Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my Major nine 17L in a match yesterday

Guest Dick W Holliday

Guest Dick W Holliday

The powers that be in a local IPSC match let me shoot my 17L in Limited class Major caliber at their Saturday match.....I can't afford another game gun right this minute (you know the one-a high cap 40) so the major nine seems right for me....it is my understanding that right now the major nine is for Open only???? I guess the Big companies that are making the high cap limited 40 guns must have had something to do with that.....Anyway my load of 8.0 grains of 540 makes major in my 17L with a 124 gr FMJ....my fired 9mm brass brass looks just like any Glock Brass you've ever seen (it actually looks better than most 40 Glock brass i've seen) no smile in the ramp area....the primers look good (Federal Small Rifle) no flatening.  All i need to do now is to make the gun heavier.....Dick

It isn't too bad, I tried it with my SV40 and a 185 grn bullet (about a 250 PF,) but then again I had read the load for a 45 NOT 40. Never reload when you are tired or in a hurry.

If 38 super makes major in open, why not in limited? I haven't heard the reason for that and alwayed figure it was because it would make the .40's obsolete, although in reality the 1-2 more rounds in the .38 wouldn't be much of an advantage. You could always impose a magazine capacity restriction, say 21 in limited. It is a shame not to be able to shoot a 38 super SS (lot out there) major in L10.

Guest Dick W Holliday

recoil wasn't as bad as i expected....also it seems like the more i shoot it the less i notice it.....the only problem i had during the match was some sort of jam but i cleared it while running down a hallway and didn't have time to figure what had happenedb but i figured it must have had something to do with the 20 pound spring i was running....i had noticed while doing my chrono work that it would not lock back after the last shot so today i went to the range with my wire clippers and cut about 2 coils off and now it locks back fine......Dick

Thread Drift Mode On:  What would be the purpose of Major 9 in Limited anyway?  As it stands now, there really is a big difference between Open and Limited when it comes to recoil, mag capacity, the list goes on.  Open and Limited are really now (not that its new) different games.  That is the purpose of having Divisions and Equipment Rules, so that you really create 5 different challenges based on equipment.  I like Limited the way it is.  Besides, I have an interchangable breechface in my SV, no biggie to switch calibers for me.

Dick Holliday:  Why didn't you shoot Production anyway?  I don' t care what the locals allowed you to do, 9mm is not a legal  Major caliber in Limited, period.  Why don't you get an Optima or Doctor mounted to your slide, you'd play well in Open there.  Or even get a frame mounted red dot.  

Just my $.02

Guest Dick W Holliday

The equipment race is alive and well in the limited category.....i'm just trying to compete with what i have.....and i've lost count of how many bullets you guys have in your 1911 high tech 40's....just trying to keep up.......just my 2 cents worth.....Dick

The purpose of 9mm major in limited would be to give those who want to shoot standard capacity magazines in Glock 17's, Beretta 92's, Browning High Powers, and all the other great guns chambered in 9x19 a division in which they could be competitive.  L10 isn't it.  Production isn't it.  Where do they go?  Just MHO.

-ld

Thread Drift Mode Still On

jhgtyre - all of those guns are production guns, so what if they can't be loaded to 15,17 or 19 rounds, why put the burden on those folks new to the sport since the 94 who don't want to parlay the $$$ to buy hi-caps, you make all of those guns even by placing a loaded rounds restriction on them, then they're even (as far as round count is concerened)

If you want to shoot 9mm in Limited, fine, you'll shoot at Minor scoring.  Get your A's, or shoot Production, or Open.  You don't show up to a resturant, order Filet Mignon, and expect to pay Serloin price when the menu clearly shows a price difference between the two? (please don't infer anything by that, it is not a stab saying that limited rods are better and production, they are different, and so for a reason)

Moderator - think about moving this to the Limited forum, personal apoligies for the drift.

Dick,

Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot what you have.  Just gotta follow the rules so that everybody gets the same chance.

