Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best bullet weight for coated 9mm competition

Haalck

What are peoples opinions on the best 9mm bullet weight for competition (IDPA) using coated bullets(125 pf) I understand that 125,s cycle faster and 147 have less felt recoil. Are 135,s a happy medium? 

whatever is on sale. Usually you can get more 124's in a case. So come out cheaper. 147's will give you an edge on marginal steel hits.  But not enough difference in them to really amount to squat on the score sheet.

147s have more recoil than 115s and 124s.  They Feel softer because the recoil pulse is longer.  I don't shoot IDPA, but I'm pretty sure double taps are involved.  If that is the case, I'd want whatever bullet weight got the sights back on target faster.  Generally, that is 115s.  124/5s are a very close second, and do drop steel better.  So I'd stick with 115 or 124.

FWIW, I shoot 124 minor loads in my Open gun for SCSA.  It seems to track better than when using a 115.  I shoot 115 factory (1145fps) for outlaw steel, plates and pins, etc.  I shoot 115 JHPs for 9mm major, and 115s in my PCC.

I agree with the 135 Bear Creeks.  They actually weigh 140 on my scale.  Coating and price is very good.  If you aren't running a comped gun the heavier bullets shoot softer with power factor being equal.