping is excellent!

https://www.sigsauerparts.com/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-p320-striker-reset-spring-180

https://www.sigsauerparts.com/parts-accessories-p320-small-parts-slide-parts-striker-assembly

👍

Thank you. I was having trouble finding any in stock on a google search. 

I looked through my parts drawer and found one I had apparently purchased awhile back! 

This spring was definitely the culprit. It was completely mangled. 

new on left, old on right. Now that I replaced it, it passes the test. 

The spring is tiny. I’m not really sure what the life of one is but it can’t be very high. There is no compression left in mine at all. It’s a mangled mess. 

A95B6B1A-8316-422D-88C4-43A0DB09A8AE.jpeg