Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mantis Blackbeard AR trigger resetting system

MJinPA

I’m planning to do some more rifle training over the winter and wondering if anybody has experience with this system? 

If so, has it been reliable? Have you been able to out run the reset? when using their app and targets to track shot placement, is it possible to use multiple targets to measure transitions?

https://mantisx.com/products/blackbeard-the-auto-resetting-trigger-for-ar-15

2 hours ago, MJinPA said:

I’m planning to do some more rifle training over the winter and wondering if anybody has experience with this system? 

If so, has it been reliable? Have you been able to out run the reset? when using their app and targets to track shot placement, is it possible to use multiple targets to measure transitions?

https://mantisx.com/products/blackbeard-the-auto-resetting-trigger-for-ar-15

I have one I modified to fit into my PCC. I think it was a great training aid. I got the one with a red laser which is great for working on close range partials for height over bore. Then when doing simulated distance with smaller targets I just ignored it.

It did start acting up on me early on, and I emailed them and they told me how to apply a little grease to the thing that resets the trigger. I was skeptical what would work but it did. They claim 100k cycles on the battery. Assuming that is accurate I put close to 200k cycles on mine last year. I ran it until it wouldn't reset the trigger anymore. Takes a long time to charge. You can out run it a little but that didn't seem like a big deal to me. 

I assume trigger choice could effect results, I use it with a hiperfire pdi. 

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I have one I modified to fit into my PCC. I think it was a great training aid. I got the one with a red laser which is great for working on close range partials for height over bore. Then when doing simulated distance with smaller targets I just ignored it.

It did start acting up on me early on, and I emailed them and they told me how to apply a little grease to the thing that resets the trigger. I was skeptical what would work but it did. They claim 100k cycles on the battery. Assuming that is accurate I put close to 200k cycles on mine last year. I ran it until it wouldn't reset the trigger anymore. Takes a long time to charge. You can out run it a little but that didn't seem like a big deal to me. 

Thanks! Are you using their targets and app to record shot placement? Seems like it be valuable feedback…kinda like how we use live fire to confirm dry fire work. 

7 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Thanks! Are you using their targets and app to record shot placement? Seems like it be valuable feedback…kinda like how we use live fire to confirm dry fire work. 

No, I just try to call my shots and be honest with myself in what I'm seeing. Easier said than done I know. 

I generally dry fire pistols with no laser or trigger reset or anything and it's worked out pretty well. 

On 10/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, Racinready300ex said:

What did you have to change for it to work in a PCC?

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

What did you have to change for it to work in a PCC?

So I picked up a AR lower and put the same trigger, stock, grip etc in it as my PCC. Then I had to file back the front of it until it could go into the upper with out hitting the barrel/ramp. Then I just pop my PCC upper onto that AR lower swap my bolt for the mantis and leave it like that until I'm going to the range again. 

50 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

So I picked up a AR lower and put the same trigger, stock, grip etc in it as my PCC. Then I had to file back the front of it until it could go into the upper with out hitting the barrel/ramp. Then I just pop my PCC upper onto that AR lower swap my bolt for the mantis and leave it like that until I'm going to the range again. 

If you get the chance, could you take a picture of the front of the blackbeard to show what you shaved off? I'm really interested but I hate modifying expensive stuff.