Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Mini Mr. Bulletfeeder

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-mr-bulletfeeder

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder

Anyone have a point of view or experience with the lower cost option ?   I'm just starting out and will purchase an XL750, but I don't load high volume and thought the mini bullet feeder and the mini case feeder might be a good way to simplify getting started.  I'm not looking to go the absolute lowest cost, but simplicity I do value. 

Loading 9mm minor power loads for PCC. 

The mini-case feeder has value. Having a 650/750 without some sort of case feed capability is very constraining on your process.

I think you would only load a small amount without a case feeder before you realized the necessity.

The mini-bullet feeder? Not nearly as handy to have.

The problem is that you have to load it prior to your production run. 

So you are doing operations in serial that could be performed in parallel.

Whether or not that is big deal to you is the question.

One option is to have just the bullet dropper die mounted and feed it by hand manually.

That accomplishes two things.

1. The bullet dropper die actually does a better job of consistently setting the bullet in the case mouth perfectly vertical than your fingers can.

2. You are performing the action in parallel with your lever pulling.

Plenty of people swear by the mini-bullet feeder. That's great. I tried it and quickly put it back in the box. I do use the bullet dropper die as I explained.

Edited by ddc

41 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-mr-bulletfeeder

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder

Anyone have a point of view or experience with the lower cost option ?   I'm just starting out and will purchase an XL750, but I don't load high volume and thought the mini bullet feeder and the mini case feeder might be a good way to simplify getting started.  I'm not looking to go the absolute lowest cost, but simplicity I do value. 

Loading 9mm minor power loads for PCC. 

The big question is how many rounds per year are you going to shoot?  When I had a 650 with the case feeder and Mr. bullet feeder I could load 600 RPH taking my time.

2 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

The big question is how many rounds per year are you going to shoot?  When I had a 650 with the case feeder and Mr. bullet feeder I could load 600 RPH taking my time.

I will reload about 15k rounds / year.    

54 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I will reload about 15k rounds / year.    

You can guess what I think:

For that amount a case feeder of some type is a very good idea and just about mandatory.

The bullet feeder is optional.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a bullet feeder. But if you want a bullet feeder I'd save the money you'll spend on the mini and get a real feeder.

There are 3d printed options. I've had one and been very satisfied.

6 hours ago, ddc said:

You can guess what I think:

For that amount a case feeder of some type is a very good idea and just about mandatory.

The bullet feeder is optional.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a bullet feeder. But if you want a bullet feeder I'd save the money you'll spend on the mini and get a real feeder.

There are 3d printed options. I've had one and been very satisfied.

Amen to that. Ive had mine for 3 years. It started on my RL650. Graduated to my RL1100. Cranking out 1,700 RPH NP.

307055480_1117731772478152_1188077868362231657_n.jpg

I would go for a "real" case feeder and skip the bullet feeder, if you have 1 of the 2 the other is just nice to have but does not add much speed wise.

It is more comfortable with both, but not really needed.

When I loaded on the 650 with just the case feeder I could do about 1200 round/hour with both case and bullet feeder it went to about 1300 round/hour.

Not a really big improvement. (Number are just the loading process, not filling primers/cases or bullets)

On my LnL AP I use a bullet feeder and I do not feel the need to add a case feeder, you have a hand spare anyway.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, jrdoran said:

I'm not looking to go the absolute lowest cost, but simplicity I do value. 

It is simple…a Dillon case feeder will improve your production by about 100% with virtually no extra effort.

The mini  Mr Bulletfeeder will give you about an extra 50% with nominal additional effort…filling the tubes is not a big chore…get two magazines and you can do over 200 rounds between breaks..that usually takes me 10 minutes of actual reloading time…5 minutes to refill the magazines, top up powder and refill primer tube and go again. 
ymmv

Case feeder is essential as others have said.

If you're really price conscious, you can buy a 3d printer + all the components needed to make a case AND bullet feeder for less than the cost of the Dillon case feeder. I run a printed case and bullet feeder with 0 issues- cost about 100 bucks to make both since I already have a printer. Just food for thought. 

