Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 Open - Any reviews?

WYgunner

Along with others, I have taken note of the MPA DS9 open model based on the build spec and price.  I did some research on the forum and I saw the thread discussing the hybrid model, but I haven't seen a ton of talk about the open version beyond the subdiscussion taking place in the hybrid thread.  I am familiar with the background of the company, ownership change, etc.  Anyone have any first-hand experience with the latest version of this blaster?  Thanks in advance.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an Open gun fan but have seen a couple of their shooters, including Dave, and they do look nice and at the locals I have been to they run pretty well. 

I don't know a lot of builders but talked to Dave a couple months ago at a match and he is just a great and helpful person. He gave me advice on a Ruger MK II I had problems with and even sought me out later to give me the link to the part he mentioned. I'm not a customer and he went above and beyond to help a fellow shooter. I can only imagine how far he will go for a customer. 

Racegun nationals are soon. I think there will be some people there shooting one.

We shall see how they hold up

@waynes_world_45 can chime in.

Edited by mrvip27

22 hours ago, Dis-1-Shooter said:

I shot a team member's open MPA pistol this past weekend. I only put 10 rounds down range before I knew that I wanted one. The pistol returned to same POA with every shot. It was simply an amazing gun to shoot. Hope this helps.....

IMO that isn't really the gun itself but a combination of the load, gun and your grip. 

Unfortunately family issues forced me to withdraw from Nationals, but I've got 1 local match under my belt with the DS9Open. The gun ran flawlessly. Denny Chapman, the horseback champion and former contestant on Top Shot put some rounds downrange with it after the match so I could watch it recoil. He's not an Open shooter and said the dot tracked with minimum movement and I watched the slide jump just ever so slightly. I'm learning the euro grip so I hunted for the dot on a couple draws but garage dryfire will fix that. I really like the grip texture. The trigger is phenomenal, under 2 pounds (1lb 10oz) and clean and crisp. I'm more than pleased. 

IMG_20221001_163324154_HDR.jpg

13 hours ago, waynes_world_45 said:

Unfortunately family issues forced me to withdraw from Nationals, but I've got 1 local match under my belt with the DS9Open. The gun ran flawlessly. Denny Chapman, the horseback champion and former contestant on Top Shot put some rounds downrange with it after the match so I could watch it recoil. He's not an Open shooter and said the dot tracked with minimum movement and I watched the slide jump just ever so slightly. I'm learning the euro grip so I hunted for the dot on a couple draws but garage dryfire will fix that. I really like the grip texture. The trigger is phenomenal, under 2 pounds (1lb 10oz) and clean and crisp. I'm more than pleased. 

Whats the Euro grip? Asking for a friend.. and by the way I am European and have not heard about that. 😁

22 hours ago, waynes_world_45 said:

Pretty big gap between the comp and slide.

I had a chance to chat and shoot one at Nats. They make most of the parts in house including barrel, grips, comp, mounts etc minus safety, springs and all that. 38sc should be coming in spring time. Gun felt very nice in the hands and shot just as good in the practice bay. Tracked well and minimal dot movement using 124gr, 9.8gr AA7 175pf ammo. In the price range of $4500, its going to be a big seller. As far as i know, they dont have any affiliation with CK anymore

Edited by Bravo_Victor

16 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

I had a chance to chat and shoot one at Nats. They make most of the parts in house including barrel, grips, comp, mounts etc minus safety, springs and all that. 38sc should be coming in spring time. Gun felt very nice in the hands and shot just as good in the practice bay. Tracked well and minimal dot movement using 124gr, 9.8gr AA7 175pf ammo. In the price range of $4500, its going to be a big seller. As far as i know, they dont have any affiliation with CK anymore

Did they pair up with outdoor dynamics for the ammo?