Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig x5 Legion grip module split!

Wrathen

a few of my friends run Sig x5 Legions or the Max version. I was wanting to give Sig a try as I haven't ever owned one. So picked one of from a LGS and then proceeded to run 150 rounds of my normal 147gr competition minor power factor rounds through it. When I got home I went to clean it and mount a Romeo1Pro on it and saw this nice nice crack in the grip module. So I ended up calling Sig customer service and they are going to be sending me a new module and want this one back as the guy I spoke with and his supervisor nether had seen this happen before. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9d270c442c9bcf9a64b8f9634f2dd9cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e84254475524ae7ebb516a35f4ebddec.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wrathen said:

a few of my friends run Sig x5 Legions or the Max version. I was wanting to give Sig a try as I haven't ever owned one. So picked one of from a LGS and then proceeded to run 150 rounds of my normal 147gr competition minor power factor rounds through it. When I got home I went to clean it and mount a Romeo1Pro on it and saw this nice nice crack in the grip module. So I ended up calling Sig customer service and they are going to be sending me a new module and want this one back as the guy I spoke with and his supervisor nether had seen this happen before. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9d270c442c9bcf9a64b8f9634f2dd9cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e84254475524ae7ebb516a35f4ebddec.jpeg

I have never seen that before either. I was thinking it may have been dropped at some point, but I don’t see any other marks on the frame that would indicate it being dropped. Glad SIG is making it right. 

38 minutes ago, RJH said:

Is that round dot below the crack from something being overtightened?

71q5OUF.jpg

It is molded into the grip module, it resembles a clock with the arrow pointing at the 11 and a 2 and 1 on either side of the arrow. I have no clue what it’s supposed to mean.

22 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

71q5OUF.jpg

It is molded into the grip module, it resembles a clock with the arrow pointing at the 11 and a 2 and 1 on either side of the arrow. I have no clue what it’s supposed to mean.

it’s a date stamp of when it was produced. So it was molded on the 11th month of 2021

51 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

I have never seen that before either. I was thinking it may have been dropped at some point, but I don’t see any other marks on the frame that would indicate it being dropped. Glad SIG is making it right. 

71q5OUF.jpg

I meant the dot on the side just over the pic rail, you see it in the other picture. It's a round indention. It could be molded in but it almost looks like something might have got pressed into it as well

32 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

it’s a date stamp of when it was produced. So it was molded on the 11th month of 2021

Oh, well you learn something new everyday!

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

I meant the dot on the side just over the pic rail, you see it in the other picture. It's a round indention. It could be molded in but it almost looks like something might have got pressed into it as well

Ah, I see. Looking at mine again, mine has a similar mark. Assuming that's a casting sprue or something similar. 

1 hour ago, bulldog009 said:

From the guys I spoke with on the phone they thing it might have been a casting issue when it was made. I couldn't find any indicators of it being dropped. 

I’ve only seen something similar to this once, and no where near as bad. It was cracked on the bottom side of the frame inside the trigger guard. But that was after 6,000 rounds if I remember correctly. Sig also replaced his without hesitation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 4:03 AM, RangerTrace said:

I wonder if this could be from tightening a light too tight.......

This was a brand new gun I bought at a gunshop and then took and shot. No light was ever installed.