PM me if you want extra details I dont want to hijack this thread 

Edited by CC3D

Thanks for all the informed feedback.   3d Printing in on my hobby checklist, but I'm not there yet. 

Based on all the feedback, I'll definitely purchase the case feeder and likely the bullet feeder as well.  Normally I just jump into the deep end of the pool with equipment and this time I was trying to inch my way in, but your experience and advice has convinced me of the value of these two.

thanks;

OK,  change in plans.   a Dillon 550 fell into my lap for basically nothing, so I am going with my keep it simple approach and will start with non-auto index and full manual loading for a bit.  I'm confident I will escalate my loading to a xl750 with auto case and auto bullet at a minimum , but for now I am going old school.   

I will now stand back and let the commentary commence…

2 hours ago, jrdoran said:

OK,  change in plans.   a Dillon 550 fell into my lap for basically nothing, so I am going with my keep it simple approach and will start with non-auto index and full manual loading for a bit.  I'm confident I will escalate my loading to a xl750 with auto case and auto bullet at a minimum , but for now I am going old school.   

I will now stand back and let the commentary commence…

The 550 is a great machine and provides all the functionality many will ever need or desire.

The auto indexing feature on the 750 is great but it takes away some flexibility.

I think having the 550 for a first press is a great idea.

When you are ready for the 750 the transition should be very straightforward.

Thats a good machine, it was my first Dilon press back in 1990. I loaded 300 RPH np. It all comes down to how much time you want to spend in the reloading room. Im 56 now . I started when I was 21 years old. Back then I had more energy , now that Im older and have much deeper pockets, I want the latest and greatest equipment, less stress on my body doing things manually. So Im at the automated level going on 3 years now. Ive been a master tech wrenching on automobiles for 32 years now. My hands get tired  Good luck enjoy the new machine. Were all here to help out if you have any questions. Have a great week !

Edited by Johnnymazz

• 1 month later...

great advice and opinions on this thread.

I like the manual indexing on my 550c . This allows me to stop reloading if a problem presents.( been reloading 2+ years and have yet to experience a problem free session--usually related to the primer system).  My hands are messed up due to injury. manipulating the bullets is difficult to get done fast.  cases are larger and a bit easie rto place in position

as I manually reload on the 550c, I have  noted the following

2-3 seconds to  place a case in station #1

2-3 seconds to place a bullet in station #2

3-4 seconds to operate the  reloader.

I am able to make 5-6 rounds/minute (IF no problems present to slow me down). I have had only 1 session making 100 rounds in 20 minutes. 

this thread  has me thinking about the case and bullet feeder options.  Like  our OP, I load 15,000 rounds each winter. I like reloading but would prefer spending less time doing it. 2 hours or more to make 400 rounds is a bit tiresome.

I have to contemplate adding  the feeders. case feeder seems to be the one to buy as it would allow easier loading and hold cases  in place during sizing and depriming.

wondering if the price of admission( dillon quotes about  $650 for the case feeder) is worth saving 2 seconds  per round. Mini bullet feeder is tempting but seems a bit complicated to install. also requires changes in a perfectly working powder system.  Murphys law  apply e  here ;)

I am concerned about the ease of setting up a case feeder to work properly.  any thoughts?

Edited by boatdoc173

I have the mini bullet feeder in my 750 and yes it is a much affordable option.  Should you get it? Think of how much do you reload.  If its large quantities then go the electric route.  If its, say, 100-200 rds at a time you can benefit from the mini.  However, its true what others say, you will have to stop production to fill the tubes and this feels like driving a super fast car at 55mph.

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

I have the mini bullet feeder in my 750 and yes it is a much affordable option.  Should you get it? Think of how much do you reload.  If its large quantities then go the electric route.  If its, say, 100-200 rds at a time you can benefit from the mini.  However, its true what others say, you will have to stop production to fill the tubes and this feels like driving a super fast car at 55mph.

Super nice video you made.  👏

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, Chapo said:

Have you ever, while not thinking, tried to lift the cassette off the die to load it only to have the die release everything that was still in it? Yeah, I made that mistake once.