Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic cut question

1911vm

I kinda went through something similar. I don't 100% trust the dot yet and wanted to have a BUIS. I don't believe czc plate cut is forward enough to preserve the rear sight dovetail. There are a select few companies that can mill it, but then you lose the plate.

There are a couple of options.

Some RDS have a rear iron sight built in, the holosun 507k and the 407k have this for example. Take a look at the picture, you'll get the idea. When my holosun had an issue I finished a stage or two of steel with the built in BUIS, shot a bit low, but close enough.

There are some options to add a BUIS to the RDS. For the RMR, and I believe the RMRcc you can add a IDRS sight that is added to the RMR.

https://chpws.com/product/pmm-independent-drop-in-rear-sight-idrs-for-trijicon-rmr/

I've tried both of the options above, and currently am using the ISRS, the front sight is admittedly pretty tall in this setup, but works fine.

Edited by ultimase

13 hours ago, 1911vm said:

this will be my first optic on a hand gun.

I have found that removing the irons works well for most people as they are forced to use the dot and dont try to use the irons as training wheels.

4 minutes ago, Foxj66 said:

I have found that removing the irons works well for most people as they are forced to use the dot and dont try to use the irons as training wheels.

Not to mention it makes the view way too busy especially if your have any sort of hi-vis iron sights.

27 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Once you join the dark side of dot shooting, you too will realize "back up" irons are pointless.  

Enjoy!

As a new convert to the "dot" I totally agree with @HesedTech!

And for my transition, not having BUIS makes it much easier to remain "target focused" vs allowing my eyes to focus on the dot or front sight........

I will be honest I am defiantly  not on the dark side yet. I am still Just as fast and  accurate with irons  than most of the dot guys around me. it could be because the suck LOL.

I am just wondering if I get better. What scares me  is if I really like it this will be a very expensive problem.  The same as when I got my first LPVO  I am at 4 now looking for a fifth one  LOL

Edited by 1911vm

On 9/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, 1911vm said:

What scares me  is if I really like it this will be a very expensive problem. 

The answer is always in how one perceives things. For instance, an open gun can cost close to $10K plus all those model expensive mags and stuff. Even a custom Limited gun is $6K+, so with this in mind CO is really affordable.  The only problem with CO compared to Production is the competition is by far at a higher level. Just check at Max Michel, he even smashes open shooters.

48 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

The answer is always in how one perceives things. For instance, an open gun can cost close to $10K plus all those model expensive mags and stuff. Even a custom Limited gun is $6K+, so with this in mind CO is really affordable.  The only problem with CO compared to Production is the competition is by far at a higher level. Just check at Max Michel, he even smashes open shooters.

Definitely no open guns forme . Went to Bianchi cup now 10k is a normal setup for them LOLOLOL. 

Just going to send the slide out and toCZC and see what happens. 

37 minutes ago, Tunachaser said:

With my first dot I bought a second complete slide so I could go back easily...3 years and still haven't put the original slide back on....it's only money...LOL

That is exactly what I did LMAO 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:19 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I don't bother with backup sights with even my carry guns, let alone my uspsa pistols.

Same. Having a carry 2011 commander built this winter and it won't even have dovetails for iron sights. Red dot, single port comp and done.