Your G17L would be at home in Open shooting Major, or in Limited shooting minor.  (It's too long for Production.)  

I shot the Mid-Atlantic and Area 8 Racegun match in limited division in 2002.  Both times I picked a G34 in 9mm at minor over a G21 in .45 at major because most of the stages were high round count hoser stages and the 9 holds 24 rounds to the .45s 16 rounds.  (Yeah, I know I could up that to 18 with Grams pads...)

You want to shoot a 9mm you own in Limited division? Fine by me as long as you declare minor power factor.  Want to make major? Gotta bring a .40 or above or work to change the rules.....

BigDave,

Standard cap mags can be had for the Beretta and Browning for reasonable prices and it has been 9 years since the ban.  The Glock, well, that is another thing altogether as those mags seemed to get high priced right after the ban.  

My real gripe is that a caliber can make major in one division and not another.  That is faulty logic.  It is either capable of making the pf or it is not.  I don't own any "wonder nines" so I have no personal stake in the matter I just hate it when I see such a glaring inequity.

-ld

It has nothing to do with making or not making the PF it is all about the caliber. The rule has been .40 minimum for years. If you change it now you piss off a bunch of limited shooters. Look at the fiasco with the revolver change a couple years ago. You change the rule and everybody will end up buying a new gun or rebuilding. Why screw over the guys that are already here? Let the new guy build a .40. There will be less of a financial impact that way. There is already a division for their guns so why not shoot in production. We have enough people leaveing the sport as is why piss off a bunch more?

I don't think not allowing 9mm Major in Limited has anything to do with "pissing people off" at all.  Like I said before, with a larger bullet to make Major, you make the division unique.  You get into different recoil control, loaded rounds available, all sorts of things.  I don't think the BOD is excluding 9mm in limited to make all of us limited 40 owners happy, I think it just makes sense.  By having 40 as the min. calibre to make major in limited, it seperates that division from all others.

Its kinda like saying "I'm shooting Production today with Major PF ammo, so I wan't major scoring, not minor just because this is what I've got"  

The rules are there for a purpose, to make divisions unique, not to keep certain people happy or piss others off.  What do you think Winchester and Starline think of the 9mm Major ban lift in regards to their wonder 9 business?  I don't really think that factored into the decision.

Guest Dick W Holliday

okay..okay..okay here's what i'm gonna do.....i'm gonna put a bunch of weight on my 17L and shoot limited minor (not that it's up to me anyway) and play with what i've got......i think my problem is that when i go to a match it is my intention to outshoot everybody there regardless of class (be it open  or limited or whatever

)......like the other day i won the open class at a 3gun but in my mind i really lost because a limited class dude won the match ( i shot so sorry that i was surprized that i even won open).....i don't know how most score sheets come out at your matches but for instance last weeks IPSC match had two sheets....one for open and one for limited (which included all the different types of limited classes) and even with my unfair advantage of shooting my major illegal nine i was still thirteenth...... (must be my lucky number).....anyway--good shooting everybody.......Don't forget to take a kid shooting......Dick

Dick - great attitude, seriously.  I think if we all tried to shoot with that kind of mindset we'd all be better shooters.  Personally, I'd like to take over the shooting world with my limited gun.  Which reminds me, I need to practice!!!  

Best of luck to you.

Equipment war. Sigh. Do you think that would be a new thing, that would be caused by going to 9mm major in Limited?

What do you think we've been having for the last several years, when .45 was "forced" out by .40 in Limited? Many a single stack, or Para .45 shooter are still pissed off about having to buy new guns to be competitive with the hicap .40s.

What about guys who already own great single stack .38 Supers or 9mm, that would love to shoot Lim-10 with them? (I do, but declare minor).

As long as we play this game there is always going to "equipment wars", whether its the gun, holster, powder, eye glasses, or whatever.

The point is, spend what you can afford, pick a division that you are comfrotable  with, and run what ya brung. Anything else is just whining. You don't HAVE to shoot Limited major. But DO shoot something.  :)