Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failed post for RMR

MJ13

Has anyone had issues with a failed post for the RMR.  It’s my son’s gun.  The slide is a very nice ZEV on a Glock 34.  I took it to a couple of gun shops here in AZ but no luck so far.

I’m new to glock but I would like to get it repaired.  I am thinking I may have to replace the slide.

C5EB14F1-B774-41A8-94BA-EFA0BB4134B7.jpeg

ZEV said they no longer make that slide and sent me a set of 5/16 screws.  I don’t think I would trust it on just the two threads that are left on the post.

I’ll keep looking for a smith in Phoenix that can drill and tap the old slide.  

1 hour ago, MJ13 said:

Thanks guys.   I ordered a new slide.  Now just need to learn the complete disassembly for Glocks.  Spent 30+ years shooting 1911 and then to 2011.

That should take you about 20 minutes via YouTube. 😀

Id use an extractor, so as not to mess up the threads in the slide.. Really this looks like a 2 minute job.  An extractor is like a tapered screw but reverse threaded. You put the slide in a vice, use a tap wrench and right size extractor,  I would soak it in acetone (steel your wife's nail polish remover) That wil disolve any acrylic like bonding agents... Then get it hot with a small electronic soldering iron,, to disolve any loctight agents that might be in there,, then unscrew it out. 
If it wont budge with the extractors you can drill it out with left hand drill bits,, just go slow and use progressively larger bits. Idea is to get the stud foil thin without screwing up the slide threads..  Next part would be finding the right size stud.. I imagine the original maker might have some and send you a couple..
I mean whats worse that can happen ? You are already plannign on a new slide.

Id think you could get it out without messing up the existing threads

Google Helicoil...  they come pretty small. But you shouldnt need one, between the extractor and left handed bit

Edited by Joe4d