Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mighty Armory Saami Spec Pistol Dies

WaynePatrick

22 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

I wish I had read this thread before I bought a Decapping and Resizing Die from MA. I just want to add my experience to this thread.

I was getting tired of the ‘extra force’ required with the U-Die (yes, I do use a lube) and not-so-ideal decapping pin design with the Dillon die. I was intrigued by MA’s decapping pin design (screw-on with spring) and decided to give it a shot.

Because of its ‘non-undersizing design’, I was curious/ cautious about the bullet retention, so I made a few with coated bullets (0.356) and plated bullets (0.355). I could not push the coated bullets in but it was effortless to push the plated bullet in with a light force, even after crimping (my crimping is adjusted for the coated bullet with the case mouth just closed).

No go. I am afraid that they will not take it back for refund. I am not going to sell it because of the bullet setback that I have observed with it. I would have to take the loss.

Back to the U-Die. 

Before going back to the U-Die, I'd like to recommend an alternative:  The Redding Pro Carbide Sizing Die!  

https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=87172

After also dealing with what IMO felt like excessive sizing with the U-Die, I returned to the Redding and it has worked flawlessly for my .356" coated bullets along with my match .357" JHP bullets.  Experienced this "adventure" a couple of years ago:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285234-lee-9mm-u-die-new-user-setup/?do=findComment&comment=3179600

Also, if your decapping a lot of "range" type brass, I would have to recommend having these decapping pins as my default:

https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=01059

HTH's  👍

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks, HOGRIDER! I’ve read many of your posts on this forum and really appreciate your help and contribution!

I’m just scrapping $100+ due to the reported issue, so I’m not sure if I want to take another chance with a similar amount of money. I’ll think about it.

but amazing, the die that you recommend is in stock! I checked out Dillons inventory and the lead time for 9mm sizing die is 40+ weeks, lol 

2 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

Many thanks, HOGRIDER! I’ve read many of your posts on this forum and really appreciate your help and contribution!

I’m just scrapping $100+ due to the reported issue, so I’m not sure if I want to take another chance with a similar amount of money. I’ll think about it.

but amazing, the die that you recommend is in stock! I checked out Dillons inventory and the lead time for 9mm sizing die is 40+ weeks, lol 

Understand the additional cash layout; but I feel 110% confident you'll appreciate the quality and smoothness of the premium Redding die.  This has been my ONLY sizing die for the last 10 years!

;)👍

I use Redding dies too.  Great dies and does not undersize excessively.

Might consider buying the Redding Pro die set.  You'll get the Pro seating die (better than regular seating die) and crimp die for a little more than the sizer alone.

https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/product.sc?productId=1241&categoryId=338

If you're concerned about the extra force required to resize 9mm cases, you might consider using lube or rollsizing the cases.  Rollsizing make a noticeable difference and will reduce the amount of cases that will not gauge.

Edited by 67isb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...