Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady AP LNL Progressive Powder Drop Issue

I’ve had this Hornady AP LNL progressive press for a few months now, and overall I’m happy with it. Back when I was shopping the Dillons were extremely scarce.

I do have an issue making sure the powder volume remains consistent over a series of drops. I’ve tried keeping the knurled knob secured tightly but it seem to slip.

FYI, I’m loading 9mm with 4 grains of Alliant Power Pistol with 147 grain Bayou Bullets.

It seemed much better when I was using CPEPistol or HS6.

Your thoughts appreciated.

George

I haven't used that powder, but I've had good success with many thousands of rounds through a lock n Load.

What kind of differences are you seeing in powder weights?

IMO the tightness of the knob shouldn't be an issue.  As long as the arms are connected you should get full range of motion for the arms.  In fact, if the know is too tight it could make the action slow and get stuck in the drop position.

Do you have the powder baffle inserted in the drop tube?  That definitely helps keep things consistent.

954185285_Screenshotfrom2022-10-0516-36-16.png.3242cf6d565d31565ef5129f96441000.png

Maybe try taking it apart again and giving it a good cleaning and then finish with a dry lube?  Could be some residual cleaning compounds gunking things up.

1 hour ago, walker2713 said:

Okay….thanks….about 5% variation at most….

Will reexamine and see how it goes.

Yes….I’m using the baffle

5% of 4 is 0.2.

Are you seeing a max spread of 0.2 or are you seeing +/- 0.2 on either side of 4.0?

i.e. max spread of 0.2 would be from 3.9 to 4.1.

+/- 0.2 would be from 3.8 to 4.2.

Just curious how bad it is...