Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Norma 9mm Brass

Nathanb

8 hours ago, Miranda said:

other than not knowing what a squirrel daddy pin may be...

I use a lee sizing/decapping die and norma brass is not an issue.

and I can only add that 2 dozen norma cases in not my idea that

this is clear path to success.

... or that the cases are changed from what I had.

miranda

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm

is it possible that norma has changed the case design?

the cases sandbagger show are different from the ones I have.

(I had no problem with mine.)   my memory is the cases have a stripe between

norma and the 9mm...

so it may well be when anyone encounters

the 'new' cases, there will be a problem.

photos of a problem case?

I'll go hunt the cases I have...  oh ... boy... where did ...

miranda

Wonder if the differences are from different lots, factory loaded VS new component brass, contracted loads for departments, ect. I’ve found this with WW 45 brass. Factory loaded had a Winchester headstamp with a flat internal base while the component brass was just WW and a rounded base similar to WCC brass.  Some headstamps also had different looking fonts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 7:02 AM, Nathanb said:

Anyone else found the flash hole to be smaller?  I ripped up a sizing pin or two and could not figure out why.  

I thought Maybe the brass had gotten wet and sealed the primers to the brass but after running it through a. Universal recapping does and seeing the enlarged flash hole after the fact it finally clicked. 

I guess it’s supposed to improve consistency in ignition but all I’m finding it to do is cause me to stop loading to clear the brass when I hit one 

I encounter resistance when the pin starts to go in the hole but I push through it and have had no issues. The first couple pieces I found I stopped the press but once I punched a few out I just keep going. Using DIllon dies. 

On 9/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, Farmer said:

Wonder if the differences are from different lots, factory loaded VS new component brass, contracted loads for departments, ect. I’ve found this with WW 45 brass. Factory loaded had a Winchester headstamp with a flat internal base while the component brass was just WW and a rounded base similar to WCC brass.  Some headstamps also had different looking fonts. 

SOmeone was saying they did not intend for these cases to be reloaded.

24 minutes ago, esquared said:

SOmeone was saying they did not intend for these cases to be reloaded.

I kinda wonder about that. I have about 100 Norma 270 Win rifle cases that also have/had a small flashole that were bought new in the late 70’s as component  brass. Think it’s more of a “metric” thing. 😉

I would love to state an ammo manufacturer is thinking about reloaders at any level...

I's bet the decision was made for any reason except stopping reloaders.

a smaller flashhole may have a quality they like

or that the die they use in the drawing the case got  the

flashhole making pin got ground a little thinner in a rebuild...

now we need a flashhole sizer to go with the mil-crimp remover...

well, there may be a reason for two sizing stations in the big new presses.

miranda

6 hours ago, Miranda said:

I would love to state an ammo manufacturer is thinking about reloaders at any level...

I's bet the decision was made for any reason except stopping reloaders.

a smaller flashhole may have a quality they like

or that the die they use in the drawing the case got  the

flashhole making pin got ground a little thinner in a rebuild...

now we need a flashhole sizer to go with the mil-crimp remover...

well, there may be a reason for two sizing stations in the big new presses.

miranda

Smaller flash holes were generally used in target rifle rounds such a 6 ppc along with small primers. Supposedly more consistent and less violent ignition, better ES blah blah blah. In my brass I actually achieved better consistency and higher velocities after I uniformed the flash holes to a standard size. I suppose in a super tuned ultra match rifle it would be born out to be true but in my vanilla hunting rifle that’s the difference that I found. Either way a quick spin with a flashole uniformer and your good. 

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Smaller flash holes were generally used in target rifle rounds such a 6 ppc along with small primers. Supposedly more consistent and less violent ignition, better ES blah blah blah. In my brass I actually achieved better consistency and higher velocities after I uniformed the flash holes to a standard size. I suppose in a super tuned ultra match rifle it would be born out to be true but in my vanilla hunting rifle that’s the difference that I found. Either way a quick spin with a flashole uniformer and your good. 

I have to admit I had not heard of a flash hole uniformer.  live and learn.

ummm?  ya still need to decap the case before you can run the uniformer?

miranda

1 hour ago, Miranda said:

I have to admit I had not heard of a flash hole uniformer.  live and learn.

ummm?  ya still need to decap the case before you can run the uniformer?

miranda

Yes de-cap and drill out the flash hole, basically. Here’s the tool, I’m sure you’ve seen them. I cheat and chuck the tool in my lathe and wear heavy gloves and zip through them.6634B12B-7D05-4C9F-80CA-621A1A937C40.thumb.jpeg.2b00678a7872f970de66b517d6de14e5.jpeg

Edited by Farmer
Added

• 1 month later...

Some of the Norma brass I received lately had the smaller hole and some had 'regular' sized holes. Even with my eyes I can see the difference. The smaller ones get tossed into the recycling bucket and the larger one go in the press. The cases I've inspected with the smaller hole, that have gone through the press, have a flare into the primer pocket. I'm not willing to bet that it won't affect how the primer works, so I toss them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, Miranda said:

hmmmm

is it possible that norma has changed the case design?

it is a certainty that the design has changed. I was pulling out norma cases for several months, but the ones I am finding now have a larger flash hole that decaps easily.

• 1 year later...

It didn't occur to me to check the flash hole, but I was reloading 9mm last night and ran into 2 cases (both Norma) that just absolutely refused to go into the Dillon sizing die.  It felt like I was going to break my RL550B if I tried any harder.  I tossed both into the spent primer bin...but now I may dig them out and try examining the flash hole.

If you can't decap them by normal means, why bother?  I did dig one out of my primer bin last night, and sure enough, it's got a tiny pin hole of a flash hole.

Sounds like the Norma brass uses the smaller flash hole like Lapua 6mm BR. There is a slightly smaller decapping pin used on 6BR dies that might fit your dies IF you want to use that brass. 

• 1 month later...

I have found the F.W. ARMS™ SIMPLE DECAPPER for $35 to be beast. I run it in my autodrive 1150 prepping 9mm. it pops Norma primers out without stopping the press. I have procced 12000 cases plus. The pin has not bent yet, unlike dillion and lee deprimers.

Ed