Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Variable recoil springs/Stroked guns

Bravo_Victor

Having used mostly conventional recoil springs, has anyone used variable springs in Open guns that are stroked? Typically you bottom out the spring and cut the appropriate amount of coils off but would that even work on variables or does that null and void the purpose of them? 

I don't think you'd want to use a variable spring with a stroked gun, I'd be afraid that cutting coils would decrease the spring resistance a non-linear amount, since variable springs have a larger starting amount of resistance at the beginning of the unlock and compression, and then less as the spring compresses further. You'd be removing coils from the part of the spring where the resistance is less, and that could put more wear on the frame since it will not be slowing the slide as much, and even with the extra stroke it could end up bottoming out with more force than you'd want.

Edited by sc68cal

10 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

I don't think you'd want to use a variable spring with a stroked gun, I'd be afraid that cutting coils would decrease the spring resistance a non-linear amount, since variable springs have a larger starting amount of resistance at the beginning of the unlock and compression, and then less as the spring compresses further. You'd be removing coils from the part of the spring where the resistance is less, and that could put more wear on the frame since it will not be slowing the slide as much, and even with the extra stroke it could end up bottoming out with more force than you'd want.

yeah thats what i figured. Just wanted to make sure

No it actually bottoms out on itself , its pretty flat dot bounce is minimal its a 38sc that being said my 9 major pistol non stroked that I had was flatter .I have thought about playing around with diff springs weights but I don't hardly ever shoot it since I started shooting carry optics 

9 minutes ago, chase214 said:

No it actually bottoms out on itself , its pretty flat dot bounce is minimal its a 38sc that being said my 9 major pistol non stroked that I had was flatter .I have thought about playing around with diff springs weights but I don't hardly ever shoot it since I started shooting carry optics 

Is yours full length? Mine is an Akai 9 major stroked midlength and i gotta cut like 4-5 coils off to make it bottom out with conventional springs. 

1 minute ago, chase214 said:

No its not a full length ,  to make mine bottom out i would need to do the same , I know some people were cutting i think 13lbs springs not 100% sure on spring weight. 

So i use a cut 9lb spring. Im assuming a cut 9lb variable is not gonna have the same weight as conventional

On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, chase214 said:

I run a 7lb variable with an aluminum shok buff in my akai that is stroked with no issues 

Is it really stroked if you add back the removed material with a shock buff?

16 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

Atleast in the Akai, adding one buff is still stroked, 2-3 buffs bring it back. 1 buff dampens it a little. 

Yea. I know when Chris tilly shot for him he destroked his gun, I know it i ever have another one build it won't be stroked