Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WRC at Fallon, NV.

5 hours ago, dirtysanchez said:

I'm in Australia.  Mighty kind of you MWP, I'm planning on that match and the IRC this year.  Be good to finally catch up with you and the others.  Usually bring enuf ammo for the match, and just buy some 38 locally for the classifiers and some light practice.  We'll see.  You're mighty welcome over here bro, you have a place to stay if you're in my town.  We just gotta find you some matches!!  Regional is going to be in W.A next year.  Near Perth.  The club running it usually puts on a good match.  They even have a dark room stage usually.😀😀

Fill me in on details when I see you at WRC, I’m curious what travel looks like there with guns. We are spending a few weeks in Iceland this summer, but the wife and I would love to come back to Australia for a trip. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Fill me in on details when I see you at WRC, I’m curious what travel looks like there with guns. We are spending a few weeks in Iceland this summer, but the wife and I would love to come back to Australia for a trip. 

A friend here has discussed the possibility of a BUNCH of us ICORE folks chartering an aircraft to go to Australia for a match.  But I don't think it ever progressed to the point of figuring costs and how many shooters would have to go to make it (somewhat) cost effective.  An interesting idea nonetheless.  

I wonder if anyone else has actually looked into it.  

34 minutes ago, varminter22 said:

A friend here has discussed the possibility of a BUNCH of us ICORE folks chartering an aircraft to go to Australia for a match.  But I don't think it ever progressed to the point of figuring costs and how many shooters would have to go to make it (somewhat) cost effective.  An interesting idea nonetheless.  

I wonder if anyone else has actually looked into it.  

It’s a long ride for a small plane. I looked into an 87 from the west coast to world shoot before covid hit and we needed a full plane to make it all work out financially. I wouldn’t mind being on a plane with a handful of people all traveling to a match with similar paperwork, that always makes customs a little easier when there’s more of us than them!

52 minutes ago, MWP said:

It’s a long ride for a small plane. I looked into an 87 from the west coast to world shoot before covid hit and we needed a full plane to make it all work out financially. I wouldn’t mind being on a plane with a handful of people all traveling to a match with similar paperwork, that always makes customs a little easier when there’s more of us than them!

I think larger aircraft are charterable too!  Ha.  

The question becomes how many shooters and at what cost!

20 minutes ago, varminter22 said:

After a really brief check, it looks like it would be cheaper to individually book commercial flights than to charter.  

At any rate, its an interesting idea!

When I looked and called some airlines for rough quotes and how to pay we were looking at 120-150k round trip without stops from Bay Area to Bangkok for a 787. 

Wow.  But then, a search revealed a 787 can carry 242 passengers.  $120K or $150K / 242 = not bad!  But probably never get THAT many shooters to go!  Ha.   Might need a smaller aircraft!  

I checked an online site and found $1000 to $1500 round trip flights.  Not knowing a date, I chose June.  

Edited by varminter22

• 1 month later...