Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to replace Solo 1000 in pistol

Pseudonym

I just opened my last 8lb jug of Solo 1000, and I am trying to find a replacement powder. I had started trying powders, but with the limited availability of powders it has been a pain. I have and use N320 and Universal for other caliber and loads, but was not happy with the results trying to use them as a replacement for Solo 1000 loadings. The powders I have yet to try in the same burn rate are Trail Boss, E3, and the Ramshot powder line. What powder did you guys use to replace Solo 1000?

I looked through almost 40 years of reloading manuals and the lowest 38 special bullet weight loading I could find was for a 148gr wad cutter. I am trying to find a powder that has similar characteristics to Solo 1000. It is a flake powder, somewhat bulky, clean burning, soft shooting, low SD in the calibers I was loading it in. 

Edited by Pseudonym

On 9/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, Pseudonym said:

I looked through almost 40 years of reloading manuals and the lowest 38 special bullet weight loading I could find was for a 148gr wad cutter. I am trying to find a powder that has similar characteristics to Solo 1000. It is a flake powder, somewhat bulky, clean burning, soft shooting, low SD in the calibers I was loading it in. 

This was for WST powder.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, Pseudonym said:

Sounds like e3. It’s a flake, clean, bulky and most ES in single digits plus no temp sensitivity.  I loaded up some plated 148 dewc with 2.3-2.8. 

I was looking at E3, seems to be a shortage of published pistol data for it. I recall 10 or so years ago people on this reloading forum debating if it was the next great powder or was too fast for pistol loads and would blow up your gun. I found some 38 special 158 loads and 45acp, I did not locate any data for 38 special 124/125gr bullets.  The other powder I came across was Alliant BE 86, also another newer powder I have zero experience with. 

3 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I was looking at E3, seems to be a shortage of published pistol data for it. I recall 10 or so years ago people on this reloading forum debating if it was the next great powder or was too fast for pistol loads and would blow up your gun. I found some 38 special 158 loads and 45acp, I did not locate any data for 38 special 124/125gr bullets.  The other powder I came across was Alliant BE 86, also another newer powder I have zero experience with. 

They don’t show any load data for it in metallic loads but basically everyone uses Clays data as a starting point. E3 doesn’t spike like Clays but basically accuracy goes bad before it gets to a danger zone, or at least that’s what I’ve encountered.  The only drawback is that it can be a pain in some powder measures at the lower end. 

BE 86 is alot slower than what you are looking for. I liked it for Pin loads under 180's in 357.  also loaded alot of 158 SWC's at around 1150 IIRC again in 357 cases.
AA2/cleanshot been my new go to fast end powder,, Been pretty much consolidating.  AA2, BE 86 and 2400 will pretty much do anything I want in all my handguns, 

18 hours ago, Joe4d said:

BE 86 is alot slower than what you are looking for. I liked it for Pin loads under 180's in 357.  also loaded alot of 158 SWC's at around 1150 IIRC again in 357 cases.
AA2/cleanshot been my new go to fast end powder,, Been pretty much consolidating.  AA2, BE 86 and 2400 will pretty much do anything I want in all my handguns, 

Yeah I did not see any burn rate data fir the BE86, and am not familiar with it, thanks for the information.