Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to Rejigger SC Divisions?

RickT

6 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

BS.

i did it this year on a dare. borrowed a revo, spent 20 rounds to chrono and zero, and went to a match. ill never shoot revo again tho. top 42% actually. my mother would be proud, except i was too embarrassed to admit to her that i shot a wheelgun. 😇

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/5/2022 at 7:32 AM, varminter22 said:

Why would you say that?  Everyone is (supposedly) shooting only against others in their division/class, are they not?  

The game just isnt suited for revolvers,, I mean we could have a flintlock pistol division, and only shoot against flintlock pistols but I think it woulda kinda suck.  Would pretty much be a reloading game not a shooting game.
Why I like pins and SC so far... seems to be fun shooting games.

16 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

The game just isnt suited for revolvers,, I mean we could have a flintlock pistol division, and only shoot against flintlock pistols but I think it woulda kinda suck.  Would pretty much be a reloading game not a shooting game.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:30 PM, motosapiens said:

i did it this year on a dare. borrowed a revo, spent 20 rounds to chrono and zero, and went to a match. ill never shoot revo again tho. top 42% actually. my mother would be proud, except i was too embarrassed to admit to her that i shot a wheelgun. 😇

i did it this year on a dare. borrowed a revo, spent 20 rounds to chrono and zero, and went to a match. ill never shoot revo again tho. top 42% actually. my mother would be proud, except i was too embarrassed to admit to her that i shot 

Thank you.

22 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Sooo, you'll shoot targets that move and spin when not hit well with a revo as opposed to stationary targets ?

47 minutes ago, 10mmdave said:

Sooo, you'll shoot targets that move and spin when not hit well with a revo as opposed to stationary targets ?

I wouldnt know about that,, because I hit them well. Like I said.. a shooting game.   Hey if you like reloading games more power to you.. Not knocking you. I didnt like the couple times I shot single stack either.
But I must be wrong though based on the huge numbers of revolver shooters that show up at USPSA matches.. Must be a great game for them

Edited by Joe4d

This thread has gotten pretty silly. The various divisions in Steel Challenge allow just about any shooter to go play. At major matches, maybe there is a fall off from one division or another. But, the local Teir 1 matches are pretty much the heart & soul of competitive shooting. So what if 2% of those shooters go to a major and complain about the number of shooters in their division? They're still in the 2%. Why should they be able to screw things up for the other 98%?

Leave the game fun, and where almost any can play.

2 hours ago, GOF said:

This thread has gotten pretty silly. The various divisions in Steel Challenge allow just about any shooter to go play. At major matches, maybe there is a fall off from one division or another. But, the local Teir 1 matches are pretty much the heart & soul of competitive shooting.

it is true that this thread is silly. it is also true that there is no good reason anymore to have separate divisions for production, ss and limited. all iron sights centerfire semi-autos are pretty much the same for the purposes of steel. combining them would not stop anyone from playing.

28 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

it is true that this thread is silly. it is also true that there is no good reason anymore to have separate divisions for production, ss and limited. all iron sights centerfire semi-autos are pretty much the same for the purposes of steel. combining them would not stop anyone from playing.

But it might reduce club income.

4 hours ago, GigG said:

But it might reduce club income.

yeh you are gonna have to explain that one a bit. I dont get your logic stream there.  Also dont see how combining limited SS and production under their current definitions screws it up for anyone...
If anything Id rather see a size / weight  based divisions than the current meaningless ones.
Pick a Glock 19 sized box and weight,,,, Call any thing that fits compact,  anything that doesnt full size.
Just dumb to be using USPSA divisions for a game that uses completely different stage and ammo rules.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, ZackJones said:

If I were king for a day and staring a new shooting sport like steel challenge I'd have 8 divisions only: 

Centerfire Open / Irons

PCC Open / Irons

Rimfire Pistol Open / Irons

Rimfire Rifle Open / Irons

I wish Zack was King, but not for a day, for as long as we could talk him into it.

A CO gun won the Main Match several years ago in BJ's hands.  There have been multiple Tier 2 and up matches that a Prod or SS gun was the fastest CF iron sighted gun.  

We should have CFPO and CFPI.  What is currently a CF handgun Division could become a Category.  If there are enough entries at a local/major for a Category to be recognized, then it's recognized. 

If you've shot USPSA long enough, you'd remember when L10 and Revolver were Categories under Limited, not separate Divisions.  SS shooters wanted a division and those in control gave them a L10 Category instead of SS Division.  Revolver was supposed to attract more competitors (sound familiar). 

BTW, I have nothing against revolvers or those that shoot them.  I enjoy watching folks shoot them. I just have no interest in shooting one.

Edited by cferree
mis-phrase sentence

On 10/7/2022 at 4:37 PM, motosapiens said:

how so? i chose to enter limited with my ss gun at our state championship because limited had people in it.

Because there are lots of folks that shoot multiple classes and pay multiple entry fees in matches.  

33 minutes ago, GigG said:

Because there are lots of folks that shoot multiple classes and pay multiple entry fees in matches.  

For your normal monthly matches, you usually cannot sign up for more than 2 guns anyways. Area matches I can see this being the case, but of those, it probably is a marginal difference since Area 5 per say only had 53 of 340 guns being centerfire.

49 minutes ago, GigG said:

there are a handful of people that enter both ss and lim, or open and co, and they do it basically to get more practice. I have done it, and it works. I don't have any problem with that option going away. the revenue loss would be trivial, and it would open up a handful more slots at WSSC.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually shoot Production, but have shot Single Stack and Limited just to shoot different guns.  I have to admit that they are all pretty similar.  Production gives up a little to the other two because of the trigger, but it's not much.  When I check the scores, I compare myself to all three categories.  I don't mind keeping all three, but it would be a nice feature if Practiscore could have a category for Iron Sight Pistol to make checking easier.

10 minutes ago, Almo said:

I usually shoot Production, but have shot Single Stack and Limited just to shoot different guns.  I have to admit that they are all pretty similar.  Production gives up a little to the other two because of the trigger, but it's not much.  When I check the scores, I compare myself to all three categories.  I don't mind keeping all three, but it would be a nice feature if Practiscore could have a category for Iron Sight Pistol to make checking easier.

Practiscore Competitor lets you combine divisions as you wish!

2 hours ago, GigG said:

That sounds like a Practiscore problem not a SCSA problem.

He was pointing out that combining the divisions under "centerfire pistol" was a feature of Practiscore, not a problem. The divisions are also listed separately for those that want to view the results that way.

Unfortunately, Centerfire Pistol includes Carry Optics and Open.  So, it really doesn't narrow it down enough.  Is there another way to combine just Production, Single Stack, and Limited?

On 10/21/2022 at 2:16 PM, Almo said:

Unfortunately, Centerfire Pistol includes Carry Optics and Open.  So, it really doesn't narrow it down enough.  Is there another way to combine just Production, Single Stack, and Limited?

Yeh, Just call it limited and eliminate Production and Single stack..
Those guns all meet existing Limited rules, and capacity, power factor, and trigger type are meaningless from a competition  perspective..