Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ mags - do people use them?

Tabasco

Hey everyone, question for folks.  So when everyone posts about mags, it is about Mec-gar.  Are the CZ mags okay as well?

Going to be shooting CO and was going to pick up some extended base pads and gram spring and followers for the two stock CZ mags I have then get 3 Mec-gars.  But should I just pick up 5 Mec-gars?

Thanks for reading what feels like a silly question.

I just started playing around with a CZ S2, and I think it has to do with the round count/length of the stock CZ mags.  To get 23 + 1 with existing mag extensions, requires the Mec-Gar mags with extensions to be within 140mm.  It was used and came with Mec-gar mags with extensions to where I can get 23+1.  None of the CZ mags had extensions.  

From the little research I did on the forum it lines up with what I said above.  Maybe someone makes mag extensions to get the stock CZ mags to 23+1 and measure less than 140mm, but I have not read that anywhere.   

I had the same question.

Edited by Boomstick303

Most of the extensions out there are designed to make 140mm with the mecgar mags, not the CZ factory ones.

If you plan to use extended base pads, get mec gar tubes.

Grams springs and followers in CZ magazines (no extended base pad) will get you 20 rounds capacity. 

Edited by DesertTortoise

17 hours ago, Tabasco said:

Hey everyone, question for folks.  So when everyone posts about mags, it is about Mec-gar.  Are the CZ mags okay as well?

Going to be shooting CO and was going to pick up some extended base pads and gram spring and followers for the two stock CZ mags I have then get 3 Mec-gars.  But should I just pick up 5 Mec-gars?

Thanks for reading what feels like a silly question.

Been using CZ mags since starting USPSA Production '06.  No complaints, no issues, most in stock form hold 19+1.  Never saw need to buy Mea-gar.  Know they make quality product, but with the CZ mags doing everything I need at a lower cost never changed.

Edited.

P.S.  Stayed with CZ mags for my USPSA CO SP01 as well.  Same reason(s).

Edited by GeneBray

1 hour ago, regor said:

Mec-Gar is the OEM for the CZ75 mags and the Mec-Gar branded ones are cheaper than the CZ branded ones, which is probably the main reason why everyone standardized around them. 

Makes sense.  Mine have the Cz logo stamp, but they look exactly like Mec-gar and say 17 rnds.  I think the actual CZ mags are 16 or 18 from doing a little digging since I posted.  Thanks all!

On 9/9/2022 at 9:40 PM, Shooter212 said:

I just bought a shadow 2 the mags that came with the gun say mec gar on the plus two. Will these work with aftermarket base pads?

228152C1-34F9-4E5A-A6FF-6C52BD33006F.jpeg

See the post above.  I think they are actually mec-gar mags that come with the CZs

I don't understand the fascination with mag capacity.  When I shot Limited major, my mags held 20 reloadable.  20 is enough for two complete arrays of 8 shots each with four available for makeups.  What does an additional three buy you?  Not much from my perspective.  Seven additional isn't enough for another array and too many for makeups.

There was some discussion of this at the match yesterday.  One of the shooters said that every shooter using CZ mags with extensions failed the gauge test at the chrono station.  TTI extensions were specifically mentioned.  I don't know if it was +4 or +2 extensions. 

On 9/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, zzt said:

I don't understand the fascination with mag capacity.  When I shot Limited major, my mags held 20 reloadable.  20 is enough for two complete arrays of 8 shots each with four available for makeups.  What does an additional three buy you?  Not much from my perspective.  Seven additional isn't enough for another array and too many for makeups.

LOL....right, everyone always says "I wish I didn't have more ammo".  24 rounds is enough to do a hoser classifier without a reload and to run three arrays of four targets before reloading.  If that slide lock reload (disabling the slide lock is dumb) is done under cover of movement it costs zero extra time, and can turn a large field course from a two reload stage to a one reload stage.  More ammo is more options.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, zzt said:

There was some discussion of this at the match yesterday.  One of the shooters said that every shooter using CZ mags with extensions failed the gauge test at the chrono station.

You might want to turn on the BS filter.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, zzt said:

There was some discussion of this at the match yesterday.  One of the shooters said that every shooter using CZ mags with extensions failed the gauge test at the chrono station.  TTI extensions were specifically mentioned.  I don't know if it was +4 or +2 extensions. 

When the TS Orange guns were fairly new a friend had a similar problem. I think the lesson he learned was to gauge check himself rather than trust the extension manufacturer. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

On 9/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, zzt said:

I don't understand the fascination with mag capacity

It is called having every advantage possible.  There is one new classifier that has a round count of 24 rounds.  Therefore, you can take a risk and shoot that classifier without reloading.  I have seen several stages at locals with 20-22 rounds, which has been refreshing, to where one needs to use strategy to reload or not.  If you do not have 23+1 in CO these things are not an option.  

Not that I am anywhere to need this for majors, I am sure the top shooters will gladly load 23 +1 when possible.  Otherwise it may cost them because others can load to 23 +1.

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

More ammo is more options.

Yup.

I can think of a few times when s#!t went a little sideways and after the stage I went back and picked up my mag to find it empty. Had I started with 1 less round, what ended being a okay run would of turned into a total dumpster fire.

Which reminds me, what's up with finding grams springs and followers for CZ? I bought some mags a few weeks back and no one had those in stock. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

It is called having every advantage possible.  There is one new classifier that has a round count of 24 rounds.  Therefore, you can take a risk and shoot that classifier without reloading.  I have seen several stages at locals with 20-22 rounds, which has been refreshing, to where one needs to use strategy to reload or not.  If you do not have 23+1 in CO these things are not an option.  

