Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 Failsafe Rod delete

A couple guys told me I should post this for people like myself who want to use an M Die (station 2) before powder drop (station 3)…. 3500 loaded, not one crooked bullet or deformed case. A372915D-C2A3-4901-A391-205B6EE841BF.jpeg.59da43f06ef9de00bc565c07f1d014f8.jpeg

Edited by TimBoettcher

Why is that even necessary? 

I've ran like 10's of thousands of rounds on my 550 without a failsafe and a few thousand on my new 750 without it. Never even took it out of the box, I just run two springs up top and its never failed me. 

I wish I could take credit for it , but some dude on another forum put the bug in my ear.

If you reload .223 and your twice or three times (or more) fired brass is still shorter than 1.760” then you can do what I call “SPaRR”.

Single

Pass

Rifle

Reloading

On my 650:

Station #1 :  universal decapping die

Station #2 :  Redding S type resizing die with neck bushing

Station #3 :  empty (just a hole)

Station #4 :  Dillon powder measure

Station #5 :  Redding micrometer adjustable bullet seating die.

I use a terry cloth towel wet with rubbing alcohol to get the lube off ….give it the bowling ball polishing method.

Then as a final QA/QC check, I will weigh each round on my digital scale.  I am keeping my eyes  peeled for any round thst weighs say 20 to 25 grains less than the others, which would mean a squib.

I use the two tension springs from Dillon, wrapped around the tapered funnel part of the PM to get the powder bar back to its starting or neutral position.

It is what we used to call here “the Dillon Powder Measure retrograde”.  You used to be able to google it and IIRC it would take you to Eric Wesselman’s website.