Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is brassing a thing of the past?

JayDee

My experience when people brassed was when we still had paper scoring. And 14 or 15 person squads weren't thought of as big.

Shooter who previously shot doing nothing.

Shooter about to shoot walking stage.

Shooter on deck visualizing. 

Shooter in hole doing something that is easy.

One score keeper. One RO. 

Three people brass and mags. That leaves 4 or 5 to tape and set.

Heck I also remember having nets on 3' poles and catching the brass while people shot before it even hit the ground. But now a days that'd ruin their perfect instagram cinematography. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always had a few that picked brass for the squad, but any more new shooters don't reload, and our local numbers have gone down a lot so we don't have enough people to do it, every one is doing the RO stuff or reset. rowdyb is spot on, it's now all about the gram, anything else just takes away from showing how good you are on the social media side of shooting, and we all know that's what is the most important part of the game.

With Major 9 so prevalant I don't pick up 9mm brass.  The brass I shoot at local matches have enough firings I'm not worried about it, kind of like just disposing of it I guess.  But then I don't shoot much else than Revolver anymore, and I get "ALL" of my brass back!

locally 2 things happened that together ended universal brass picking. 

1, our matches got bigger, for years we were running 14-18 shooter squads so people stopped doing anything that didn't make the stages go faster.

2, once fired brass in 9 and 40 got cheep, we had a guy selling cleaned brass for $20/k to fund his shooting, most shooters that reloaded decided that their match was more than $3 more enjoyable not worrying about brass at all.

i do a lot of stuff myself to save money, and to have it done right, but for $40-50 for a thousand 9mm brass, picked, sorted, cleaned, polished and shipped, i've been paying that for the easy button.

2 hours ago, davsco said:

i do a lot of stuff myself to save money, and to have it done right, but for $40-50 for a thousand 9mm brass, picked, sorted, cleaned, polished and shipped, i've been paying that for the easy button.

Same for me. I haven't been sweating losing brass much. But it is nice at some matches to get a decent amount of brass back.

15 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Never even heard of this "brassing" till I clicked on this thread.

Same here.  And would not do it if that was still a thing around here.

Those who want their brass back can pick it up after the match.  I pick up my brass after a practice session.  But after a match, when I'm hot, thirsty, hungry, tired, and my back is on fire (I do have a chronic back injury) I am in absolutely no mood to stoop over and pick 150+ brass casings.

I'll pay for more brass after the season is over.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

5 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Those who want their brass back can pick it up after the match.  I pick up my brass after a practice session.  But after a match, when I'm hot, thirsty, hungry, tired, and my back is on fire (I do have a chronic back injury) I am in absolutely no mood to stoop over and pick 150+ brass casings.

That's why 2 or 3 people did it each shooter. And we used nets and grabbers. Easy job, better than pasting, and easy to get 10 cases from 3 or4 shooting positions. 

But individual needs cloaked in the name of efficiency have killed the process 

meh. can't say I care much. I just pick up brass for 60 seconds after we're done shooting the stage. I still get to the next stage and am ready to pay attention earlier than the rest of the squad.

We used to also do the brass thing during scoring, and in my recollection, it generally took longer.

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

It’s possible to pick up a shooters brass in the same amount of time it takes to score the targets.

Nobody knows whose brass is whose when the floor is carpeted in casings.  Just like 10 rounds in CO, this brassing thing ain't coming back.

You get what you get at the end.

21 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

another same here practice yes we all pick up match let her fly for sure, I figure someone gets nice brass if they want it   (and likewise my back says " leave it")

On the rare occasions I get to practice, I lay a tarp down to catch most of the brass and make it easy to pick up.  At a match, it's much more scattered and harder to pick up.  After the match, my back is way too sore to go around and pick up brass.  It's just one of those decisions we're forced to make.  The pain penalty I'd have to pay to go around and pick up brass is not worth the effort, even though I'd surely be able to pick up 3 or 4 times as much as I shot.  I'm just too tired and sore.

But, 15+ years ago, I would surely take a walk around after a match and pick up roughly twice as much as I shot, only because nobody seemed to want it.

12 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Nobody knows whose brass is whose when the floor is carpeted in casings.  Just like 10 rounds in CO, this brassing thing ain't coming back.

You get what you get at the end.

But the floor wouldn't be carpeted if done correctly.  

Our range is not littered with brass - except after a match, then scroungers have at it.  

Edited by varminter22

If you start with a clean bay it's pretty easy to pick up brass after each shooter. Let's say you got 100 pieces of brass back that don't have to be replaced at 3 cents each( ballpark). You could look at it as for that 100 rounds those 10 cent primers now are only 7 cents. People are knocking themselves out to save on primers.

4 hours ago, MHicks said:

If you start with a clean bay it's pretty easy to pick up brass after each shooter. Let's say you got 100 pieces of brass back that don't have to be replaced at 3 cents each( ballpark). You could look at it as for that 100 rounds those 10 cent primers now are only 7 cents. People are knocking themselves out to save on primers.

it's just as easy for the handful of people who GAF to spend 60 seconds picking up MORE brass than they shot when the squad finishes the stage, and then if you are greedy or go to lots of lost-brass majors, you can spend another 5-8 mins after teardown picking up more brass than you shot again. I've never actually bought brass so I don't know much about that, but it's easy to pick up more brass than you need in our area.

8 hours ago, varminter22 said:

But the floor wouldn't be carpeted if done correctly.  

Our range is not littered with brass - except after a match, then scroungers have at it.  

Done correctly?  LOL.....

In my area done correctly means you stay behind after the match is over if you want brass.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Done correctly?  LOL.....

In my area done correctly means you stay behind after the match is over if you want brass.

Yeah.  When I started USPSA and like others have said, it used to be the norm.

Edited by varminter22

19 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Times change.  Most things change.  Many do so permanently.

well I have been around since production started,,, Before that 9mm wasnt common. People shot 38 super and 45  then 40,,,  so wasnt alot of cheap 9mm ammo. So I imagine a lot higher percent of shooters reloaded. 
Then came IDPA and production and the days of $9 Walmart Winchester white box 100 round boxes. Times were good, ammo was cheap. For that matter right before covid 9mm was so cheap it wasnt worth my time to reload.