mrvip27

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I got a Hydra P for my Shadow 2, the one with the fixed, clamp-to-the-belt-with-screws attachment.

My only frame of reference is your typical Comp-Tac/JMCK/RHT gun bucket on a BOSS hanger so that is what I am comparing it to below

Observations

• The hanger is thinner than a BOSS.  I've done all the bending and moving that I've always done with my BOSS and it hasn't bent.
  • The draw has zero resistance and almost no drag.  There's a small plastic set screw on the part of the holster where the pic rail should rest.  Needs to be adjusted to take the wiggle out of the pistol in there.

Positives

• The race holster lock is awesome.  It took me 5 seconds to figure out how to use it.  You can lock the pistol in with the lever up or down.  With the lever down, you can reach down with your fingers with your hand on the butt of the gun and flip it up on the draw if you forget to undo it at make ready.  You'd have to be pretty absent minded to forget to unlock it at make ready anyway
  • It's $100 with the hanger.  No other combination of holsters and hangers (that are worth using) comes close to that in price
  • It took a week to get to me, not 5 - 6 months
  • It adjusts in more planes than a BOSS.  I really dig the way the holster can rotate around the post to place the gun in a perfect orientation to my hand when it reaches up.

Negatives

• The BOSS has a longer range of vertical adjustment.  However, the Ghost lets me get the gun low enough and still be legal
  • The UHMW block where the trigger guard locks into has some seriously sharp edges around the back on the outside.  My right middle finger left blood all over it.  Fixed in 10 minutes with sandpaper, files, and a dremel.
  • It only comes in black

Verdict: 9/10 would buy again

22 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I got a Hydra P for my Shadow 2, the one with the fixed, clamp-to-the-belt-with-screws attachment.

My only frame of reference is your typical Comp-Tac/JMCK/RHT gun bucket on a BOSS hanger so that is what I am comparing it to below

Observations

• The hanger is thinner than a BOSS.  I've done all the bending and moving that I've always done with my BOSS and it hasn't bent.
  • The draw has zero resistance and almost no drag.  There's a small plastic set screw on the part of the holster where the pic rail should rest.  Needs to be adjusted to take the wiggle out of the pistol in there.

Positives

• The race holster lock is awesome.  It took me 5 seconds to figure out how to use it.  You can lock the pistol in with the lever up or down.  With the lever down, you can reach down with your fingers with your hand on the butt of the gun and flip it up on the draw if you forget to undo it at make ready.  You'd have to be pretty absent minded to forget to unlock it at make ready anyway
  • It's $100 with the hanger.  No other combination of holsters and hangers (that are worth using) comes close to that in price
  • It took a week to get to me, not 5 - 6 months
  • It adjusts in more planes than a BOSS.  I really dig the way the holster can rotate around the post to place the gun in a perfect orientation to my hand when it reaches up.

Negatives

• The BOSS has a longer range of vertical adjustment.  However, the Ghost lets me get the gun low enough and still be legal
  • The UHMW block where the trigger guard locks into has some seriously sharp edges around the back on the outside.  My right middle finger left blood all over it.  Fixed in 10 minutes with sandpaper, files, and a dremel.
  • It only comes in black

Verdict: 9/10 would buy again

Great review, thank you. Where are you getting it for $100?

• 1 month later...

Can someone post a pic of their gun in the holster (mounted on the belt)?  I couldn't get the imgur links to work.  My concern is the length of the hanger.  In the few pics/videos I'vs seen, the hanger doesn't appear to allow the gun to ride as low as the typical BOSS/bucket rig does.  

Edited by deerslayer

Hi @deerslayer Here you go. Sorry if the pics dont seem so good but hope it helps you.

I have the P+ model (with the C clip) and the P model (the one you have to screw with the plates onto your belt). These are pics with my Stock 1 holstered.

I have put the P+ holster at the lowest point it can go without a forward cant.

The P model you cannot adjust for height, only cant.

P+3 e.jpg

P+1 e.jpg

P+2 e.jpg

P side e.jpg

P rear e.jpg

P rear 2 e.jpg

Edited by DenC

11 hours ago, DenC said:

The P model you cannot adjust for height, only cant.

P+2 e.jpg

Nope

The Hydra P has the same exact adjustments as the P+.  The only difference is in how the hanger attaches to the belt.

Here's my Hydra P with a Shadow 2 in it.  It's not all the way down.  The two lower set screws allow you to adjust height and rotation about the vertical when loosened.

20230210_163905.jpg

20230210_163916.jpg

20230210_164058.jpg

Hmmm, my p model has a different attachment vs your p model and my p+ model. This is the pic of the attachment of my p model. Also note this holster's belt attachment (same as yours). Bought mine from Ghost Italy.

1208511760_Prear2e.jpg.804634f3378a00837dd186805ea40462.jpg

Edited by DenC

3 hours ago, DenC said:

Hmmm, my p model has a different attachment vs your p model and my p+ model. This is the pic of the attachment of my p model. Also note this holster's belt attachment (same as yours). Bought mine from Ghost Italy.

1208511760_Prear2e.jpg.804634f3378a00837dd186805ea40462.jpg

I got mine almost right after they were available, I have the same  attachment type.

8 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Nope

The Hydra P has the same exact adjustments as the P+.  The only difference is in how the hanger attaches to the belt.

Here's my Hydra P with a Shadow 2 in it.  It's not all the way down.  The two lower set screws allow you to adjust height and rotation about the vertical when loosened.

20230210_163905.jpg

20230210_163916.jpg

20230210_164058.jpg

Yours has a different attachment type, looks like the older ghost holsters, and give more adjustment.

5 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

@Arcrunner @DenC I bought my Hydra P from Ghost USA in December of 22.  https://ghostholsterdirect.com/product/hydra-p/

Maybe there has been a running change to make the two much more similar.

Yes, I think so. In the original announcement video for the P, I noticed that the two versions have different mounting options but had to look closely. I also noticed a fellow local shooter with one for a P320, and it had the newer one like for the P+, but I think I assumed that was a p320 model specific one. Actually would prefer the newer one.

The main reason I prefer the P+ with the 3G mount is so I can remove/reattach the holster to my belt easily. I wanted all my gear to fit into my range backpack and being able to remove the holster helps to keep things compact. 

There may be some movement of the P+ on the belt when attached but it has not bothered me at all.

Though I have the "older" model P (with the screw on belt attachment and with lesser adjustability), I have never used it and I am only assuming it would be much more stable on the belt.

If you ever get the P, it would be best if you get the newer variant with more adjustability just like Johnny Chimpo's holster in the previous thread responses.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DenC said:

Wow this looks interesting. Does anyone already have one? Would like to see some pictures of the back side with the holster installed.

I just ordered one and waiting for it to arrive. 

7 hours ago, DenC said:

Wow this looks interesting. Does anyone already have one? Would like to see some pictures of the back side with the holster installed.

Significantly more stiff. Big upgrade 👍 Unfortunately the tiny allowable file size for uploads here won’t let me attach a picture.

• 1 month later...

Range Panda on left and Ghost on right. 

Range Panda significantly thicker and lighter than the Ghost. Both are non-magnetic so the lightening holes in the RP bracket helps. 

IMG_1655.jpeg