Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 extraction problem

timmy75

Hello!
The problem is with one pistol (other one, the same, working flawlessly),fired case gets left in the chamber, and the next round trying to feed, jamming the case in. (and mag too)
Pistol is out of warranty. 3+ years old. maybe 50k rds fired.

Things I've tried:
-Factory ammo, S&B, PPU, Geco...
-125-130-135 PF reloads, FP, FP, FMJ...
-Stock pistol, with stock springs
-with and without CGW and CZUB aftermarket parts
-Dozen of recoil springs 
-Dry extractor, wet extractor, dirty extractor, super clean extractor
-Dirty gun, clean gun
-stronger extractor spring
-stronger extractor spring with one coil cut off
-new non-used extractor with new non used extractor spring
-with and without guide rod buffer
-took extractors+springs from working pistols
-tried new magazines, magazines from working pistols, new magazine springs...

It is always the same, from the first day I bought it, FTE jam happens in around 1/200 rounds fired exactly as much as you need to spoil your match.

EDIT: spent case is always left all the way in chamber not partially out.

Edited by timmy75

4 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Not on the list:

• Hone and polish chamber
  • Have chamber checked for proper dimensions
  • Get a new barrel

Considering OP has checked basically everything else & 50k rounds, the chamber/barrel is a reasonable next step IMHO.

Most of the post written and had a though (No it didn't hurt! 🤣).  You have not mentioned the ejector.  Is it broken?  Everything that follows may now be OBE.

Did you remove extractor when cleaning it?  And, did you clean the extractor groove in the slide when cleaning or replacing extractor, and the breech face include the "notch" on the left side of the breach face?  I am assuming you did based on your description of all your items done to correct problem.  Doubt barrel is the problem but chamber maybe.  My SP01 barrel was burned out at ~60k rounds and virtually ammo through it was reloaded with Titegroup.  Ensure it is clean and polished.  Suspect you already have.  When did the problem begin.  Doubt you lived with it for 50K rounds.   

Thank you guys.
I forgot to mention all of my training and match ammo has been tested with case gauge + barrel plunk test for match ammo.
I'll try to use barrel from my other Shadow 2 to see if it works with this faulty one.

Fun fact: 
I unintentionally loaded batch of 9mm slightly over CIP specified OAL. I've tried that ammo in both my pistols. 
Pistol with extraction problems - chambered only 20/100 rds
Other pistol which works correctly - chambered and fired 95/100 rds

36 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

Most of the post written and had a though (No it didn't hurt! 🤣).  You have not mentioned the ejector.  Is it broken?  Everything that follows may now be OBE.

Did you remove extractor when cleaning it?  And, did you clean the extractor groove in the slide when cleaning or replacing extractor, and the breech face include the "notch" on the left side of the breach face?  I am assuming you did based on your description of all your items done to correct problem.  Doubt barrel is the problem but chamber maybe.  My SP01 barrel was burned out at ~60k rounds and virtually ammo through it was reloaded with Titegroup.  Ensure it is clean and polished.  Suspect you already have.  When did the problem begin.  Doubt you lived with it for 50K rounds.   

-Extractor removed every time for "big" cleaning - ~1000-2000 rds depends on available time for job.
-cleaned everything, grooves, spring, extractor...
-90% of ammo used was loaded with vihtavouri N320 (~3.3gr), it is mouse fart 130PF minor load.
-I lived with it for 50k rds because I live in Europe, it is real PITA when buying a new gun here. Now I have two Shadow 2s. Another one is good. Also, for first two years of shooting I was only making noise and it was fun for me, i didn't care for FTEs. As I became better now it is annoying.

7 hours ago, timmy75 said:

Pistol is out of warranty. 3+ years old. maybe 50k rds fired.

You've put up with this problem for that amount of time?

According to what I read the brass doesn't extract from the chamber, is that correct.?

After all you've done to chase the issue down it can only come down to a few of things;

The gun has an alignment problem between barrel, slide facer and extractor. It would seem the odd brass with a smaller groove isn't being retained by the extractor hook. 

Since the cost and local difficulties of getting a new gun are prohibitive I would suggest you do some modification to the extractor it self. A little filing to make it move closer to the brass may help.  I've circle the surface face you would remove a little at time to see if it helps your problem. 

CZ Shadow 2 extractor.jpeg

On 9/12/2022 at 7:45 PM, HesedTech said:

You've put up with this problem for that amount of time?

