Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 open gun. Thoughts.

Fearless4x4

Been wanting to play with an open gun, but don't have the scratch to throw at a 2011 right now.  So I've been piecing together this concoction for a little bit.  Still waiting on the barrel and comp.

I know I'm not going to storm in and burn down nationals, and that isn't necessarily my goal. But I like tinkering, and this keeps me occupied for awhile.  

20220830_152108.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

Be interesting on how it handles the pressures and major loading,  or are you thinking open minor ?

Probably mostly minor.  A few points here and there at local matches isn't worth it to me.  I might try some hotter ammo and see how it handles.  I'll tinker with that too and see where it settles best.

One of my buddies uses his p320 with 3 port comp for open major and has not had any issues with over a season of routine local matches on it. He uses 147gr though I believe to make major with less pressure. 

23 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

One of my buddies uses his p320 with 3 port comp for open major and has not had any issues with over a season of routine local matches on it. He uses 147gr though I believe to make major with less pressure. 

Do you happen to know which comp he's using?

I have the Armorycraft 6in bull barrel and their compensator, just playing at the moment still trying to decide on full length slide and barel or the compact slide and barrel set up. Will only be shooting minor at this point.

Edited by terrydoc

I'm definitely going with the barsto threaded barrel.  But I'm torn between the Springer 3 port comp, or an SJC 5 port.  Springer will be much more install friendly, while SJC will require a ton of rework.  And if I'm staying minor anyway, not sure the 5 port will do me much good.

Edited by Fearless4x4

7 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

How is that optic mount attached? Did you screw into the polymer or is there something else in there?

Thermal threaded inserts pressed into the polymer.  I forgot to take "in process" pics.  But I can take some when I get home tonight.

Edited by Fearless4x4

13 hours ago, terrydoc said:

I have the Armorycraft 6in bull barrel and their compensator, just playing at the moment still trying to decide on full length slide and barel or the compact slide and barrel set up. Will only be shooting minor at this point.

I'd definitely go with the full length slide so you can use 1911 springs. There are very few options to change springs on the compact slide.

7 hours ago, Fearless4x4 said:

Thermal threaded inserts pressed into the polymer.  I forgot to take "in process" pics.  But I can take some when I get home tonight.

Hard to believe that will hold up with anything close to major PF. The frame will wobble like jello on high speed footage.  

3 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Hard to believe that will hold up with anything close to major PF. The frame will wobble like jello on high speed footage.  

Will be mostly minor through it.  But I do want to see how major handles in it.

Edited by Fearless4x4

11 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

I'd definitely go with the full length slide so you can use 1911 springs. There are very few options to change springs on the compact slide.

Armory craft actually have a Compact tuning kit with 11lb through to 18lb springs on their website.

Saw a 320 open gun this weekend at a match. I couldn’t get a lot of info on it but it sure looked good. He placed well too, so my assumption is it ran well. Not sure if he was shooting maj/min though. 

kind of sidebar question, is there a reason you went with a TXG frame and not a AXG? I only ask because I have my drill press set up and really want to do one myself 

9 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

Saw a 320 open gun this weekend at a match. I couldn’t get a lot of info on it but it sure looked good. He placed well too, so my assumption is it ran well. Not sure if he was shooting maj/min though. 

kind of sidebar question, is there a reason you went with a TXG frame and not a AXG? I only ask because I have my drill press set up and really want to do one myself 

Because I already had a TXG frame is the biggest reason.  Second is the txg frame is heavier than the aluminum axg frame.

Ran a few hundred rounds of my normal CO load through it today.  We did different drills so I can't compare apples to apples regarding any benchmark times I had in the CO setup. But sight recovery and tracking seemed better.  Nothing shook loose or broke thatvi can see.  Now I just gotta stack the pennies to get the barrel and comp on its way.

54 minutes ago, Fearless4x4 said:

Because I already had a TXG frame is the biggest reason.  Second is the txg frame is heavier than the aluminum axg frame.

I gotcha. I only ask because I was torn personally. The weight is a big player but I thought it would be easier for me to drill/tap the aluminum frame. 

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I gotcha. I only ask because I was torn personally. The weight is a big player but I thought it would be easier for me to drill/tap the aluminum frame. 

These thermal inserts were extremely easy to install.  I am by no means a machinist, but I used a micrometer to scribe a line parallel with the top of the frame.  Then used the mount as a guide for the spacing. Center punched, and drilled them by hand, then pressed them in with a soldering iron.

They're mostly used in 3D printing to reinforce threads.  Look up a few YouTube videos to see the process.  Biggest thing was I couldn't find 5-40 inserts that match what most 2011 mounts are secured with.  So I jumped to 6-32 and had to drill out the mount to clear the bigger screw.  Screw heads still fit flush on the mount.

a long time ago I tried to turn a glock into an open gun and even tried to get 1.150 OAL 9 major loads running through the gun. (inspired by KC Eusebio when he went to glock). I should have just gone to a 2011 platform for open. It was bigger headache for me than I anticipated. if you still want to keep the P230, recommend getting it set up for CO/poor man's open. 

5 hours ago, Kwontanamo said:

I should have just gone to a 2011 platform for open.

I don’t think you’re wrong for feeling this way. I have an older 2011 and want to get back into shooting it. Also want a newer one. With all that being said, I think a few people (myself included) want to tinker and see if we can do it. Hopefully the juice is worth the squeeze lol.