Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 .45 or ?

mikeb9550

I have been in the hobby for only a month and I am already looking for my next gun. I bought an inexpensive Hi Point 9mm because I wanted to make sure I really liked it before I put in too much cash. I should of rented but didnt know they did that. The High point Jams a lot (90 degrees). The company said if I send it in they will fix it and send it back along with a free mag. Im sure they will but I still am looking for a second gun that I might carry if I decide to get a CCW. I was looking at a .40 or .45 (more toward the .45). Any suggestions on pros or cons of each. I was thinking of a Glock because I heard so many good things and they look cool. I plan on getting into reloading so ammo price isnt really a huge concern. I really like the G23. I also want to get into some shooting contest someday. Is their such thing as a dual purpose gun or do I need one of each. I might have a hard time convincing my wife of the second.

Glocks work good, but I would stay away from the 23 is you want to compete with it for two reasons. You will have to load hotter ammo for the shorter barrel, and you have a shorter sight radius (harder to hit the long shots) If you go with a Glock and want to shoot production, go with the 9mm, if you want to shoot Limited go 40. If you want to shoot L10, a Kimber .45 single stack is an affordable way to go. If you think you are hooked and want to eventually go limited or open, I would start with a 1911 .45 in L10 for many reasons, the 2 biggest is your natural point of aim won't have to change if you go to a SVI/STI and the control and trigger/sights will be the pretty much the same. If you have cash and want to go full bore talk to Dave Dawson, he seems to have good prices and a good rep.

Good luck and DVC!

(Edited by Loves2Shoot at 7:42 pm on Jan. 14, 2003)

If you are going to reload, I'd go for the 40 Glock (G22 or G35).

If you won't be reloading a bunch (it does take some work to get setup and running), I'd get the G17 (9mm).  Lots of cheaper 9mm factory ammo out there (Walmart val-u-pak, Blazer).

It depends on what you want to spend and how much you like shooting. Like you say, you've only been shooting for a month. I wouldn't go all out and buy a 1911. It's cool if you have the money, but if you don't want to shoot anymore after a couple of months, it's money you could have spent on better things. Glock is a nice choice, but like Flex said, it's going to take some time to get set up for reloading (if you go the 40/45 way). You could buy a Glock 17 or 34. That way you can shoot competition (USPSA production with both 17 and 34 or IPSC if you choose the 17). Plus you could carry the 17.

If you go down the 40/45 road, take the 40.

Mike,

What do you like to shoot Ipsc/USPSA (which division), GSSF, bullseye, etc?  Then find out what will work for the competition and rules.  Ask some shooters around you what they have tried and like.  There's also a plethora of help here.

Many of the glocks could be dual purpose (personal defense and competition) 17, 19, 22, 23.  They are accurate enough, reliable, easy to clean and have a ton of goodies to add on.  The longer slides tend to be used for comp. only.

That being said....I have a 34 and 35 and love them both.  The longer barrel really tames muzzle flip and helps bump up the velocity on the 35 to make major.

Im still learning about each shooting class. I also have to see if there are any matches close to me ( I am pretty sure their is). Sounds like either the 9mm or .40. I really wanted to get a different cal because even though Its a  cheaper one, I already have a 9mm. What are the disadvantages of the .45. I have heard that reloading is better or safer on the .45. That could just be others opinion. Isnt the G17 a bit big to carry? It just looks pretty big. I will have to go and give them all another look. Thanks again everyone

.45's generate less pressure than a .40 (that is why some say safer generally), but the .40 holds more rounds in the same size pre-ban magazine. If you are going to shooted limited, this is a factor to be considered. If you are going to shoot L10 this is not a factor if you want a Glock. If you are going to shoot production, the targets are all scored as minor, so unless you are just shooting for fun, you will need to either download your .40/.45, or shoot 9mm to be competitive. A lot of this will be determined by your desire (or lack of) to be competetive and the class in which you want to compete.

Mike,

It does sound like a used G17 would be the ticket for you...for now.

You should be able to find one, with a couple of ten round mags, for $400.  

Walmart sell Winchester 100 round val-u-pak ammo for about $11.  A lot of shooters don't even bother reloading 9mm becaise the val-u-paks are so cheap.

Try the G17 out in Production Division.  Everybody in Production shoots Minor power factor, so the 9mm won't be a disadvantage there.  Holsters and mags are cheaper there too.  No need for expensive race gear.