According to what I read the brass doesn't extract from the chamber, is that correct.?

After all you've done to chase the issue down it can only come down to a few of things;

The gun has an alignment problem between barrel, slide facer and extractor. It would seem the odd brass with a smaller groove isn't being retained by the extractor hook. 

Since the cost and local difficulties of getting a new gun are prohibitive I would suggest you do some modification to the extractor it self. A little filing to make it move closer to the brass may help.  I've circle the surface face you would remove a little at time to see if it helps your problem. 

CZ Shadow 2 extractor.jpeg

For my Tanfoglio this helped more than a Wolff extra power spring. I took 0.2 mm which may be excessive, 0.1 mm is a better starting point. 

@timmy75 and I mean this in the most polite way, man that is an ugly hole.... in your slide. The firing pin hole looks beat to crap, not that that would have anything to do with extraction or ejection. Your sear cage also looks worn, in weird areas, unless someone stoned the sides of it, but the ejector looks fine. But man for 50k that gun looks rough, I've got a lot more than that through almost every Shadow/Shadow 2 I own and only one or two of them look that worn (both well over 100k each), what kind of ammo are you shooting through them? 

As for the issue, I'd replace the extractor, extractor spring, and pin, and see what happens. I've seen guys with bent extractor pins that caused extraction issues, usually they reused a pin after a case failure/double charge, or similar incident, and the new extractor would bind up on it. An extra power extractor spring as others have mentioned would be a good plan too. 

2 hours ago, slavex said:

@timmy75 and I mean this in the most polite way, man that is an ugly hole.... in your slide. The firing pin hole looks beat to crap, not that that would have anything to do with extraction or ejection. Your sear cage also looks worn, in weird areas, unless someone stoned the sides of it, but the ejector looks fine. But man for 50k that gun looks rough, I've got a lot more than that through almost every Shadow/Shadow 2 I own and only one or two of them look that worn (both well over 100k each), what kind of ammo are you shooting through them? 

As for the issue, I'd replace the extractor, extractor spring, and pin, and see what happens. I've seen guys with bent extractor pins that caused extraction issues, usually they reused a pin after a case failure/double charge, or similar incident, and the new extractor would bind up on it. An extra power extractor spring as others have mentioned would be a good plan too. 

I checked an almost unused an untouched factory sear cage and that has a flat machined service on the end.

If I found a sear cage with a piece (broken??) of, I would replace it, especially if I had ejection problems

Edited by Hansb57

As suggested, remove some material from the extractor so it gets a better bite on the case.

With the slide off, install a case and see how much the extractor is engaging into the case.

You want that hook nice and deep into the case.

From the wear mark on the tip of the hook, it looks like it's pretty shallow.

5 hours ago, slavex said:

@timmy75 and I mean this in the most polite way, man that is an ugly hole.... in your slide. The firing pin hole looks beat to crap, not that that would have anything to do with extraction or ejection.  An extra power extractor spring as others have mentioned would be a good plan too. 

It looks that way because they make it from a recycled Skoda. Hope you didn't forget it 😀 I have seen new guns that this hole looks much worse.

show this gun to local gunsmith probably he will find the problem.

Slowly hand cycle slide with empty case in chamber and on extractor.  Does the extractor pull the case from the chamber?  Look to see where the ejector hits the case and how much of the slide overall travel before ejector hits case, and what the case does.  Is it possible the extractor will pull the case on hand cycling and the firing loads slips off the case rim?

What happens if you cycle slide as quickly as possible with the hand -- grab by rear of slide on serrations, and jerk slide to rear lettng you fingers pull off the slide when it hits it travel limit.

Seems to me that if the extrator is doing its job, and the case isn't ejecting then it is the ejector that is the problem.  

Don;t know if you have access to right equipment, but even a newer cell phone with slow motion video may (stress may) tell you what is happening.  Set up so camera can see down into chamber and fire a few rounds while recording.  I would say camera not more than 45 degrees below horizontal.  Approx. 20-30 degrees may be good enough.

Don't have S2.  My SP01 the ejector flush with breach face has 1.482" of the slide protruding to rear of the receiver.  Measured along the grove on right side of slide to the receiver frame.  Length of ejector is 0.362". Set calipers flush to rails and measured total length.  I had periodic ejection issues until changing the contour of the ejector face.

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

Edited by GeneBray
Corrected spelling errors

• 1 month later...