Ruptured Calf Muscle

TheChef1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:07 PM, Miranda said:

the only thing that made my arm feel better

was hot water soaks. 

a whirl spa bath?

can you take off the boot?

miranda

Yeah the boot is removable but its hard to put any weight down without it. I pretty much just remove it in bed. apparently heat is not good for the healing process but ice is.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Dirty_J said:

I sustained this injury back in April. Gave myself 7-8 weeks of rest and rehab and I’m right back at it. 

I was hoping to have only a month out but im over 2 weeks in and I dont see that happening now. I may go try to shoot a steel match or something with little movement.

4 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Yeah the boot is removable but its hard to put any weight down without it. I pretty much just remove it in bed. apparently heat is not good for the healing process but ice is.

I was hoping to have only a month out but im over 2 weeks in and I dont see that happening now. I may go try to shoot a steel match or something with little movement.

Just be sure to stay on the PT and keep it moving when you can. Otherwise it’ll be crazy tight. 

2 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Just be sure to stay on the PT and keep it moving when you can. Otherwise it’ll be crazy tight. 

I still need to work and as a chef thats on my feet so keeping it moving is definitely not an issue. I'm sure thats why after 2 weeks im not recovering as fast as id hoped. Thanks for the tips though. Whats PT?

I did the same thing on the first stage of Area 5 match this year.  I made the mistake of pushing through the discomfort to finish the match (poorly) and made it significantly worse.  My squad mate was an MD and he advised stop...or 800 mg motrin and soldier on.  Ice and rehab have improved it but still not 100%.

28 minutes ago, LordManHammer said:

I did the same thing on the first stage of Area 5 match this year.  I made the mistake of pushing through the discomfort to finish the match (poorly) and made it significantly worse.  My squad mate was an MD and he advised stop...or 800 mg motrin and soldier on.  Ice and rehab have improved it but still not 100%.

Damn man sorry to hear its still not 100%. Yeah I worked on it for a week before going to the doc. He let me know how stupid that was before I left lol.

1 hour ago, TheChef1 said:

you may want to check into that...   I may be wrong here, I thought Ice at first and after a few days

heat was helpful.    when you get to the tight/stretching, for that, I know heat will help.

6 minutes ago, Miranda said:

you may want to check into that...   I may be wrong here, I thought Ice at first and after a few days

heat was helpful.    when you get to the tight/stretching, for that, I know heat will help.

I went to an orthopedic doctor and he told me no heat or stretching yet. Thats why im in the boot is to keep the foot from moving and stretching the muscle making it worse. I think heat and stretching will come in about a week from now.

I will use your advice next time my arm ... pains me that way.

a line I picked up round here...

yeah it hurt a bit,

pro'bly woulda killed a normal man.

to add to the story tellin later.

miranda

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of heat versus ice for musculoskeletal injury being of any significant importance to the healing process is WAY overrated. The actual change in local blood flow changes by +/- 1.5% MAX. The greatest effects of thermal modalities are neurologic rather than mechanical/vascular.

I always tell my patients (after the first 3-5 days), "Whichever one feels better, do it!"

You get a more significant vascular effect with gentle, submaximal load, movement. In this case, elevated calf pumps - gently flexing your foot up and down through the easy, pain free range for 3-5 minutes every couple of hours. Progress to performing seated heel and toe raises without resistance or pain.

PT, performed properly, will help reduce the pain and promote healing. Target tissue training and manual therapy will help to resolve most deep muscle tears within 4-6 weeks.