Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 Open - Any reviews?

WYgunner

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a DS9Open & shot it at USPSA Nat’s last weekend. I had 2 malfunctions, both of which were “operator error” & not the gun. 
i shoot for team MPA, so take my review for what it’s worth to you…

it’s the flattest shooting 9major gun I’ve ever shot. I’m using a 10 MOA RTS2 V5 dot. It returns to zero perfectly. 

601C2D4F-DDF1-423F-8F60-B08D36C6C1F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cbritt said:

I have a DS9Open & shot it at USPSA Nat’s last weekend. I had 2 malfunctions, both of which were “operator error” & not the gun. 

it’s the flattest shooting 9major gun I’ve ever shot. I’m using a 10 MOA RTS2 V5 dot. It returns to zero perfectly. 

This is the same gun I shot. I have shot quite a few open gun in my days and I can vouch for Chris and his statement. My experience and his are almost identical. Hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about MPA's DS9 open guns.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, Bravo_Victor said:

I had a chance to chat and shoot one at Nats. They make most of the parts in house including barrel, grips, comp, mounts etc minus safety, springs and all that. 38sc should be coming in spring time. Gun felt very nice in the hands and shot just as good in the practice bay. Tracked well and minimal dot movement using 124gr, 9.8gr AA7 175pf ammo. In the price range of $4500, its going to be a big seller. As far as i know, they dont have any affiliation with CK anymore

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you have any opinions on the different grip textures?  I had a buddy there that tried a few and he mentioned that there were a few different options.

1 minute ago, WYgunner said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you have any opinions on the different grip textures?  I had a buddy there that tried a few and he mentioned that there were a few different options.

They had one that was similar to the PT Evo and Cheely Aggressive Grip. They also had one that was called Golf Ball. It had a similar pattern to an actual Golf Ball but deeper grooves. It wasnt aggressive at all but it wasnt smooth either. Maybe somewhere in between or less. 

On 10/18/2022 at 3:44 PM, Cbritt said:

Thanks Cbritt.  On a slightly unrelated note, is it an optical illusion or is the ejection port covered by the thumb rest?

Edited by WYgunner

On 10/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, Cbritt said:

What ammo load PF etc are you running? Is the secret to flattest gun ever the gun ammo or operator? 

48 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

What ammo load PF etc are you running? Is the secret to flattest gun ever the gun ammo or operator? 

lol. It’s not this “operator” it’s the gun for sure. 
I ran 9.4gr Shooters World Major Pistol under a 125gr (actually weighed 128 at chrono) with Federal SPP magnums. This is a “hot/fast” batch of Major Pistol, another teammate was running 9.8hr to make 173pf. I averaged 1361, 177 PF (would have been right at 172 if the 125 weighed in at 125). 

1 hour ago, Bravo_Victor said:

He is a lefty so it appears so. But it shouldnt interfere with ejecting 

It’s an illusion. When the round is ejecting, the slide is reciprocating further to the rear by a couple inches. No issues with the thumbrest (none that tuning the ejector  and extractor didn’t fix). 

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

I run Black Dot Ammo 9 major  rounds. It's a 124gr JHP and I think 7.0 Autocomp. 

It's both...comp matched to Load and proper grip. 

Edited by waynes_world_45

1 hour ago, T_T said:

Guys, what about the DS9 DL Steel Challenge model, but fit with the DS9 Hybrid slide (slide ride) instead?

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ds9-dl-steel-challenge-pistol/

Thoughts?

That's closer. Most 3 gun open guns you see now-a-days are single comps on a shorter slide with a slide ride. The DS9 DL Steel is still pretty long with its full length slide. I would want something a little shorter. With 3 gun you see more hooded holsters since we run much more with holstered pistols, and a pistol falling out of a holster is an instant match DQ. So its a challenge to run a long open gun with a frame mounted optic that way. My open gun is a P320 with the PMM comp and short slide that makes the whole gun the same length as a full size P320. The Atlas Erebus and Staccato XC are probably the two best examples to look at. 

3 hours ago, T_T said:

Guys, what about the DS9 DL Steel Challenge model, but fit with the DS9 Hybrid slide (slide ride) instead?

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ds9-dl-steel-challenge-pistol/

Thoughts?

An optic ready Commander length slide with a single port comp on a standard frame and aluminum grip just might get the juices flowing. 

I had high hopes but the open gun I checked out at nats was a rattle trap.  Poorly fit with lots of barrel play and visible slide to frame movement.  Trigger felt good but thats too close of a price difference to get me to pass up on other builders.  I hope they get better as they go.

2 hours ago, scooterj said:

An optic ready Commander length slide with a single port comp on a standard frame and aluminum grip just might get the juices flowing. 

Nailed it. This is what I would love to see an option for. The MPA DS9 Hybrid looks like a good base to build that on, with a commander length slide. 

8 hours ago, scooterj said:

That would be *muah* perfect.

7 hours ago, APL-G35 said:

I had high hopes but the open gun I checked out at nats was a rattle trap.  Poorly fit with lots of barrel play and visible slide to frame movement.  Trigger felt good but thats too close of a price difference to get me to pass up on other builders.  I hope they get better as they go.

Really? Why does this always seem to hit and miss? Some people say its tighter and better built than a staccato then you hear this...

8 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

That would be *muah* perfect.

Really? Why does this always seem to hit and miss? Some people say its tighter and better built than a staccato then you hear this...

I didnt notice any significant slop or barrel play myself 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 10/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, CalTeacher said:

Pretty big gap between the comp and slide.

I was just noticing that in the first page pic. Glad you said something before I had to. Not only that but on the second page pic the sponsored shooter the beavertail fit is bad.  Not good fitting work. Not that that kind of fitting makes a difference but it would make me question the time and level of detail that was put into rest of the gun. 

Edited by adrone

49 minutes ago, adrone said:

I was just noticing that in the first page pic. Glad you said something before I had to. Not only that but on the second page pic the sponsored shooter the beavertail fit is bad.  Not good fitting work. Not that that kind of fitting makes a difference but it would make me question the time and level of detail that was put into rest of the gun. 

Definitely not much if any detail in these guns. 

3 hours ago, adrone said:

That kind of fitting absolutely makes a difference.  Imagine buying a BMW M5 with crooked/inconsistent gaps in the body panels.  You’d run away from that car.