Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Understanding movement and how to diagnose what’s fast while doing this dry?

Twilk73

Any good videos with movement tips? I don’t mean hard entry or exits. I mean like how to move quickly, when to slow down, when to present the gun so you can be ready to shoot. I realize the target and how challenging it is dictates some of this. What I don’t understand is how to efficiently slow down and carry the gun between targets. I feel like sometimes moving with both hands on the gun is better and sometimes moving with one hand on the gun is better. But how do we determine when to use either of these methods. When do we side step instead of run? These sort of movement strategies are what I’m looking for tips on. 

Any advice? Thanks as usual. 

What you want is entry and exits. When you're not doing that you should be running as fast as you can. Video yourself, when you watch it ask yourself if you're really running as fast as you can.

Entry's will be working on when to slow down and when to have the gun up like you mentioned. 

I'd probably start with working the skill and not worry about the time. In your videos do you stand up in position? Lots of people do. If so work on staying low, focus your attention on that one thing. Watch video of yourself to confirm what you're doing is what you think you're doing. Then look at gun up. Work on short movements never bringing the gun down, then work on movements where you bring the gun down and keep both hands on it. Then one hand on it. Get a handle on using those techniques. Then you can use live fire or at least par times to figure out what is faster and when. 

Are you slowing down soon enough? When you get into position are you off balance? Falling over? Do you over run positions? If so you're probably not slowing  down soon enough.

Is the gun up before you can see the target? That's a start. But, are you aiming through the wall at the target you can't see and breaking the shot as soon as you see the A? 

Once you've tested all the things, you can go to a match see a stage and know from past experience which technique you want to use then visualize doing that so you can execute. 

There’s great advice in the above post. Thank you. The part about being off balance or over shooting your stopping point, very clarifying. I’ll look for these cues and I so plan on getting a camera setup for self diagnosis. As it  is I’m doing what I feel like is a good job of diagnosing my mistakes currently but you don’t know what you don’t know. 

The competition bug hit me hard and now all I want to do is win my local match. Im really hoping my local match has at least a few good shooters because I don’t want to go to a National match next year only to get slapped around like I haven’t been dry firing 3-4 days a week. 

9 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

There’s great advice in the above post. Thank you. The part about being off balance or over shooting your stopping point, very clarifying. I’ll look for these cues and I so plan on getting a camera setup for self diagnosis. As it  is I’m doing what I feel like is a good job of diagnosing my mistakes currently but you don’t know what you don’t know. 

The competition bug hit me hard and now all I want to do is win my local match. Im really hoping my local match has at least a few good shooters because I don’t want to go to a National match next year only to get slapped around like I haven’t been dry firing 3-4 days a week. 

Are you shooting CO? What part of the country are you in? It's hard to imagine being in a area where there isn't at least some heat in CO. 

13 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Are you shooting CO? What part of the country are you in? It's hard to imagine being in a area where there isn't at least some heat in CO. 

East coast PA, there are some (M) class shooter that all run in the top 10. I placed 7th out of 50 shooters last match. It was my 4th match ever. Every match I’ve improved. I just started so I  have lots of motivation. 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:47 PM, Twilk73 said:

East coast PA, there are some (M) class shooter that all run in the top 10. I placed 7th out of 50 shooters last match. It was my 4th match ever. Every match I’ve improved. I just started so I  have lots of motivation. 

You should be able to find matches with Hemple, Cao, Emrich They're solid and will give you a good idea where you're at. 

Nobody good up there 😛 

Where are you shooting? Just about every club match in the eastern part of the state has some heat. 

Edited by Nathanb

On 10/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, Racinready300ex said:

You should be able to find matches with Hemple, Cao, Emrich They're solid and will give you a good idea where you're at. 

Shot with Hemple this weekend and he dominated. Definitely another level from what I’ve been shooting with in IDPA. 

7 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Shot with Hemple this weekend and he dominated. Definitely another level from what I’ve been shooting with in IDPA. 

Yeah, if you're coming from IDPA it can be a bit of a eye opener as to how much faster paced the game is and the level of the shooters. 

8 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Yeah he’s a monster. Probably one of the best in the north east 

11 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Yeah, if you're coming from IDPA it can be a bit of a eye opener as to how much faster paced the game is and the level of the shooters. 

