Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting through the crack..

Dlister70

Saw a similar thing recently; match hadn't started yet.

Noodled over it for a bit. Would have been a huge advantage to anyone who had noticed it. 

Found the MD and pointed it out. He said "Thanks man" and we worked together to close the gap. 

If it would fly at a level 2, then it better fly at a level 1.  If you don't take advantage of the opportunity, someone else will and it will cost you stage points if it truly was a good opportunity.  If I'm committing a Saturday to shooting a level1, I'm going to be serious about playing the game as competitively as possible, within the rules.  It's a game of efficiency, I can't imagine leaving a legal opportunity to shave time on the table because of "what if the stage designer didn't think of it?".      

If the match director  does not want shots to go through separations of walls or barricades it’s as simple as stapling a no shoot target over the crack. Takes a couple seconds and problem solved. Otherwise if you can see it you can shoot it.

• 3 weeks later...

I make it a point to mention that any gaps between walls are not ports to be shot through at my match briefing for our level one match.

We have a group of people who come out on Friday after work to set up the match for Saturday morning - it's a level one match and we do our best to have fun, safe, legal stages. We don't have the manpower to zip tie every wall together and sometimes there are gaps.

If someone chooses to shoot through one of those gaps I would ask them to kindly never come back to our match.

All of these "Can I do it or not" scenarios get resolved when stage designers and range masters start looking at the stages from a perspective of ALL THE POSSIBLE WAYS the targets could be engaged vs THIS IS HOW I INTEND TO SHOOT THE STAGE. Glaringly bad holes in stage design are almost always attributed to the Stage Designer or RM only looking at the stage from a perspective of how they would shoot the stage. The famous last words or excuse I hear is "Nobody would do that....." when I point out glaringly bad stage design issues. Then during the match, someone "Does that" and the match staff has to deal with a train wreck situation.

Being lazy and not fixing this stuff before the match actually causes more work in the long run. Embrace the Suck and do it right to start off with then you won't have to deal with the melee during the match.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I had a stage with a gap.
The WSB explicitly stated through ports only and not through any gaps.  A shooter, who was once on the cover of Front Sight shot through the gap.

He was assess a penalty, question it then read the WSB. 

He was a true gentleman and acknowledged his error. 

If you see something wrong with a stage bring it up along with a suggestion, and willingness to personally fix it NEXT time..  Other wise you become "That" Guy

The one that never shows up to help setup, will walk and airgun stages while others are still working,  never fails to point out problems, but no fix suggestions or willingness to help.
Personally when dealing with someone like that I usually reply,,  GREAT we have a volunteer to build next months stages. 

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

If you see something wrong with a stage bring it up along with a suggestion, and willingness to personally fix it NEXT time..  Other wise you become "That" Guy

The one that never shows up to help setup, will walk and airgun stages while others are still working,  never fails to point out problems, but no fix suggestions or willingness to help.
Personally when dealing with someone like that I usually reply,,  GREAT we have a volunteer to build next months stages. 

I both agree and disagree with your stance on this. I agree that if someone finds an issue they should also be providing a potential solution. Not everyone is wired that way though. Some people literally have ZERO critical thinking skills and couldn't offer up a viable solution if their life depended on it. This unfortunately includes some stage designers.

I don't agree with the stance of "If you are not helping with stage design or setup, then you don't get to complain about the stages". Match staff quickly forgets that a match is a product that competitors PAY to consume. People pay their match fee so they can consume a product. Do matches require a certain level of volunteerism to happen? Yes. But not everyone is willing to step up to volunteer. Valid constructive criticism needs to be heard and addressed regardless of how much or little "Skin in the game" the person providing the feeding back has in making the match happen. If something needs to be fixed to make the match run better for everyone, it shouldn't matter where that feedback comes from.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 2:57 AM, mscott said:

If the match director  does not want shots to go through separations of walls or barricades it’s as simple as stapling a no shoot target over the crack. Takes a couple seconds and problem solved. Otherwise if you can see it you can shoot it.

That's how I see it.

I recently shot a match where there was a gap about 4 inches between some stacked barrels.  A few shooters before me choose not to shoot through it even though I had mentioned it out loud during the walk through how there is a huge gap between the stacked barrels and taking the shot would save a lot of time.  They didn't take it and when I ran it I shot through it only to hear them moan about it not being legal.  

That gap could of been closed off by bringing the barrels closer or even stapling a no shoot between them

16 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

That's how I see it.

I recently shot a match where there was a gap about 4 inches between some stacked barrels.  A few shooters before me choose not to shoot through it even though I had mentioned it out loud during the walk through how there is a huge gap between the stacked barrels and taking the shot would save a lot of time.  They didn't take it and when I ran it I shot through it only to hear them moan about it not being legal.  

That gap could of been closed off by bringing the barrels closer or even stapling a no shoot between them

That would only be true if you were the first squad to shoot that stage, if not you leave it alone and learn from it for next time. You could make the adjustment and have everyone that had shot it prior reshoot. If it was moved and half the squads had shot it and the other half shot it with the correction, the stage should be tossed.