Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB shellplate not fully indexing

Lately my SDB shellplate isn't fully indexing when I operate the handle.  I'm using a 9mm die set.  What happens is that the shellplate rotates, but not enough to clear the primer cup.  Maybe just a hair, like maybe the width of the primer cup, short of where it should be.  If I force it, the primer cup pops up with an audible "ping" and launches the primer or sometimes just flips it over. So now I need to give it a little push to get the shellplate into position so the primer station works as it's supposed to. 

Any idea what's going on here?

Edited by ChuckS1
Spelling, as usual...

I have that same set-up.  Recently I tore mine down for cleaning/lube.  If you haven't, I'd suggest you try that first.  It isn't difficult, and you might find some "crud" in there keeping the mechanism from advancing fully.  Primer residue may be a culprit, or granules of powder.  I deprime and wet clean my brass before it goes through my machine, but if you don't that may be what's causing the problem.  Anyway, that's just my best guess.  Good luck, and let us know what you find out, ok?  By the way, I've had my SDB since the mid-'90's and it's still going strong.  Dillon has been great about keeping it running on the few occasions it needed something.