Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best 2011 Handgun running today

M-Wtactical

4 minutes ago, scroadkill said:

well.. seems like mags and ammo cause most of my problems. you really cant blame the gun unless you acknowledge how picky they can be about mags and ammo.  and it took me years to sort out what works and what doesn't. reliable isn't a word I would use when talking about 2011.

I completely disagree to be honest. They shouldn’t be that picky about either. I cut all my own feed ramp dimensions, chamber and throat. My guns flat out feed. If you know how to build it correctly They are incredibly reliable. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, MHicks said:

I was mainly referencing the amount of time you said it takes you to make your gun 100% reliable from day one. If you set up to do it commercially you'd probably do things differently.  It's the same with my building on my property with hand tools. Takes more time then I could charge people.

You are absolutely right.  If I had access to the machinery I used as a tool & die maker it would be a different story.

Edited by zzt

The reason 2011 builders can charge what they charge for guns is mostly demand in my opinion.  I do not know of any 2011 builder/company that has a decent to good reputation that does not have a wait list for their wares.  Atlas claimed when they started they wanted to sell their 2011s for $3,500 to $4,000 if my memory serves me correct.  That quickly changed as the demand for their product went up.  As long as they have any company has wait list they can continue to charge what they want.  It has less to do with the cost of parts/labor.  

23 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

The reason 2011 builders can charge what they charge for guns is mostly demand in my opinion.  I do not know of any 2011 builder/company that has a decent to good reputation that does not have a wait list for their wares.  Atlas claimed when they started they wanted to sell their 2011s for $3,500 to $4,000 if my memory serves me correct.  That quickly changed as the demand for their product went up.  As long as they have any company has wait list they can continue to charge what they want.  It has less to do with the cost of parts/labor.  

With a few small changes this new Springfield can be made into a gun at the same level as top guns.

12 minutes ago, yigal said:

With a few small changes this new Springfield can be made into a gun at the same level as top guns.

I do not agree with this.  It will not be the same fit and finish nor should it be at that price point.  From the reviews of people on the YouTubes have also indicated this.

I do think if someone that knows what they are doing could probably get the Springfield to operate great and do and be more than they would ever need.  It will not be on the level of the Atlas, Infinities of the world. 

If the Springfield does prove to be a long term option as a 2011 platform, it could put stress on the market, and/or lead to more intermediate priced viable 2011s coming to market, where I think the end user benefits the most.

I am not a Springfield fan by any stretch of the imagination,  but the Prodigy has peaked my interest.  After shooting my Atlas, I cannot see it replacing it or lead me to buying one, but I will wait to make a definitive judgement.  I am more interested in the Master Piece Arms 2011 platform they call a Double Stack 1911 for copyright reasons, after bringing a new gun smith in house which seems to be making strides in making a more reliable platform.  I think $3,000 is a very reasonable price for a great running 2011.  If that guns ends up running as well as their YouTube barrage claims it to be.  I could see the Master Piece Arms gun being a better back up than the Prodigy from the little research I have done. 

But we all have our own opinions.

Edited by Boomstick303

49 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I do not agree with this.  It will not be the same fit and finish nor should it be at that price point.  From the reviews of people on the YouTubes have also indicated this.

I do think if someone that knows what they are doing could probably get the Springfield to operate great and do and be more than they would ever need.  It will not be on the level of the Atlas, Infinities of the world. 

If the Springfield does prove to be a long term option as a 2011 platform, it could put stress on the market, and/or lead to more intermediate priced viable 2011s coming to market, where I think the end user benefits the most.

I am not a Springfield fan by any stretch of the imagination,  but the Prodigy has peaked my interest.  After shooting my Atlas, I cannot see it replacing it or lead me to buying one, but I will wait to make a definitive judgement.  I am more interested in the Master Piece Arms 2011 platform they call a Double Stack 1911 for copyright reasons, after bringing a new gun smith in house which seems to be making strides in making a more reliable platform.  I think $3,000 is a very reasonable price for a great running 2011.  If that guns ends up running as well as their YouTube barrage claims it to be.  I could see the Master Piece Arms gun being a better back up than the Prodigy from the little research I have done. 

But we all have our own opinions.

You are right about the fit and finish between slide and frame. It won't be the same level as top guns but for shooting without problems it's not a problem.

9 minutes ago, yigal said:

If you replace all his parts with parts from Atlas and Brazos then he will have a chance😀

Not a chance. By that logic I can take a Springfield 1911 and change the parts and it will be as good as one of Reid’s pistols. Nope. Not even close. 

19 minutes ago, yigal said:

Maybe.
For me it's just steel😉

Well, for me it’s a lot more than just steel. It’s many years of always improving my craft. Countless hours of doing what the others don’t. It’s catering to a customer base that knows the difference. 😉

Edited by donnyglock

15 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

Well, for me it’s a lot more than just steel. It’s many years of always improving my craft. Countless hours of doing what the others don’t. It’s catering to a customer base that knows the difference. 😉

I also really appreciate good work and quality metal. But unfortunately most people don't. Because what interests them is something cheap, that works well.👍

I like to collect 2011s, personally the Staccato is great for its price point and Atlas should be the peak of the most expensive if you want to go that direction, surprisingly the TR-11 from Triarc is very good too at a $3200 price point but lead times are 2 years apparently. 

1 hour ago, mule169 said:

I like to collect 2011s, personally the Staccato is great for its price point and Atlas should be the peak of the most expensive if you want to go that direction, surprisingly the TR-11 from Triarc is very good too at a $3200 price point but lead times are 2 years apparently. 

Those are all very Timmy options. 

Triarc is a poor choice for competition, as is Staccato unless you want to only shoot Steel Challenge or 2/3-gun.  Atlas is fine, but there are cheaper options with better lead times and availability.

2 minutes ago, davsco said:

such as...

I will say that I'm primarily thinking of their Open gun, which it seems like they opened their books for like 10 orders.  But all the usual suspects in terms of custom shops: D2, Carne, Venom, Brazos, etc.

Or the good ol' "Buy something off of the Classifieds here" option.

Edited by attakmint

• 2 weeks later...

This entire thread has me rolling in laughter. 

I'll take a 2011 or 1911 from @donnyglock or D2 Customs over any other "builder" mentioned in this entire thread. Most of the builders are all talk and no 100% working gun after the next 100% working gun. You just don't see people complaining about either of their guns. 

As for being able to put out a solid open gun that works 100% we will soon find out how that endeavor works out as MPA is right at the $4500.00 mark. I'll be really interested to see how their guns hold up. 

• 2 weeks later...

How does everyone feel about long stroking limited guns? Does this require cutting the dust cover, reverse plug, and the frame rails? Thank you in advance for any information pointing me in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Gunsbygiz said:

How does everyone feel about long stroking limited guns? Does this require cutting the dust cover, reverse plug, and the frame rails? Thank you in advance for any information pointing me in the right direction.

Watch the Atlas Gun Works video on the subject (youtube).  He does not recommend stroking Limited guns.