I have yet to see a stage or one of the new Classifiers where you could not reload without losing time.  Even at one club that usually has a hoser stage or two, I reload.  I shoot 9mm major Open now with two 26 round and on 29 round mags.  I never empty a mag.  The only reason I have the 26 round mags is I got them on sale for the same price as the 140s.  When I shot 40sw Open I used 20 and 26 round mags.  Never felt handicapped.

It may have something to do with where I shoot.  All three clubs make absolutely certain you cannot engage all the targets from one spot.  Two make sure you have to use the entire shooting area to engage all the targets.  On those stages you could reload twice if you wanted without costing time.

In the spring of this year I had to send my 2011 frame back for warranty replacement.  I did not have a backup at the time.  So I shot the next match with my 1911 Open gun and 10 round mags.  It made no discernable difference, except for stage planning.

15 minutes ago, zzt said:

I have yet to see a stage or one of the new Classifiers where you could not reload without losing time.

I doubt they are many and this might even be the only one.  21-01 Trigger Freeze.  24 rounds and I cannot see how you would not loose time if you reload in that you can pretty much blend all target arrays.   

Again Options.  The more options/tools at you disposal the better chance of success.  Again 23+1 has given me the option to shoot numerous stages without reload where that would not be an option with 22+1 at a few locals now.   Risk vs reward in most instances.   If I see a stage where its an option but I felt a reload would not cost me time I will reload.  Some instance the reload would cost me time I at least have the option of not reloading.

As @Racinready300ex mentioned above, I have had stages where things did not go exactly to plan for the first mag and I pick up that mag which is completely empty.  Disaster averted.  Or at least disaster minimized.  

For me, no way I'm shooting trigger freeze as fast with a reload as I do with out.

I'm okay at reloading, I've made G in two division. But still it takes some amount of my attention to load the gun. It may not seem like I'm losing any time but there is some amount of time lost to focus on the reload vs focus on just running or just keeping the gun up the whole time. 

I'm certainly not to the point I can say I don't loose any time reloading on a stage. 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, zzt said:

This may be the dumbest thing I've read online in a long time.   Complete 💩 !!  There were a total of 5 shooters that got bumped to Open, and it could have been for any number of reasons.   

20 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I doubt they are many and this might even be the only one.  21-01 Trigger Freeze. 

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

For me, no way I'm shooting trigger freeze as fast with a reload as I do with out.

You guys obviously move a lot faster then me.  I shot Trigger Freeze last match.  I went back and looked at the times for that stage. The Gs, Ms and As were completing in 6 to 10 seconds.  If I could move fast enough to complete in under 7 seconds, there is no way I'd have time to reload without costing time.  So I'll concede the point.  Interestingly, there were two L shooters in the top 10.  An 8.28 and a 9.81.  They had to reload.  I also watched JJ's video.  He reloaded while moving over to T1-4 and it cost him zero time.

20 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm certainly not to the point I can say I don't loose any time reloading on a stage. 

Nor am I.  I think like .5% of USPSA shooters are on this level if that.

Watching people like JJ reload is like watching magic sometimes.

Pretty easy to watch video and see most shooters are waiting for the reload to finish where their gun could be running already.  Yet you hear so many insist that reloads are not costing them time.  

On 9/14/2022 at 4:40 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

LOL....right, everyone always says "I wish I didn't have more ammo".  24 rounds is enough to do a hoser classifier without a reload and to run three arrays of four targets before reloading.  If that slide lock reload (disabling the slide lock is dumb) is done under cover of movement it costs zero extra time, and can turn a large field course from a two reload stage to a one reload stage.  More ammo is more options.

you're not wrong, but good shooters don't seem to push it that close, and are always willing to throw in a reload rather than take even a tiny chance on running dry. I suspect they practice their reloads too, so most of the time they cost zero time and allow you to shoot more aggressively without worry.

my stock cz mags (probably made by mecgar) and tti extensions hold 22+1 all the time, and 23 if I get lucky or load them just right. I tend not to try to get 23. I saw an awful lot of guns jam up on the first round at nationals because people forced the extra round in (for a 12-round stage with penalties for shooting a 13th round!).

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

you're not wrong, but good shooters don't seem to push it that close, and are always willing to throw in a reload rather than take even a tiny chance on running dry.

That new 24 round hoser classifier (I forget the name) every good local shooter around here who can stick 24 rounds in a CO pistol does it and runs the stage without a reload even though there are two movements where one could be done.

More ammo opens choices that are closed to whose with less.

13 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

That new 24 round hoser classifier (I forget the name) every good local shooter around here who can stick 24 rounds in a CO pistol does it and runs the stage without a reload even though there are two movements where one could be done.

More ammo opens choices that are closed to whose with less.

Trigger Freeze I think it's called. was my first stage at SS nats last year. Sure, that's a pretty extreme example where the HF is so high that even making up a delta is probably not worth it, but if your good local shooters don't suck at reloads, I think they'd shoot the same time if they reloaded. I know that if I have to move more than about 2 steps, it takes me no more time to reload than not to. Sure, more rounds is better, all other things being equal, but 1 fewer round is not really an issue except in the most contrived and extreme situation.

Better reloads opens choices that are closed to those who suck at reloads.  ;)