It is an eye opener. Sadly I actually like IDPA more though. But I like the pace of USPSA and all the movement. No big deal I’ll shoot both if I feel like it. 

12 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

It is an eye opener. Sadly I actually like IDPA more though. But I like the pace of USPSA and all the movement. No big deal I’ll shoot both if I feel like it. 

If you started in IDPA it's not surprising you'd like it more. I started there too and still shoot it today. They both have positives and negatives to me. I think if IDPA went back to 1/2 second scoring it would be a lot better. Full second makes it a little slow. I like that my carry gear is more competitive in IDPA, I just wish they'd really allow AIWB instead of just saying it's allowed in the rules and no clubs actually allowing it. lol

Are you shooting Liberty match this weekend?

23 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I just wish they'd really allow AIWB instead of just saying it's allowed in the rules and no clubs actually allowing it.

None of the IDPA clubs near me have an issue with AIWB.  I get your point but you can make a better one if you are more clear.

Someone who doesn't know any better will think AIWB is never allowed.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

47 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

None of the IDPA clubs near me have an issue with AIWB.  I get your point but you can make a better one if you are more clear.

Someone who doesn't know any better will think AIWB is never allowed.

It is a bit of a exaggeration to say no clubs sure. In this area there is one club I've found which is essentially no clubs it's about 2 hours away. Every major match on PS that's within about 8 hours drive from here will not allow them. Maybe it's a east coast thing. 

If someone shows up to a match thinking it's allowed they may vary well be wrong. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

20 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

It is a bit of a exaggeration to say no clubs sure. In this area there is one club I've found which is essentially no clubs it's about 2 hours away. Every major match on PS that's within about 8 hours drive from here will not allow them. Maybe it's a east coast thing. 

If someone shows up to a match thinking it's allowed they may vary well be wrong. 

It's for sure one of the most stupid things I have seen IDPA ever do, and that's saying something.

12 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

It's for sure one of the most stupid things I have seen IDPA ever do, and that's saying something.

I think what bugs me is I know it's the MD's but they'll say it's the range. I know it's the MD because if I go to the same range for a upas match I can do what I want lol. 

On 10/20/2022 at 8:55 AM, Racinready300ex said:

If you started in IDPA it's not surprising you'd like it more. I started there too and still shoot it today. They both have positives and negatives to me. I think if IDPA went back to 1/2 second scoring it would be a lot better. Full second makes it a little slow. I like that my carry gear is more competitive in IDPA, I just wish they'd really allow AIWB instead of just saying it's allowed in the rules and no clubs actually allowing it. lol

Are you shooting Liberty match this weekend?

No for this year I’m just shooting at Wssa IDPA/USPSA. Starting next year I’ll branch out, I want to shoot some National matches as well next year. I only started shooting matches a few months ago. So I was mostly dry firing, live confirmation and using matches to test my performance and feel out my issue to work on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 6:45 PM, k2pichu said:

@Twilk73 Kita Busse's focus is on movement in the shooting sports. There's some youtube videos on her channel that talk about movement, but her book, "Smart Move" goes into a lot more detail about being efficient with movement.

This was exactly what I wanted, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

my 30 second movement class.

Start moving the instant your last shot at a position leaves the barrel, or sooner (as in you may need to start moving before the shot if you can still make the required shot) 

Move as quickly as you can. (this is the least important part)

Start stopping and setting up for your next shot about 80% of the way to where you are going. (this will feel like your stopping too soon but makes the next part possible)

Fire your first shot at the next location the instant the target is available or as soon thereafter as the sights will allow. (this means gun is up and your starting to aim as you arrive NOT after you get there) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, MikeBurgess said:

my 30 second movement class.

Start moving the instant your last shot at a position leaves the barrel, or sooner (as in you may need to start moving before the shot if you can still make the required shot) 

Move as quickly as you can. (this is the least important part)

Start stopping and setting up for your next shot about 80% of the way to where you are going. (this will feel like your stopping too soon but makes the next part possible)

Fire your first shot at the next location the instant the target is available or as soon thereafter as the sights will allow. (this means gun is up and your starting to aim as you arrive NOT after you get there) 

Honestly this is why I asked the question. I was struggling to figure out if I was slowing down too soon. As in take the shot once you’re at a speed you’re comfortable with and lined up. Or if I should be rushed to the stop point and the aim. The Kita videos are next level though with foot placement and so much more so I’m glad I asked the question.