Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry guns at matches

Hvansky

Hello all!

How many of you all have shot your Glock carry gun at matches? I’ve actually been toying around with the idea of shooting my Glock 48 all year at a match and now that my majors are done for the year, I’m going to be having my first match with it this weekend. I’ll be shooting prod and have my rig all set up.

For those who have shot matches with their edc, what did you find out about your carry gun? How did the match go? Did you have any takeaways? 

Have a good one!

Not a glock, but I shot my carry gun at a match once I need to get around to doing it again. I also shot it from concealment in the clothes I wear everyday, not gamer concealment like they used in IDPA LOL.

Mostly I learned that drawing, but especially reloading in general daily wear is a pain in the ass. Also learned that if I shot my gun to slide lock and inserted the hell out of my reload that didn't have a sleeve on it the mag would over insert slightly so when you hit the slide release nothing happened. You can simply yank back the slide and a gun would go right in the battery though. All of those things were very good to learn

31 minutes ago, RJH said:

Not a glock, but I shot my carry gun at a match once I need to get around to doing it again. I also shot it from concealment in the clothes I wear everyday, not gamer concealment like they used in IDPA LOL.

Mostly I learned that drawing, but especially reloading in general daily wear is a pain in the ass. Also learned that if I shot my gun to slide lock and inserted the hell out of my reload that didn't have a sleeve on it the mag would over insert slightly so when you hit the slide release nothing happened. You can simply yank back the slide and a gun would go right in the battery though. All of those things were very good to learn

I also shoot an occasional IDPA match with my carry gun & carry mode. I find it very helpful... both for practice with my carry guns (Glock 29 and M&P 9mm compact) and for practice with my normal carry mode -- which in FL is gun & spare mag under a loose fitting tee shirt. It's simple & effective CC practice.

I'm figuring on shooting matches with my G48 also. Only question (before I order any), are the ETS 19rd mags <140mm and therefore legal for Limited/CO? I've got a few ShieldArms 15rounders (and a couple with +5 rd extensions) and have already had a couple misfeeds with them.

back when a g19 / owb was my carry gun i shot some idpa matches with it.  now that i carry a g43x aiwb i should also do a few matches with it.  i don't have any mag pouches though but guess i need to work thru that.

not that i'm in danger of winning any matches, but my carry guns never seem to be the 'cheatingnest' in any division and i hate automatically giving up positions...

'

I shoot my carry gun in carry optics, I shoot it from appendix. Normally I will finish anywhere from 1-5 local match’s. From appendix I haven’t finished lower than 3... once proficient from appendix I don’t think it’s slowing me down at all

On 8/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, Igloodude said:

I'm figuring on shooting matches with my G48 also. Only question (before I order any), are the ETS 19rd mags <140mm and therefore legal for Limited/CO? I've got a few ShieldArms 15rounders (and a couple with +5 rd extensions) and have already had a couple misfeeds with them.

The answer to this is, they're 177mm in length, so not legal for USPSA.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years, I've used many pistol platforms in both pistol and multi gun matches. Running your carry piece is the way these sports started, and your question leads to a bigger question: Are you shooting to game, to train, or both? I mainly shoot to train, and because I enjoy it, but I say there's room for both. Many times, I would shoot a 5" version of my 4" carry piece, with a refined service trigger in both. When I got more into the gaming/competitive aspect, I was shooting a 2011 with a trigger that was too light for street use. So, my answer is "yes", I shoot my carry piece in matches, especially if it's a new piece. I'm gaining proficiency and confidence with the same tool lives could depend on, while testing reliability, in the elements. If your new piece has an issue, 5 or 6 matches will usually shake it out. What better reasons to burn some ammo? ;)

I started shooting USPSA back in ‘94 with a 1911 out of my duty rig.  
Later I transitioned to my EDC set up, and then started gaming.  

Never stopped having fun, and watched my overall shooting skills progress as I shot/competed more.  

Edited by superslowmo

Good Day!

I compete using my carry guns, wheelies and bottom feeders. It has been helpful to gain experience with each of them in a variety of shooting situations. Through that experience you gain an understanding of what performance you can expect from each platform. I've also confirmed my carry gun selection is solid as each of them have allowed me to do well. I hope this help encourage you to use your carry piece as much as you can so you get better with it. Cheers!

Good Day Again,

Yeah, I forgot to add that using your carry guns in competition you are able to learn where all the rough or sharp spots are. That way you can figure out what need to be polished or smoothed over. I can also point out my great appreciation for Glock's consistency. Regardless of caliber or model they all pretty much handle and shoot to the similar point of aim matching the point of impact.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

I have a G34 for production and a G17 MOS for carry. I ran my G17 in a few SC matches and I am likely going to convert my production gun into a CO gun so I am not tempted to start modding my carry. Major reason is that my carry with stock springs does not like my 130pf loads. Wish I bought a MOS model when I got the 34.

• 4 months later...

I compete with a Shadow 2 a with and SRO and I carry and G45 with a 509T. I like to shoot a USPSA match or two every year with my carry set up just for the heck of it. I feel more confident with my carry gun after a match than if I were to just shoot my carry gun at a practice session.

I compete with a gen 3 Glock 17 and sro, and I carry a gen 3 Glock 17 and sro. Identical set ups, my carry gun is lower round count and not used for practice sessions, but serves as a match back up gun. I have a 19/Rmr combo at home, but that’s really more for my wife than me. The only thing I may change in the future is carrying with an aimpoint acro or Steiner MPS. I snagged a brownells acro slide and had my original Glock slide with internals sitting around to throw into it.  I love the SRO but it collects a bunch of dust and dirt in the window 

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot my EDC Glock 43X at quite a few USPSA matches in Limited.  I shoot Limited because I carry AIWB and that's legal.  To help even the playing field, I do use Shield Arms 20 round mags for matches.  Even though I haven't had an issue with the Shield Arms mags in 2000 rounds, I don't totally trust them and use OEM mags for carry.  I also shot several IDPA matches with my G43 (with Vickers +2 extensions) quite a few years ago.   

I have began to dabble in CO and putting together a G17/407C gun but I will circle back and shoot my 43X from time to time in matches for good measure.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I shoot my carry guns quite often at matches,,, But then my carry guns arrnt the same as others., When I was raising pigmy goats my carry gun was my 686 pro series,,  with a solid rest I was minute of canine at 50 yards.,,
I really want a full size XDM 45 if anyone has one in Kansas for mounted carry in a tankers rig,,

+