Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bag for working majors.


Recommended Posts

(Wasn’t quite sure which topic I should put this post in so I figured this was broad enough)  

 

What all do you carry with you when working a major?  I’ve made a list up of the following.  
 

Staple puller, staple gun and staples. 
Adjustable wrench (x2) for poppers 
Hammer 
First aid kit 
Tape measure 
Multi tool 
Large zip lock bag for tablet (if raining)
Razor knife 

Anything I should add?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to what's already been said by both of you...

 

one crescent wrench 

two 3/4in combo wrenches

two measuring tapes (one 6-12ft and one larger 25+ft)

2lb mini sledge

Stanley demo tool

Sharpies

long thin zip ties (for checking barrel obstruction)

thick heavy zip ties (field expedient repairs)

Gorilla duct tape (the black one, also for field repairs)

cheap aerosol lubricating oil

bug spray

sun block

a good chair

an umbrella

 

I always have extra tools, tire plugging kit, air compressor, jump pack, EMR kit, and other odds & ends in the truck... and yes, I've needed all but the medical supplies to help people at a match. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Where are y’all working majors where most of this stuff isn’t already provided by the MD?? 

 

^^This

I bring my own IFAK, leatherman/multi-tool, sharpie, pen, adjustable wrench and at least one 3/4" combo wrench, overlays, USB power pack for charging my ear-pro and phone, Advil, travel pack of tissue, couple D-Wipe packs, sweat rag/snap towel, folding stool/chair. Often my own water/snacks as well.

 

I do bring my own stapler and 9/16" staples because I really like how well my Dewalt carbon fiber one works. Very easy to use and does not get hot if left out in the sun like metal ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Where are y’all working majors where most of this stuff isn’t already provided by the MD?? 

 

I've only worked level 2 matches over the last two seasons, but I have never, ever seen most of that stuff in the box the leave with us at the stage.

 

I have seen squad backups caused by an activator cable shackle coming apart and then having to wait for the fix it guy to show up to deal with.  Something that could have been fixed, at least temporarily, if some of the simple tools and supplies already listed were immediately at hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

 

I've only worked level 2 matches over the last two seasons, but I have never, ever seen most of that stuff in the box the leave with us at the stage.

 

I have seen squad backups caused by an activator cable shackle coming apart and then having to wait for the fix it guy to show up to deal with.  Something that could have been fixed, at least temporarily, if some of the simple tools and supplies already listed were immediately at hand.

You need better MDs then. When we run larger matches we have an extra cable with whatever connectors used on hand for each activator. Extra targets, staplers, wrenches if steel is used, spray paint, pasters and tape are on all the stages even for our locals. Depending on the temps, spare battery or even ice packs for the tablets are on each stage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That LA Gear bag they gave us at 2021 Nats works pretty good as a RO range bag when you have to fly across country.  It was even big enough to use as my range bag during staff match 2022 Classic Nats.  Made me rethink all the crap I lug around in my much bigger normal range bag when I can drive to the range…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

 

Really?  You tell them that.

If I volunteered my time to work a major match, even if it got to shoot it for free, and I had to provide all that RO stuff myself I would talk to the MD and then never volunteer for that match again. I have no problem bringing items for myself to use to make my own experience better/easier, but I shouldn't have to bring the basics needed to maintain the stage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a difference in having a few items in a small bag to use in a pinch to keep the stage moving, while waiting for Mr Fix-it to make permanent repairs, and fully stocking all repairs for a stage. 

 

My bag is to get me out of a bind, while trying to keep shooters moving so we can keep our time quotas, or to help me more efficiently and safely do my job as RO/CRO. I've had to use it at locals all the way through Nationals. Sometimes, s#!t happens and it's better to be prepared with a small bag than standing around with your thumb up your ass & aggravated shooters standing around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, broadside72 said:

If I volunteered my time to work a major match, even if it got to shoot it for free, and I had to provide all that RO stuff myself I would talk to the MD and then never volunteer for that match again. I have no problem bringing items for myself to use to make my own experience better/easier, but I shouldn't have to bring the basics needed to maintain the stage. 

 

Cool story bro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't bring as much as some of these other folks do, but I know that there are times Mr. Fixit can't be there, and if I can get an activator or some other item up and running quickly, I'll do it.  Part of maintaining my stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...