Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2011 and thumbrest question

BLUEPSTU

I have purchased the 5 inch Springfield Armory Prodigy. I just purchased a thumbrest that takes place of the slidestop. I have purchased several of these same slide stops for various CZ

pistols. (Of course this new thumbrest is one that is made for 2011s) The thumbrests worked fine and fit flush  However, the thumbrest for the prodigy does not seem to fit as flush in the gun as the stock slide stop lever. This doesn't bother me but I have noticed that the plunger tube is pushed in and always pressed (not fully extended) when the stock stop in inserted. However, when the thumbrest is in, it does not go in deep enough that the plunger tube is indented. It is actually fully extended like it would be if the gun were broken down and did not a have slide stop in at all. This is because there is actually a gap on the thumbrest that allows the plunger tube to protrude. If I were able to push the thumbrest in a little more, it would cause the plunger tube to be indented. Nothing is affected in the way the slide moves back and forth on the frame. Is this a problem if the tube is not indented? Hopefully my post makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the world of 1911 aftermarket..
Lots of different MFG,  with various ages of machinery and QC building guns.
Almost all aftermarket parts tend to be made at the extreme size of tolerances to allow them to be fit to what ever gun the buyer has.
Its not like other guns who tend to have a single mfg, with a single set of tooling, So it is easy to make true fairly drop in parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using nitrofin for over 5 years and it has been great, keeping my support hand placement consistent as long as you dont use it to put a downward pressure which then alters your grip. In saying that, I am in two school of thoughts because with the nitrofin, the palm part of my support hand thumb isn't making a strong grip on the pistol so I am rethinking if I should remove it and that will allow my thumb to be parallel with the barrel and have more palm touching the gun. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 2:38 AM, dansedgli said:

Why doesnt it sit as flush? 

I think it has something to do with the barrel link movement when installing the thumbrest pin through it. I think the "play" in the link shifts it a little to where the thumbrest doesn't line up with the recessed area on the slide. If I machine away part of the thumbrest that goes up against the slide I think it will fit into the recessed area better and allow it to fit more flush.