Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How important is Powder Check?

Alright, so I'm trying to get going with my new RL1100. I've decided to use a Mr Bulletfeeder so if I use a powder check die I'll have to seat and crimp in the same station. After watching a lot of YouTube videos on the Mr Bulletfeeder there seem to be a number of people who are not using a powder check die. With 9mm this wouldn't be an issue since you can see into the case, but I'm also going to load 223 and 300 Blackout.

So, how important is it to you to have either a visual or automated powder check?  Would you load without one?

Thanks,

David

Edited by davidjon_99

I truly fear a squib load.   mostly because of what happens next.

so I visually check each as best I can and with an active mindset.

AND I want a mechanical check. 

I think I am visually checking the mechanical check.

so yes, I will load without a mechanical check,

buuuut the mark I eyeball is always in place.

my rule is I must see powder BEFORE setting bullet on case.

at some point you have to trust your machinery, so I know I am

past a reasonable line.   I see the consequences of a mistake as

something I would avoid.   thus, I have all the checks I can find

to catch me should I have a lapse in attention.

miranda

I decided against a powder check because I only load 9mm right now and can visually check. The powder check adds to potential spillage so visually inspecting before placing the bullet is fine by me. 

I do not use a bullet feeder and prefer to hand place as part of my routine. 

I’d rather have an endoscope at the Mr. bullet feeder die to visually let me see there’s powder in the case. 

Never had the desire for a powder check and the woes it brings of a combo seater/crimp die. 

It’s a solution looking for a problem.  If the powder bar moves and you don’t mis-cycle the press… You’ll never need it. Ever. 

15 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

IIt’s a solution looking for a problem.  If the powder bar moves and you don’t mis-cycle the press… You’ll never need it. Ever. 

Unless a small piece of paper from the seal on the top of the power container gets into the powder and works its way down to the bottom causing some inconsistent, inaccurate or no powder drops. Dumb new reloader mistake. Now I visually confirm powder in each case when reloading. I also insure that nothing but powder is going into the powder funnel when I pour it in. 

2 hours ago, hiflyer51 said:

Unless a small piece of paper from the seal on the top of the power container gets into the powder and works its way down to the bottom causing some inconsistent, inaccurate or no powder drops. Dumb new reloader mistake. Now I visually confirm powder in each case when reloading. I also insure that nothing but powder is going into the powder funnel when I pour it in. 

I don't think any one is suggesting you not confirm your powder drop.

It's just that there is more than one way to skin that cat.

I've never used a powder check but then I only load 9mm.

You do have to have a little faith that the powder measure will do its thing if you do yours.

My guess is that the majority of powder drop issues are due to the process being interrupted for some reason.

That isn't the powder drops fault.

Edited by ddc
additional comment

22 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

I’d rather have an endoscope at the Mr. bullet feeder die to visually let me see there’s powder in the case. 

Never had the desire for a powder check and the woes it brings of a combo seater/crimp die. 

It’s a solution looking for a problem.  If the powder bar moves and you don’t mis-cycle the press… You’ll never need it. Ever. 

I never used a powder check on me Lee Loadmaster with 223 or 300BLK. Though I did keep a close eye on the powder dropper and would check powder weight every 100 or so rounds.  Maybe it'll just take me a bit to get used to and trust the Dillon powder dropper.

Edited to add: I've tried aiming an endoscope down the opening of a 223 to see powder, but I've not had much luck yet. Such a small hole.

Edited by davidjon_99

23 hours ago, ChuckS said:

How important? Dunno since I never had one on my 650 for the last 18 years. 😉

Lol, never used one on my Lee Loadmaster.  Well, I tried the Double Alpha powder check but never could get it to work consistently with the mixed range brass I typically use. 

54 minutes ago, davidjon_99 said:

I never used a powder check on me Lee Loadmaster with 223 or 300BLK. Though I did keep a close eye on the powder dropper and would check powder weight every 100 or so rounds.  Maybe it'll just take me a bit to get used to and trust the Dillon powder dropper.

Edited to add: I've tried aiming an endoscope down the opening of a 223 to see powder, but I've not had much luck yet. Such a small hole.

yep 223/556  is hard to see.   dark colored powder and dark case interior.

I found what you see is the hint of powder.  place a case that is empty and then one that is filled with a charge

into the 'sighting place'  and after a bit of swapping  you will see texture. that is the powder.

trust it.  it does mean that I run 223 slower than 9mm.  because one has to look and be sure

a glance is not enough.   you will get faster at seeing the powder, however.

miranda

I use a cheap endoscope for a powder check.  I think I paid less than $50 for one with a 4" monitor from Amazon and copied several ideas from the following posts.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/252866-usb-microscope-endoscope-cam/#comment-2813836

For pistol calibers I use the Inline Fabrication 1050 Skylight mount with the camera mounted off the side of the toolhead.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/284347-camera-powder-monitoring-system/#comment-3167376

For rifle calibers, I use the wine cork stuffed in the  position after the powder drop since I don't use a bullet feeder for rifle.  If you're using a bullet feeder for rifle, an off-side mount will work with some careful adjustment, but not as well as directly over the case.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/249489-endoscope-camera-for-powder-monitor/?do=findComment&comment=2779385

And if you want to be extra OCD

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/289823-camera-system-for-rl1100-to-check-for-primer-on-case/#comment-3223346

Nolan