Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old vs new 2011 - opinions

moebravo

I have bought several used guns listed on the Classified Forum.  No lemons.  I did what I always do with a used gun.  I cleaned and lubed it and replaced every spring.

If you are worried about the quality of a used gun, ask for a three day non-firing inspection period.  If you decide it is not a good deal, the most you are out is shipping both ways.

I've only received one 'bad gun'.  A 1911 Colt National Match 45.  I was on the way back to the dealer to have it sent back when the seller returned my call.  I told him what was wrong and I was returning it.  He offered $400 as compensation.  I accepted, because it could be repaired for that amount.

This was before I started building my own guns.  This is a little off topic, but in the same vein.  Be careful where you buy your new parts from.  It makes a difference.  All manufacturers grade their products.  They keep the good stuff for their own use, or to sell directly.  The not so perfect stuff gets sold to third-party sellers.  Learned the hard way.  Now I buy direct from the manufacturer, even if I don't get a dealer discount.  It's just easier to build with good stuff with good dims and all the holes in the right locations.  Another tip- buy from someone who will let you return an item after inspection if necessary.  Have them replace it.  You'll get a good one second time around.