Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WML?

konkapot

1 hour ago, konkapot said:

I've honestly checked the rulebook but cannot find it. The one "thought" I had was that it might not fit the box, but was looking for a rule

It's not really spelled out. It says something like "must be suitable for carry" where the old rules said something like "must be hand held". I look it up

1 hour ago, konkapot said:

I've honestly checked the rulebook but cannot find it. The one "thought" I had was that it might not fit the box, but was looking for a rule

Look at 3.10.1.3 Dropping a flashlight does not incur a penalty...This rule does not exempt dropped firearms.

Why would that bit at the end exist if we couldn't have a light on the firearm?

8.9.4.1 May not be attached to the shooters head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.

Doesn't say may not be attached to firearm

8.9.4.2 Suitable for EDC minimum lumens of 60. 

A WML fits all of these rules. So while it's not specifically saying you can use a WML I think they're trying to imply that you can. 

23 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Look at 3.10.1.3 Dropping a flashlight does not incur a penalty...This rule does not exempt dropped firearms.

Why would that bit at the end exist if we couldn't have a light on the firearm?

8.9.4.1 May not be attached to the shooters head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.

Doesn't say may not be attached to firearm

8.9.4.2 Suitable for EDC minimum lumens of 60. 

A WML fits all of these rules. So while it's not specifically saying you can use a WML I think they're trying to imply that you can. 

That seems to be how it is being interpreted.

I guess it would have been too easy for them to just say "WML are legal" or words to that effect.

They seem to insist on doing things the hard way.

2017 Rules

8.8.4 Flashlights
Only hand held lights may be used in IDPA competition. For Physically Disabled shooters, refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.

Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.
Rings or straps that go around any part of the shooter’s body (finger, palm, wrist, etc.) are not allowed. Lanyards may be present, but may not be used.

Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.10.

2022 Rules

8.9.4  Flashlights

8.9.4.1  Flashlights may be used in IDPA competition. Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion, prior to the start signal. The only exception to this is of the flashlight is provided for the stage.

8.9.4.2  The flashlight must be suitable for EDC or tactical duty use with appropriate illumination of minimum 60 lumens.

8.9.4.3  Physically Disabled shooters please refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.

2022 Rulebook Update Deck - Slide 24

image.thumb.png.0d380720a70bbc74b087aa8ee13528c8.png

2 hours ago, iboomer said:

2017 Rules

8.8.4 Flashlights
Only hand held lights may be used in IDPA competition. For Physically Disabled shooters, refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.

Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.
Rings or straps that go around any part of the shooter’s body (finger, palm, wrist, etc.) are not allowed. Lanyards may be present, but may not be used.

Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.10.

2022 Rules

8.9.4  Flashlights

8.9.4.1  Flashlights may be used in IDPA competition. Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion, prior to the start signal. The only exception to this is of the flashlight is provided for the stage.

8.9.4.2  The flashlight must be suitable for EDC or tactical duty use with appropriate illumination of minimum 60 lumens.

8.9.4.3  Physically Disabled shooters please refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.

2022 Rulebook Update Deck - Slide 24

image.thumb.png.0d380720a70bbc74b087aa8ee13528c8.png

LOL can IDPA be more incompetent at writing rulebooks?