Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets hit a barrel vision barrier then hit target, how to score?

midvalleyshooter

This happened twice today at a match.

On the first occasion the timer operator said he saw the bullet go through the barrel and it left a some what elongated hole. It was scored a miss as the barrel is "impenetrable."

On the second occasion the timer operator said he saw the bullet "glance" off the barrel and leave a slightly enlarged hole in the target. This was scored as a hit as it edged the barrel.

My question is the validity of judging if a bullet passes thru a barrel or glances off of it. There are multiple hits on the barrel as they have been thru many matches. Do we rely on the RO judgement here or is there another path to take?

I just want to know to know so future calls are made correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Barrels need to be maintained.

Without hits being painted on the barrels… it’s impossible to discern a full diameter hit through the barrel or a glancing blow. 

I don’t care what the RO thought he saw… show me my full diameter hit if you wanna score a mike. 

well the ruling was right the execution was wrong.. BAd stage setup.. Really no way to tell if it was an edge hit or full diameter on a barrel full of holes. Simple solution is to hang a no shoot on it

25 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

well the ruling was right the execution was wrong.. BAd stage setup.. Really no way to tell if it was an edge hit or full diameter on a barrel full of holes. Simple solution is to hang a no shoot on it

Disagree. Adding a penalty opportunity is unnecessary. 

The “correct” thing to do is to hardcover the side of the target nearest the barrel. 

Any major I was a CRO at, barrels were painted and inspected regularly.  You could easily see a glance or a penetration.

Simple preparation prevents arguments or issues regarding if it penetrated or glanced off.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Dirty_J said:

Disagree. Adding a penalty opportunity is unnecessary. 

The “correct” thing to do is to hardcover the side of the target nearest the barrel. 

which would give someone a miss penalty.. 
using no shoots is pretty common when MD's dont want their props shot up, but yeh could do it your way. Lots of ways to make a stage easy to score

On 9/4/2022 at 9:04 PM, vluc said:

Any major I was a CRO at, barrels were painted and inspected regularly.  You could easily see a glance or a penetration.

Simple preparation prevents arguments or issues regarding if it penetrated or glanced off.

That shouldn’t be “at a major”. It should be at every match. You can’t have competitive equity without it. 

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

which would give someone a miss penalty.. 
using no shoots is pretty common when MD's dont want their props shot up, but yeh could do it your way. Lots of ways to make a stage easy to score

You can get a miss penalty on any target. NS's are different.

Putting hard cover behind the barrel that should be hard cover means you haven't increased the risk of the target or changed the stage really at all. Slapping NS's all over the place is lazy stage design. 

• 3 weeks later...

Slapping a no shoot target next to a barrel that is not being painted is a bad idea. Now applying penalties for the no shoot target can not be applied correctly. At a local match if the club is not painting the barrels then hard cover on the side of the target nearest the barrel helps keeping the scoring calls more accurate.

If it is a level two match all of the barrels next to targets must be painted or the match is going to be in for big problems.