Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative to US primers

Haalck

Don't kid yourself if you think you get non-US made primers cheaper. Everyone sells primers now at highest price, filling their pockets, independent where the primers are coming from. And, you will see high prices for a long, long time - we have to get used to it.

Now to answer your question, Fiocchi primers are great primers, I've shot 15k. Have no experience with Ginsex but I have friends who use them, overall tbey work fine as long as you don't have any fancy trigger system in any type of striker fire pistol. Servicios are harder then normal primers and a little harder to load based on my experience. I did get a light primer strike on a recent batch of 300 rounds I shot, that was on a 2011 pistol. 

23 minutes ago, Haalck said:

does anyone have experience with Ginex,

Yep, so far about 25K of Ginex SPP. For some reason the brass plated ones seem to be a bit bigger in diameter than the nickel ones. I use also use them, SRP not SPP, in 223/5.56.

Other than being slightly tighter fit they all go boom and I have had zero failures. 

Basically load what you can get.

Fiocchi primers are excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. Ginex primers have shot well for me and always pop, but they are very hard to seat in mixed 9mm brass. I sometimes get high primers that didn’t fully seat when running them through a progressive press. 

Up until just the last few weeks, I've been getting CCI's for $79-89 per k. Usually with a 2k limit. Midway, brownells, natchez and another one show in stock weekly or so. They're still selling out within the hour, but its not hard anymore to swoop in and get a brick. 

I've had zero primer problems with any brand. If the price is basically the same, I'll stick with cci though. I think we're all kicking ourselves for not buying up a gazillion $20/1k fiocchis a few years back, but at these prices ill pass on off brands. 

1 hour ago, OnePivot said:

Up until just the last few weeks, I've been getting CCI's for $79-89 per k. Usually with a 2k limit. Midway, brownells, natchez and another one show in stock weekly or so. They're still selling out within the hour, but its not hard anymore to swoop in and get a brick. 

I've had zero primer problems with any brand. If the price is basically the same, I'll stick with cci though. I think we're all kicking ourselves for not buying up a gazillion $20/1k fiocchis a few years back, but at these prices ill pass on off brands. 

I shoot to much would have used them all up by now and be in the same boat.  :)

5 hours ago, radny97 said:

Fiocchi primers are excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. Ginex primers have shot well for me and always pop, but they are very hard to seat in mixed 9mm brass. I sometimes get high primers that didn’t fully seat when running them through a progressive press. 

I just received a new shipment of them and they fixed that issue. They fly through my auto primer filler and seat just like Federals. I was pleasantly surprised!

Edited by bowenbuilt

13 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Shot 20 k of s&b primers they all went bang

Oh the good old days....used to buy S&B form $25/k at Cabela's. Had points so they went down to $17/k. Loaded up then, but this was some 5/6 years ago. Wish I find them for $50 now...

33 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Oh the good old days....used to buy S&B form $25/k at Cabela's. Had points so they went down to $17/k. Loaded up then, but this was some 5/6 years ago. Wish I find them for $50 now...

No the good old days were Winchester White Box for about 5.50 to 7.50 a Thousand.  Making you 38 special SWC (cast your own bullets)  58 and 65 cents a box of 50.  :)

Edited by dannyd

On 8/26/2022 at 12:22 PM, bowenbuilt said:

Have been using Ginex and Murmon for the past 3 years. The newer Ginex with the brass cup is the way to go. They are soft as butter and go pop every time.

I've used the silver and brass colored ones exclusively this season. Shot about 6500 or so by now and haven't had one issue at all. Used with Tanfo stock 2 with lightened hammer spring, multiple P320s, and 2 open guns. I live these primers. 

11 hours ago, RudyVey said:

Ya my cabals had em for $20 per k. Wish i still had some. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 11:02 AM, radny97 said:

I swage every case I reload. I never have issues with seating doing it process first and load later. I will be using Unis Ginex probably for the rest of my life and I am about 100K rounds loaded with them. I had one sideways primer and that was it. I only load on Dillon Super 1050's or Camdex machines and these primers give me zero problems. If you are not loading on a 1050 or 1100 you will always have some issue with seating. On the top of the line Dillon machines seating depth can be adjusted. I had tons of issues in my first two years of reloading until Mike Dillon hooked me up with a RL1100 and life is good since.