Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wsb wording to hold "briefcase" prop

johnbu

1 hour ago, broadside72 said:

Avoid the problems and range lawyers like me. Just say the prop has to go from A to B and must be at B before the last shot or something like that. If someone wants to carry it in the hand, between the knees, throw it, hang it from a bungee, or put it down between shots so be it. It is freestyle right? 

this^^

Did something similar before - I tried to design so it was advantageous for the shooter to carry the prop through the whole COF rather than run the prop to the finish line and shoot the stage in reverse (having the final position be far enough forward and an awkward flow if running backwards helped.  stage layout is critical to making it so most shooters want to just suck it up and carry the prop, but there will be one or two who decide to try their luck and sprint with the object to the end then engage all targets freestyle.  We used kettlebells and ammo cans in the past for this, and normally required they be upright, on a table as their final position (this kept people from chucking the object to the finish line and picking it up later.)  We used heavier weights, but we were shooting in Afghanistan and all our shooters had plenty of hand strength - I'd use something in the 10lb range for a stateside shoot I think.  Nothing to stop the shooter from setting the prop down between firing positions or for reloads.  I made it so there were 8 poppers visible from starting point; 3 silhouettes, a steel activator and swinger visible from finish point, and I believe 9 rounds required between the two points which required movement to or through various positions.  I wanted to make it so shooters could avoid reloading while holding the prop, but if they missed they had to deal with putting the prop down and picking it up again. I found target distance along the COF was critical - too hard of shots and shooters would avoid shooting strong hand, too easy and it wasn't a dilemma on how to engage.  Tuxedo'd targets were helpful for that.  I tried to find that stage on my sketchup account but all my files from sketchup seem to be missing for some reason.  

41 minutes ago, thermobollocks said:

Though, now, I want to see some PCC shooters do the Rhodesian wall, just because.

We did it at one of our larger matches but the "wall" was opened by foot pedal. The thing was that to engage all the targets through the opening you had to switch feet to get the angles. It was great

The best prop for messing with your shooting that I have used was a plastic trick or treat pumpkin bucket with some candy in it, like a kid would use. 

WSB said must be held by the handle with a hand, most held it with their weak hand and also gripped the gun with their weak hand, for the first array, the bucket would swing around from the handle making the sights move all over the place, people let go with their weak hand and shot strong only for the rest of stage pretty quick.

Another thought that @MikeBurgess post made me think of.  Instead of telling them to shoot weak or strong hand put a wall they have to shoot around.  It will be the rare shooter than can lean around a wall while holding a briefcase (or trick or treat pumpkin bucket) and use that hand to support the gun.

If someone figures out how? Well that's why the sport is supposed to be freestyle.  

A good stage design creates the problem not the solution for your shooters.