Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check the targets, especially the no-shoots before your run

Last shooting position in a stage, there's a metal plate with a no-shoot nearby. Thought I had a good run, until the RO points out a hole on the edge of the no-shoot. I accept it and hit approve. Only later when reviewing a recording did I realise that I only fired one shot at the plate, and that there was no way I could hit both the NS and plate with the same bullet. So it had to have been a hole from a previous run that wasn't patched. As it was on the edge of the target (about 2mm into the scoring border), it may have been missed by the patchers.

So, lesson learnt, quickly inspect the targets during the final walkthrough, especially the no-shoots.

22 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Last shooting position in a stage, there's a metal plate with a no-shoot nearby. Thought I had a good run, until the RO points out a hole on the edge of the no-shoot. I accept it and hit approve. Only later when reviewing a recording did I realise that I only fired one shot at the plate, and that there was no way I could hit both the NS and plate with the same bullet. So it had to have been a hole from a previous run that wasn't patched. As it was on the edge of the target (about 2mm into the scoring border), it may have been missed by the patchers.

So, lesson learnt, quickly inspect the targets during the final walkthrough, especially the no-shoots.

Excellent point!

I had that kind of happen once at an area match. While I was shooting the stage I noticed there was a no shoot that didn't get patched from the shooter before. Of course rule number one is don't stop yourself so I kept shooting. Luckily the no shoot had been shot with a 40 and I was shooting single stack and using a 45. A first glance the RO wanted to give me a no shoot and I told him to get out his overlay because that was a 40 hole. He did and it was easy to tell that it wasn't my shot so it all worked out. But things do get  missed when people are taping, especially no shoots because people are used to taping them every time

1 hour ago, rooster said:

Could you have an edge hit on no shoot and hit the plate? In that case you would get both hits. If it was a full diameter hit in no shoot the plate hit would not count.

No l checked and there was no way I could overlap the two targets in any way.

• 1 month later...

It’s definitely easy to miss a target to paste or forget to set something up. Luckily I haven’t had this happen to be bud have seen it happen. Worst for me was a plate rack wasn’t set back up. We were only using two of the six plates and they were slightly hidden depending where you stood on the course. Once they came into view after the first three targets I stopped and the RO saw the rack. Luckily this was at a class and I got a little free extra practice.