Jump to content

Proposal for new Range in South Dakota


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Delta has connections from MSP right into RAP, so everyone on the East Coast has a pretty easy shot. The downside is there's no flight from ATL directly to RAP so everyone in the South East who wants to fly Delta has to go local airport -> ATL -> MSP -> RAP. Yuck.

 

American routes local airport -> DFW -> RAP, and United does local airport -> DEN -> RAP

 

So, not bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As part of the stake-holders committee it's a very exciting project to be a part of. 

It's going to be a stage Game Fish & Parks range and they are VERY accommodating toward us and our needs on the competition side of things. One thing they want and expect out of us is to help bring in large matches and people to the area. Governor Noem is also behind the project as well which doesn't hurt either.

 

They are really wanting it to be a top-notch facility and it's been a few years in the planning so far. Like Britton posted, the land has been purchased, the engineers have drawn up really nice plans, the impact study has been finalized and is good to go. We are currently working on a section line relocation with the county that will be going in for round 2 next month. After that is completed it will be going out for bid with a projected start date of January. 

 

There's still a bit of fundraising needing to be done but a lot of that will begin falling into place when the range is at least operational in some way shape or form so fundraising will all be considered for "Range Improvement" instead of range construction. 

 

Anyways, it's really coming together with a great group of guys heading up the project at GF&P and our local USPSA club are REALLY excited to begin holding our club matches there and eventually begin hosting larger events as well.

 

If any of you guys have any suggestions or have any leads on fundraising that worked for you guys we are all ears, especially our small local club fundraising. We are going to be needing to fundraise for a building, trailer(s) and something to pull said trailer with. A long with all the extra stuff to move from holding 4-5 stage monthly matches on a range with 2 bays to all the props and things to hold proper 6 stage matches spread across 6 bays.

 


--Bruce Schmidt

President of Prairie Thunder Gun Club

GP17

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a Nationals it would need to have around 20-24 bays, a World Shoot would need 32 (30 for the competition, one for function fire and one for chrono).

 

It's possible to double up two small stages on one berm but it usually causes a backlog.

 

Do you know if GF&P have reached out to Ellsworth AFB ?

 

I'm wondering if they may be interested in occasional use of the facility for training their security teams, and if so a potential source of additional funding. FYI, they are helping to fund the new gym at Box Elder to replace their current facilities in the Pride Hangar which they need for the new B2-1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

For a Nationals it would need to have around 20-24 bays, a World Shoot would need 32 (30 for the competition, one for function fire and one for chrono).

 

It's possible to double up two small stages on one berm but it usually causes a backlog.

 

Do you know if GF&P have reached out to Ellsworth AFB ?

 

I'm wondering if they may be interested in occasional use of the facility for training their security teams, and if so a potential source of additional funding. FYI, they are helping to fund the new gym at Box Elder to replace their current facilities in the Pride Hangar which they need for the new B2-1.

 

GFP has reached out to EAFB and they are choosing not to do anything at this time. I'm sure after construction has started or completed they'll be more inclined to pay for usage of the place. We do have a number of local law enforcement groups committed to the range though, thus the versitile training bay in the drawings.

The drawings have changed a little bit but not a ton, when we get new ones back prior to the bid process I'll be happy to share with you guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The world shoot would be an interesting proposition and this area of the country would be a fantastic place for it with all the tourism. 32 bays isn't that huge of a stretch really if you look at possibly using the public bays as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, T3P_Guy said:

The world shoot would be an interesting proposition and this area of the country would be a fantastic place for it with all the tourism. 32 bays isn't that huge of a stretch really if you look at possibly using the public bays as well.

Also look at reaching out to USPSA for hosting the Steel Challenge Worlds match. They use at least 16 bays, though it would be cool to have 24 so that they can have two 8 stage matches and an extra 8 for the practice bays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, JM_ said:

Also look at reaching out to USPSA for hosting the Steel Challenge Worlds match. They use at least 16 bays, though it would be cool to have 24 so that they can have two 8 stage matches and an extra 8 for the practice bays.

I don't see USPSA wanting to put on 2 WSSC's at the same time.  But it could be possible... That being said, a WSSC in SD would be great.  Just need 8 bays for competition (2 of them large enough for Speed Option and Outer Limits), practice bays and a place for vendors.  Although not sure what the weather is like in April/May.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I don't see USPSA wanting to put on 2 WSSC's at the same time.  But it could be possible... That being said, a WSSC in SD would be great.  Just need 8 bays for competition (2 of them large enough for Speed Option and Outer Limits), practice bays and a place for vendors.  Although not sure what the weather is like in April/May.  

It makes no sense for worlds to be held in April/May as it sits anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can’t fly there direct on a major carrier from their domestic hubs… it’s a bust IMO for Nationals or a World shoot.

 

Aside from the magazine shenanigans… it was the other huge drawback for Cameo.  
 

But good luck to ya! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...