Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AOWB in Open

RickT

There is an earlier thread about AIWB discussing the pros/cons of allowing same similar to USPSA.  If you're running a gun that is forced into Open (e.g., Staccato C2) AOWB would be legal as in no restrictions on holster position.  Really wouldn't affect the draw much although I'd want to use steel clips versus the snap loops I run AIWB.  Will make more sense using my C2 in the occasional local match if I can run the same holster position I use for carry.

This is another example of the inconsistencies between USPSA and SCSA.  The BOD says they want consistency, yet they allow inconsistencies.  USPSA allows AIWB and IWB.  There are surrender draws in some Classifiers and stages.  Same draw as SCSA, except you never have an uprange facing start.

That's not the only one.  How about requiring USPSA commands for rimfire in SCSA?  The RO has to issue a command(s) he does not expect to be followed.  The BOD has explained their logic, but it makes no sense.  There are different USPSA commands for pistol, PCC and revolver.  So why not for rimfire In SCSA?

Rule 8.1.8 specifically allows a shooter to shoot a long gun in SCSA while wearing a holstered pistol.  Why not a rimfire pistol while wearing a holstered gun?  I'm told 8.1.8 specifically allows shooting a long gun.  A rimfire pistol is not specifically mentioned, so it must be inferred it is not legal.  Why?  Everyone is always told not to bring USPSA rules into SCSA.  If SCSA does not forbid it, it is legal.  Except, evidently, when you wish to infer something.

I wish the board would list the reasons AIWB is not permitted in SCSA, but allowed in USPSA.  Maybe there is a reason I have not considered.

Wait,  I cant have a holstered unloaded revolver while I shoot rimfire ?

Gonna have to sit down with the rule book for steel challenge. Not even sure of the correct range commands....  RO needed help last time, thought about stepping up but wasnt sure of SC rules.

47 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Wait,  I cant have a holstered unloaded revolver while I shoot rimfire ?

Only if it is a long gun.  I was told by NROI you could 'infer' shooting a rimfire pistol while wearing a holstered handgun was illegal, because it was not specifically mentioned as allowed.

51 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

RO needed help last time, thought about stepping up but wasnt sure of SC rules.

The commands are the same as for USPSA, even for rimfire.  The difference is what the shooter does after ...hammer down, holster, or ....hammer down, flag.  See below.

8.3.8 “If clear, hammer down, holster” (handguns) or “If clear, hammer down, flag” (PCC) or “If clear, cylinder closed, holster” (revolvers). After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing. While continuing to point the firearm safely downrange, the competitor must perform a final safety check of the firearm as follows:
8.3.8.1 Centerfire self-loading handgun – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or de-cocker, if any).
8.3.8.2 Rimfire pistol – show clear and holster or case. (Trigger need not be pulled.)
8.3.8.3 Rimfire Rifle – show clear, flag, and case. (Trigger need not be pulled.) Note: The bolt must be closed on a chamber flag.

26 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

USPSA was always a rule book of prohibitions.. If it isnt specifically prohibited , its allowed.. 

Same for SCSA, or so I was always told.  Evidently, not for 8.1.8.