Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use target tape anymore?

TaterHead

We still use tape. I personally prefer the pasters since they stick better. Because with tape, shooters tear off strips of tape, attach them to their pants, then peel off the tape, patch targets, return tape to their pants. After a couple of times doing that, the tape doesn’t stick as well to the targets. Then there’s the guys who rip pieces of tape and stick them to the side of the tape roll. This allows dirt and debris to stick to those pieces. This shows up when shots hit the taped areas and the tape peels away making it difficult to ascertain which hole counts. 

Was told that the pasters create more trash as shooters throw the paper backing into the buckets instead of the trash can. 

I’m glad major matches use pasters. Although I have heard one MD complain of the number of pasters being used or taken. 

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

We use tape for all of our matches. And to help keep track of where the tape is and not in someones bag or cart and no one can find it, we use 5 gallon buckets at each stage with the tape attached and staplers in the buckets.

IMG_1667.JPG

That’s very clever!

My club shifted entirely to pasters a couple months ago.  The reliability is much better than tape, particularly in inclement weather.  You almost never get that "blasted off nine pieces of tape" effect on close targets with pasters.

There's always one or two guys with paster guns on most squads and they tend to fly through the pasting compared to those of us who refuse to spend a hundred bucks on a paster gun :)

My only complaint is that they do generate a ton of waste paper.

We mostly switched over from paster guns to paster holders like the ones DAA sells or you can print yourself:

22mm Target Patch Dispenser by SamK3D - Thingiverse

And tbh, the printed ones work better than the DAA ones.

Main reason is that the only tape guns available are the ones DAA sells and those don't last and are prone to issues.

(And the people pasting don't know how to fill them)

On 7/11/2022 at 5:24 AM, mrvip27 said:

5 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

Main reason is that the only tape guns available are the ones DAA sells and those don't last and are prone to issues.

(And the people pasting don't know how to fill them)

Don't last and prone to issues? I don't know anyone that has had that experience. I have many many thousands of pasters thru mine without any issues. Except rain, but that has nothing to do with the tape gun ;->

7 hours ago, RobW said:

Don't last and prone to issues? I don't know anyone that has had that experience. I have many many thousands of pasters thru mine without any issues. Except rain, but that has nothing to do with the tape gun ;->

I mean this one :double-alpha-academy-s-speed-patcher.web

Not the one with the large roll on top of the paster. 

Eventually it will run out of sync, only half a paster comes out, pasters will stick inside the machine etc.

We had maybe about 10 and ditched all of them, other clubs as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

All the clubs I shoot at only use tape, the only ones using pasters are the ones bringing their own tape guns. At our majors they have pasters but the rolls always seem to disappear when the match is over, never to be seen at the club again for locals.